RB Situation

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Where are we on a starting RB? Seems like Gregory is still debating who is starting. Any chance of Williams starting at running back and Ford playing fullback?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

Where are we on a starting RB? Seems like Gregory is still debating who is starting. Any chance of Williams starting at running back and Ford playing fullback?

I'm fine with Williams starting against Elon.......incumbent and most experience, and everything.

But if Mike Ford isn't getting the bulk of the carries by week #2, that's not a good sign.

Love little Ben, but like I said before, he wouldn't get off the scout team for most schools.

• Content Count:  9,038

Ford > Williams

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It doesn't really matter who the starter is, it's all about who will be getting the most carries.  The coaches may know already, but we probably won't really find out until the Auburn game.  Why give them a chance to gameplan for anyone in particular?

• Content Count:  19,229

Trust the coaches... they'll put the player that does the best on the field.

• Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  0

"Franks was asked to list the strength of each back.

Williams: "Physical strength, and he knows what to do every play, and he's going to try to do it as hard as he can every single play. I trust him. He holds on to the ball."" - from tbo.com

I say Leavitt starts Williams the first two games.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

i like to make a point about levitt.....he typically has a fair amount of loyalty to players who have been there, however he has no problem in pulling the trigger during a game to put in who is going to give the team a better chance to win......IE-Pat taking over, Grothe Taking over, Teachey...just to name a few starters who quickly became backups....

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Williams: "Physical strength, and he knows what to do every play, and he's going to try to do it as hard as he can every single play. I trust him. He holds on to the ball."" - from tbo.com

It's not the QB position.  Especially if they run a 2 back set.  It really doesn't matter who gets the start or who gets the first couple of carries.  The guy that is most productive will be the feature back.

I have found the quotes from the coaches very interesting the last couple of days.  We are hearing a lot about the productivity of Ford and Taylor scoring TDs and moving the ball.  Even Tyson Butler was mentioned as having a big run in last night's scrimmage.  When they speak of Williams, they speak of his toughness and reliablility.  Those are pretty good reasons to start a guy when your going into a situation of an opening game and then a hostile, big game environment like Auburn.  I want the ball in the hands of a guy that isn't going to fumble on the opening drive simply because of nerves.  It really wouldn't be fair to a guy like Ford or even Samuels to have their first real big college carry to be in a hostile environment against a really tough D like Auburn.  Let the guys get a few series under their belt and get hit a few times.  Then let them do their thing.  If we would have done the same thing with Denson a few years ago, we may have had a real shot at winning vs PSU.  We should have started Julmiste in that environment.  Instead we threw a guy that hadn't played in 2 years into the fire against a tough D and a hostile crowd of 110,000.  He made a few early, nervous mistakes and we spotted them a couple of quick scores.  Maybe the coaches have learned something from that experience.

Bottom line is that whoever is most productive will get the majority of the carries.  No need to put extra stress on Freshman that are already nervous in a hostile environment.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

It's not the QB position.  Especially if they run a 2 back set.  It really doesn't matter who gets the start or who gets the first couple of carries.  The guy that is most productive will be the feature back.

I have found the quotes from the coaches very interesting the last couple of days.  We are hearing a lot about the productivity of Ford and Taylor scoring TDs and moving the ball.  Even Tyson Butler was mentioned as having a big run in last night's scrimmage.  When they speak of Williams, they speak of his toughness and reliablility.  Those are pretty good reasons to start a guy when your going into a situation of an opening game and then a hostile, big game environment like Auburn.  I want the ball in the hands of a guy that isn't going to fumble on the opening drive simply because of nerves.  It really wouldn't be fair to a guy like Ford or even Samuels to have their first real big college carry to be in a hostile environment against a really tough D like Auburn.  Let the guys get a few series under their belt and get hit a few times.  Then let them do their thing.  If we would have done the same thing with Denson a few years ago, we may have had a real shot at winning vs PSU.  We should have started Julmiste in that environment.  Instead we threw a guy that hadn't played in 2 years into the fire against a tough D and a hostile crowd of 110,000.  He made a few early, nervous mistakes and we spotted them a couple of quick scores.   Maybe the coaches have learned something from that experience.

Bottom line is that whoever is most productive will get the majority of the carries.  No need to put extra stress on Freshman that are already nervous in a hostile environment.

I agree fully.  What they did to Denson setting him up at PSU was really a game-breaker for us.  I think had he had time to develop he would have taken over, but they pushed him too hard too soon.  I'm really afraid of them doing that to Ford.  Remember they did something very simialar to Julimiste when they broght him in (I don't remember if that was at TCU or Southern Miss).  Not quite as hostile as PSU granted, but pretty intimidating defenses one way or the other.  I still remember that snap flying over his head on the first series and thinking "ohh boy... wtf was that?" 

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

As I have stated in other posts, I fully expect Williams to start the first 2 games.  Outside of running, blocking is a huge part of the RB's job, and Ben is currently the best blocker.  I expect him to start against Auburn and the staff putting in the other backs once the initial craziness has died down.

Archived