RB Situation

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

That's my point.  His loyalty to players sometimes scares me.

He will eventually pull the trigger, but sometimes it seems like he needs to do it quicker.  He has some sort of obsession with not letting younger guys think they're very good.

Last year at this time Leavitt would barely talk about Grothe.  He was saying all the same things about PJ that he is now saying about Ben.  It wasn't until near the end of the season that the coaches basically admitted they knew during spring practice that Grothe would be the man.  It allowed Grothe to come in with a lot less pressure.  Not that pressure ever bothers Matt, but it does a lot of the young players. 

I'm pretty confident the coaches have a real good idea how they are going to use their RBs this year, but they will wait until it becomes obvious that Ford or Samuels or whomever should take over the starting spot.  Even then, they will use a bunch of backs just like they use a bunch of WRs.  Even Ponton got a few carries a game when Hall was here.  And Ponton couldn't beat out Williams last year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  75
  • Days Won:  0

.IE-Pat taking over

I agree with your overall point, but for the record Pat never took over anything. :P

• Content Count:  3,416
  • Days Won:  1

Williams knows the system and is a GREAT blocker... that is probably why he's still #1 on the depth chart.  Ford needs some time to learn the playbook, but he is probably the better runner.  I hope he can learn to develop his blocking skills quickly.

I would rather have Williams blocking for Grothe!!!!!  I would expect Ford to come in for draws and obvious running spots, but the bottom line PLAY THE GUY THAT BLOCKS FOR GROTHE, HE IS OUR FRANCHISE AND I WANT THE BEST BLOCKER FOR HIM!  This is why williams is the starter, he knows who to block and when to do it!  With that said Ford will still get his 10-15 touches a game!

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

i like to make a point about levitt.....he typically has a fair amount of loyalty to players who have been there, however he has no problem in pulling the trigger during a game to put in who is going to give the team a better chance to win......IE-Pat taking over, Grothe Taking over, Teachey...just to name a few starters who quickly became backups....

That's my point.  His loyalty to players sometimes scares me.

He will eventually pull the trigger, but sometimes it seems like he needs to do it quicker.  He has some sort of obsession with not letting younger guys think they're very good.

Without the Julmiste injury in game one, you've got to wonder how many games we would have lost last season before he made the switch to Grothe.  Benching a Senior for a Freshman??  Leavitt may have waited until halfway through the season -- if not longer -- to make that switch.

I just hope he doesn't pull that with the RB's this year.

Despite what people seem to say.  I don't ever recall when Leavitt stuck with a player out of loyalty rather than go to a player that was superior and prepared to play at a higher level.

It was in the presss before the first game last year that Grothe was going to play the  2nd half of the first game last year regardless of Julmiste's injury.  Julmiste was healthy enough to have started the second game last year.  I love Grothe a much as anyone, but let's not rewrite history here.

As I have stated in other posts, I fully expect Williams to start the first 2 games.  Outside of running, blocking is a huge part of the RB's job, and Ben is currently the best blocker.  I expect him to start against Auburn and the staff putting in the other backs once the initial craziness has died down.

\

ford must not be all that

Stupid statement. 

Here's some stats you'll find interesting.

5 Attempts

9 Yards

1.8 YD AVg

That's your USC hero Reggie Bush's stats in his first game in 2003.  It was against Auburn.  His career turned out pretty good.  Don't you think?

It's very rare that freshmen make an enormous impact in their first few games if they even make a huge impact their entire first year.

There is no need to put so much extra pressure on Ford.  He'll be the all time leading rushing leader by far when his career is done here.  Let's give him the chance to develop naturally like the players at other schools get to do.

• Content Count:  4,503

Where are we on a starting RB? Seems like Gregory is still debating who is starting. Any chance of Williams starting at running back and Ford playing fullback?

I'm fine with Williams starting against Elon.......incumbent and most experience, and everything.

But if Mike Ford isn't getting the bulk of the carries by week #2, that's not a good sign.

