Dumb a$$ BEEF STUD on 620

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

oh and the host had no clue Ponton is no longer on the team

That's what I wanted to know.  Thanks.

Figures he didn't have a clue.  We'll eventually get to the point where local sports radio hosts, and the "fans" that call in know a thing or two about the team.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,319
  • Days Won:  11

You know, actually, I'm pretty tired of this. One of the main reasons the Beef Studs exists is because the "Green and Gold Guys" turned ME away from painting up with them my freshman year in 2001. I'm the guy who got my friends, Ryan Capahi and Alex Velasquez, together and started the Beef Studs. We named them, we solicited money from Dr. Silverman to start them, and we lead them to be a group untainted with misbehavior, drinking, or other actions unbecoming of Bulls fans leading a spirited example. We did it for no other reasons than supporting our university and showing school spirit. We didn't have a great football team then, in a BCS conference, and all this good stuff we have now. We did it out of pure love for USF.

During my tenure at USF, I did my best to maintain an excellent relationship with the Green N Gold Guys regardless of the fact that they turned me away because they only wanted to have two people in their group, and I still run into Walter everywhere (including social events outside of USF) and we're good buddies. Unfortunately, the two new freshman that followed did not follow the tradition of collegiality for reasons that are unknown to me. I recall the very first time that I saw you guys, Bishop, there was an air of animosity towards we Beef Studs, which made no sense to me, and over the year I came to understand that for whatever reason you didn't want to get along with us. I'm certain your predecessors wouldn't have directed you to be that way. Truth be told, I never pulled you aside personally to talk about it, and I should have. Hindsight is 20/20. But I do know that to my knowledge, you had no reason to send scathing stares and smacktalk our way. Perhaps you've identified some now, of course, but the coldness displayed by the new Green N Gold Guys wasn't initiated by the Beef Studs. I was their leader. If there is something unknown to me that would help me understand, please do let me know.

The primary reason that the Beef Studs sometimes have people paint with them who aren't solely "pure, well-versed, perfectly behaved, know-it-all fans" is because they let ANY student who wants to paint up join in. They're an A&S-funded student org, but the tradition of letting anyone paint up dates back to my first year starting the Studs. That's why there's over 500 students on the roster this year, and it's why some less-than-exemplary students in paint were seen behaving imperfectly last year. There were also some of those less-than-exemplary folks who have been asked not to continue painting if such behavior continues, as well as a few who are gone due to graduation. The Beef Studs learned through growing pains that it's not always best to have the "most spirited" person lead, because the leadership for the past two years (after I left for med school at U. Miami) didn't focus on curbing less-than-professional behavior. The Beef Studs had to learn through growing pains that more focus had to be placed on representing USF, and not just being wild and crazy with their spirit and their paint. But you know what, I'm proud that the Beef Studs are HAVING growing pains, because when I wanted to show my spirit my freshman year in 2001, I got turned away. So you might say, my good friend Bishop, that your former organization spawned the Beef Studs.  I love that we've infected hundreds of Bulls fans to want to paint up in school colors to show their pride. I hope someday USF will be recognized for having the most spirited fans in the nation. But, they are students, they're not perfect, and they do have to learn how to conduct themselves. And PLEASE people, it's not a requirement that our painted folks be extremely well-versed on our football team, just that they have raw, unadulterated school spirit. Whom else does that sound like.... sounds like the words straight from the keyboard of a Green N Gold Guy (in another recent thread on this board).

The behavior problems of last year were due to the actions of a few Beef Studs who are gone. The rest were unhappy with them, and there has been extensive efforts put in by the current executive board to ensure none of it happens again. It's not easy running a big organization made up of college students who participate in actions that are likely to attract people who are less than shy. It's especially not easy when the students who are leading the organization are LEARNING how to lead, much less lead a large organization. That's what the university is for, to help people learn. Please stop criticizing them for their mistakes and HELP THEM LEARN if you have an issue. In addition, I don't want to hear any more BS about how some Beef Studs don't know the number of yards that #23 ran backwards while holding three footballs and doing a handstand... they're not required to know everything about USF's sports teams to paint up with the Beef Studs. So what if some student who paints with the Beef Studs didn't know Ponton was let go? We're happy to have him/her paint up with us regardless. We don't judge, we just support USF pride.

Wow, I don't know how you found that out, but you're half right. I was the fat kid, and yes I had a girlfriend that went to UCF at the time and regretably transfered over there the next year. The little guy (James) and I had somewhat of a falling out due to a mutual friend we had. We're cool now, but have both since graduated, so we really shouldn't be doing it anymore. We always had a problem with the beef studs being camera whores and crappy fans; James and I always knew all there was to know about USF football. I even had a sports talk show on WBUL back in the day! On that note, I think it may be time to recruit some new Green and Gold guys! If you or someone you know would be interested let me know and I'll be the bankroll and coordinator. Send me a message or respond back to this thread. Ever since I stopped doing it, I wanted to bring it back and get the tradition going again.

