kEELEY dORSEY UPDATE

flsportsfan83

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,689
  • Days Won:  13

August 23, 2007

Keeley Dorsey's death ruled as 'natural' causes

More than seven months after Keeley Dorsey's tragic death during a team conditioning workout, the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office released a statement Thursday stating that the 19-year-old USF running back died of natural causes.

A short release stated that Dorsey died of "sudden cardiac death of undetermined etiology." Months of testing showed no presence of drugs, no evidence of disease or injury, nor any underlying genetic condition. Dorsey, a freshman from Tallahassee, collapsed and died on January 17 while the Bulls were going through an off-season workout in the school's athletic facility.

Dorsey, who played at Tallahassee's Lincoln High School, had a 52-yard touchdown run on the final play of USF's season opener against McNeese State last season. His loss was felt not only through USF's athletic department but across campus as students mourned the death of a promising young player.

"I hurt for Keeley. I hurt for Keeley's parents. I hurt for our team," coach Jim Leavitt said the day Dorsey died. "Keeley was a tremendous person. He was always upbeat and an inspiration to me and all of us. He had a great impact on our team, and he will be sorely missed."

USF's athletic department initially had no comment on the findings. The Bulls will remember him, along with former player Javan Camon and dance-team coach Caroline Wiren, with a moment of silence before the team's first home game against Elon on Sept. 1.

Shortly after his death, Dorsey's family had retained the services of Tampa attorney Barry Cohen, a high-stakes litigator with numerous multi-million-dollar verdicts to his credit. Cohen said he was only helping the family look for answers, and that a decision about any potential litigation would not be made until after the medical examiner's office released their findings.

(Times photo - Ted McLaren)

Posted by Greg Auman at 11:40:55 AM on August 23, 2007 | Permalink | Comments (0)

del.icio.us 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Looks like it was just his time.  God always takes the good ones too soon. 

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

man that still sucks.

• Content Count:  5,903

Really sad.

Sports_sp_usfd_1274076.jpg

• Content Count:  4,142

I thought they would have said something during the awards ceremony after last season but, I'm glad they're gonna do the moment of silence before the game...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

logo_246x77.jpg

Autopsy shows S. Florida player died of cardiac disease

Aug. 23, 2007

CBSSports.com wire reports  

TAMPA, Fla. -- A disease that causes irregular heart rhythms most likely caused South Florida running back Keeley Dorsey's fatal collapse while lifting weights at the school's athletic facility in January.

Dr. Laura Hair, a Hillsborough County associate medical examiner, said Thursday the 19-year-old freshman appears to have had an undiagnosed genetic heart disorder called Long QT Syndrome, but tests on his DNA were unable to confirm it. He was pronounced dead at a hospital on Jan. 17.

"I think it's the most likely possibility," Hair said of Dorsey's death. "It was natural. I didn't find any reason it wasn't natural."

Long QT Syndrome is a disorder of the electrical activity of the heart that can cause dangerous, rapid and chaotic heart rhythms. The result is a lack of adequate blood supply to the brain, causing blackouts, fainting or sudden cardiac death.

Hair said efforts to restart Dorsey's heart were unsuccessful.

"I think he died very quickly," she said.

Dorsey rushed for 68 yards on 10 carries in 2006. He scored his only touchdown on a 52-yard run on the final play of the Bulls' 41-10 season-opening victory over McNeese State. It was South Florida's longest run of the season.

Link

• Content Count:  261
  • Days Won:  0

We should continue the tradition of waving a white towel in the air at every game like Keeley use to do. He always did his part to pump us up during the game and we should continue to honor him by incorporating his actions into our tradition at the games.

• Content Count:  5,903

We should continue the tradition of waving a white towel in the air at every game like Keeley use to do. He always did his part to pump us up during the game and we should continue to honor him by incorporating his actions into our tradition at the games.

I'll have mine!

• Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

logo_246x77.jpg

Autopsy shows S. Florida player died of cardiac disease

Aug. 23, 2007

CBSSports.com wire reports  

TAMPA, Fla. -- A disease that causes irregular heart rhythms most likely caused South Florida running back Keeley Dorsey's fatal collapse while lifting weights at the school's athletic facility in January.

Dr. Laura Hair, a Hillsborough County associate medical examiner, said Thursday the 19-year-old freshman appears to have had an undiagnosed genetic heart disorder called Long QT Syndrome, but tests on his DNA were unable to confirm it. He was pronounced dead at a hospital on Jan. 17.

"I think it's the most likely possibility," Hair said of Dorsey's death. "It was natural. I didn't find any reason it wasn't natural."

Long QT Syndrome is a disorder of the electrical activity of the heart that can cause dangerous, rapid and chaotic heart rhythms. The result is a lack of adequate blood supply to the brain, causing blackouts, fainting or sudden cardiac death.

Hair said efforts to restart Dorsey's heart were unsuccessful.

"I think he died very quickly," she said.

Dorsey rushed for 68 yards on 10 carries in 2006. He scored his only touchdown on a 52-yard run on the final play of the Bulls' 41-10 season-opening victory over McNeese State. It was South Florida's longest run of the season.

Link

too bad ncaa  and coaches dont push for proper testing that could diagnose such a condition

it would just take money away from fat cats

cant wait for day athletes  become organized and put an end to the unfairness and inequities

• Content Count:  117
  • Days Won:  0

taurusandkeeleytm5.jpg

Archived