Love little Ben, but like I said before, he wouldn't get off the scout team for most schools.

Right, that is why he is the starter for USF because he wouldn't be on the "scout" team for most schools.  All he did was run and block all last season.  His block in the WV game on mattts pass to Randolph helped us win that game.  Who would want that guy on their team.  Please, all the kid does is play and not make mistakes.  Is he a Steve Slaton or Ray Rice - of course not but not many people are that caliber of RB.  Instead of insulting the guy Mid-Atlantic why don't you try celebrating his accomplishments.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

As I have stated in other posts, I fully expect Williams to start the first 2 games.  Outside of running, blocking is a huge part of the RB's job, and Ben is currently the best blocker.  I expect him to start against Auburn and the staff putting in the other backs once the initial craziness has died down.

\

ford must not be all that

Stupid statement. 

Here's some stats you'll find interesting.

5 Attempts

9 Yards

1.8 YD AVg

That's your USC hero Reggie Bush's stats in his first game in 2003.  It was against Auburn.  His career turned out pretty good.  Don't you think?

It's very rare that freshmen make an enormous impact in their first few games if they even make a huge impact their entire first year.

There is no need to put so much extra pressure on FordHe'll be the all time leading rushing leader by far when his career is done here.  Let's give him the chance to develop naturally like the players at other schools get to do.

lol irony. 

• Content Count:  382

Despite what people seem to say.  I don't ever recall when Leavitt stuck with a player out of loyalty rather than go to a player that was superior and prepared to play at a higher level.

Well he did let Banks play against Pitt in the first half in 2005.  Although, I'm not sure how "superior and prepared" Julmiste was.

From trib:

Franks was asked to list the strength of each back.

Williams: "Physical strength, and he knows what to do every play, and he's going to try to do it as hard as he can every single play. I trust him. He holds on to the ball."

Plancher: "A great low center of gravity, ability to change direction in a small, confined space. He can slip a lot of tackles."

Ford: "His physical body. He's a big guy that has great feet, good quickness."

Samuels: "Speed."

That could be taken several ways.  Maybe what Franks said about Williams applies to all the running backs but that's about the only positive thing he can say about him.  Plancher, Ford and Samuels have no 1A football experience.  After suspensions and injuries last year, Williams walked on, stepped up, and filled an empty back field for us.  He played smart and clean and deserves the start this year.  That's why I believe Leavitt starts him.  However, I don't think he gets the majority of the carries nor will he start too many games.  Just because Ford is such a highly touted recruit doesn't mean I am going to root against Williams.  But if Ford and Plancher are as good as advertised, they shouldn't have any problems getting the rock.

Well he did let Banks play against Pitt in the first half in 2005.  Although, I'm not sure how "superior and prepared" Julmiste was.

DenverBull,  I am not really sure what you are talking about?????  Banks wasn't even here in 2005.  If you were talking about 2004, I went back and looked at the box score.  First of all, don't forget that Julmiste was just a Sophomore that year.  He was the starting QB by the third game of the week.  In the game against Pitt, Julmiste was the starter and threw 2 interceptions in his first 7 passes including an INT that was intercepted on his first pass that was returned for a TD.  banks didn't play until the 4th qtr.

Looking back at that game, it's so amazing to see all the Freshman we had playing that year.  It's also pretty amazing how many of the key contributors as freshman that year are gone and how we still continue to get better and better every year and we still are playing with a lot Freshman and Sophomores.  That really says a  lot about how great the recruiting REALLY has gotten the last couple of years.

There are a lot of misperceptiions that seem to be perpetuated by a few people about the loyalty of Leavitt to some players over a player that may be better or more productive.

• Content Count:  1,457

It doesn't really matter who the starter is, it's all about who will be getting the most carries.  The coaches may know already, but we probably won't really find out until the Auburn game.  Why give them a chance to gameplan for anyone in particular?

Agreed - it just serves to establish the pecking order and bragging rights amongst the players themselves.  I think it will be Williams, Ford, then Plancher

Archived