P.S. I eventually dumped the chick and transferred bask to USF to graduate, in case you question my devotion to the bulls.

Now that I've written my piece and re-read your verbage, I'm more angered. You've got some explaining to do, because you have taken it upon yourself to judge others. The Green N Gold Guys were conspicuously absent from a lot of sporting events over the past few years, and now I learn it is because of a falling out of friendship and a transfer to UCF. I understand that life matters come before duties to an organization at times, but I'm at a loss for how you could judge the Beef Studs for being "camera whores and crappy fans" when you contributed to a temporary failure in the upholding of a USF tradition started by a generation of students your elder. I respect that you're back and trying to rectify the situation now, although I have never appreciated the Green N Gold Guys' air of exclusivity (which as I mentioned above, motivated me to create my own organization of body painters). You might also note that the Green N Gold Guys are on just about every USF Magazine, publication, brochure, and media release in that photo that was taken your freshman year. It's hard to throw rocks when you live in a glass house - how can YOU see fit to call the Beef Studs "camera whores?" In addition, by smacktalking your fellow Bulls fans, you in essence are being a "crappy fan" yourself. USF fans get enough smacktalk from other universities, particularly the one you transferred to, and from the "Big Three," without USF fans beating up on fellow USF fans. FYI, I do not question your devotion to the Bulls. Everybody makes mistakes, and I'm not interested in re-hashing anyone else's other than to defend the organization that I spent years building. You are obviously a big supporter and you're back to keep the Green N Gold Guys going, and I respect that.

While I really appreciate the student body trying to get behind the team, I seem to only hear about these guys doing stupid stuff like harrassing other fans (while being drunk of their @ss) or crap like this. Who are these jokers and who can reign them in. I remember a situation last year where they harrassed some other students for being in the front row of the student section at RayJay. Security needs to really target these guys and get them out of the stadium if they can't control their drinking or at least their behavior torwards the other fans. This isn't freaking high school. Where are their freinds in those situations. pull them aside and kick their @ss until they snap to. JMHO

I hope, good sir, I have addressed enough of your concerns to alleviate your seemingly ignorant concerns obtained through what sounds like third-party information. If I have not, please feel free to E-mail me or message me and I'd be happy to detail the painstaking process that the Beef Studs have gone through this past year, spearheaded by Brittany Link (gurlybull) and I, as well as the executive board, to ensure that none of the rumors or stories you've heard have any reason to continue propagating.

• Content Count:  38

They're a bunch of drunk idiots. End of story.

Are you trying to look like a *****? You would have the nerve to post that after what I just wrote? Who the hell are you?

• Content Count:  6,773
  • Days Won:  19

I would never condone drinking and supporting USF athletics  ;D... never happened on my watch  ;D

• Content Count:  38

Are you trying to look like a *****? You would have the nerve to post that after what I just wrote? Who the hell are you?

No, just speaking from personal experiences.  The studs are annoying drunks.  Get a hold of them and prove me wrong.  Please prove me wrong.

No, just speaking from personal experiences.  The studs are annoying drunks.  Get a hold of them and prove me wrong.  Please prove me wrong.

As I wrote above, they've been gotten a hold of, and they will prove you no longer correct. There will certainly be, beyond a shadow of a doubt, no more students allowed to drink when painted. They've been told repeatedly if they're going to do that they can do it on their own time, but not as a representative of the group, and it won't be tolerated for a single second.

There is one member left who I'm struggling with because he/she can be obnoxious. It's hard to draw the line of when to disallow someone to participate due to an obnoxious personality. We're working hard on him/her. But worry not, nobody in the group will make mistakes that a few members used to.

• Content Count:  6,773
  • Days Won:  19

Too many rules... that's what happens when groups get sanctioned by USF... what you did was good Faza... but to me, college is the time of your life when not being PC will not cost you financially. I'm glad USF supported the tents when we were out there... but at the same time, our lasting memories were created due to the drinking that comes with the college experience. Alcohol consumption is not always appropriate (read my one road trip story back from Southern Miss and the girl I met in Alabama for the night)... but when it comes to football, is there really an alternative? I like you still care about the group... I guess someone has to be accountable for the nimrods... hell, even a more mature Dave Minceberg had to quiet me down every now and then so I wouldn't have screwed everything up. Good luck... At least we all still love USF regardless if some feelings are hurt!

• Content Count:  1,633

#23 ran backwards while holding three footballs and doing a handstand...

Is that possible? Cause if it was I would pay lot of $$$ to see it...

Archived