RB Jamar Taylor's Waiver

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Wow talk about from the poor house to the penthouse.  Hopefully the line will give our guys some holes to run through since we seem to be over flowing with talent in the backfield. 

finally someone addressed the line after all the posts about how great the running game is going to be... if the line isn't any better than last year, I don't care if we have Barry Sanders in the backfield.  Getting Hardrick at USF would have been a better upgrade to the running game than getting either Ford or Taylor. 

Glad Taylor made it, but hope the line is a lot better or it will be a waste of talent. 

Well returning four starters, and five guys that have started should help.  This OL could be the biggest with Dile and Walker both over 310lbs, Griffin and Hermann both at 310lbs, and Capogna albeit not very big for an OL he's the biggest he's ever been at 275lbs.  For USF that's the biggest OL we've ever had, even when Miller was center they say he only played between 280-265lbs during his playing days.  That has to translate into a slightly better OL.  Also, having very big backs with acceleration ability to exploit holes will help.  This program has never had a 6-1 225lbs RB running behind such a big line.

It's not going to be ARK's running attack, but with the spread and threat of Grothe running it should provide more opportunities for the running attack.

On paper they should be much improved hopefully they will be on the field as well. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

www.theledger.com

Published Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Taylor Cleared to Play In USF Season Opener

By Rick Brown

The Ledger

Jamar Taylor of Lakeland High School on the practice field of the school in Lakeland ,Fl. August 2, 2006. For the prep football tab. (David Mills/The Ledger)

TAMPA

Former Lakeland High School standout running back Jamar Taylor received his waiver from the NCAA and will be able to play in USF's season-opening game Saturday against Elon College. The game is scheduled for a 7:05 p.m. kickoff at Raymond James Stadium and will be shown live on Catch 47. Taylor, who transferred from the University of Alabama and enrolled at USF earlier this month, had waited for the waiver so he would not have to sit out a year, per NCAA transfer rules.

"He will be able to play and you'll see him play this Saturday night,"said USF coach Jim Leavitt. "We're awful excited about that."

As of now, Taylor is listed as a backup running back if the Bulls go with two running backs in the backfield behind Aston Samuels. But he will definitely get a chance in the crowded USF backfield.

If the Bulls start with one running back, former Lake Wales back Ben Williams will get the start. Leavitt also said Taylor could see some action as a kickoff returner.

Taylor is 5-foot-9 and 204 pounds and was one of many stars on the Lakeland Dreadnaughts' 2006 championship team. Taylor rushed for 1,062 yards and scored 13 touchdowns as a senior. He enrolled at Alabama early, had a great spring and was being counted on to contribute.

But Taylor said earlier this month he wanted to get back home to be close to his 1-year-old son Jamar Jr.

In other eligibility news, Leavitt said freshman defensive tackle Corian Garrison did get clearance from the NCAA Clearinghouse and now it is up to the school to admit him.

Finally, USF starting quarterback Matt Grothe said he actually enjoyed the time away from practice. Grothe, who missed a week of practice with a hip-pointer, returned to practice Monday.

"It was kind of nice," he said shyly, wondering if he would get in trouble for admitting that. "But after a couple of days, it got old."

[ Rick Brown can be reached at rick.brown@theledger.com or at 863-802-7569 ]

• Content Count:  12,293

so what does this mean for Richard Kelly?

I've been wondering this as well. If I had to guess, I think he redshirts now...

wasnt Kelly going to be used as a fullback?  if thats the case i say he still plays.  kelly is a beast and im sure could be one helluva lead blocker.  it would be something to see USF with a power run game to go with Grothe's great acturate arm

• Content Count:  7,890

Why don't they redshirt him?  We've got way too much depth at RB now...

because if he gets the waiver, he has a good chance of contributing right away.

There is no such thing as too much depth, especially since it is all unproven.

yeah just look at USC and all the backs they have errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................. had

• Content Count:  919

The line is good enough for the RB's to produce. This line is better than the ones Andre Hall ran behind, and he did alright.  I also just watched the WV game again, and there were plenty of holes that, if we had a great RB, he could have turned those 4 yard gains into 20 yarders. 

If the tackles stay healthy, this should be the most productive USF offense ever.

• Content Count:  4,642

so what does this mean for Richard Kelly?

I've been wondering this as well. If I had to guess, I think he redshirts now...

wasnt Kelly going to be used as a fullback?  if thats the case i say he still plays.  kelly is a beast and im sure could be one helluva lead blocker.  it would be something to see USF with a power run game to go with Grothe's great acturate arm

What about Taylor being used in the fullback position?  Wasn't that his primary role in highschool?  I know Kelly is more built for that, so what do you all think?

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

he was used as a FB in hs, but that is because of who he was paired with in the backfield.  I don't think that would work quite as well in DI college, but i'm sure that blocking skill will come in handy.

Heck, that is the reason Ben Williams is the starter right now... his blocking ability (paired with knowledge of the offense).  If you could put someone that is a good blocker in there, but also a threat to break off a monster run at any given moment, you have one more added dimension.

If Ford could turn into a great blocker... yikes!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

Sweet...That was my brother's jersey. I didn't know they auctioned it off.

Tell him that I am honored to have won it. Saturday will most likely be the first and last time I wear it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

BOLD PREDICTION #1

We will have 4 RB's over 100 yards this Saturday !  :o

BOLD PREDICTION #2

We'll have 2 RB's over 100 yards against Auburn !!

BOLD PREDICTION #3

Taylor will be USF's Leading Rusher for the Season !!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

BOLD PREDICTION #1

We will have 4 RB's over 100 yards each Saturday !  :o

What about Thursday and Friday?

BOLD PREDICTION #2

We'll have 2 RB's over 100 yards against Auburn !!

Isn't this covered in Prediction #1?

Archived