Potential good news for J.R. Reed

South_Florida_Flip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Giants to Sign Kick Returner?: The Star-Ledger is reporting that the Giants will sign S/KR J.R. Reed, who has spent time with the Eagles, Rams, and Falcons.

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Nice, if I am not mistaken, is the Giants current return guy still Chad Morton?  If so, a healthy JR Reed is a way better return man.

Hope the G-Men sign him. 

• Content Count:  10,219

good luck JR

go bulls

• Content Count:  104

Notes

Giants waived/injured wide receiver Michael Jennings (Achilles) and defensive tackle Charrod Taylor (foot), and waived outright offensive lineman Dan Parrish, who was signed last week. They claimed off waivers wide receiver Will Buchanon from Oakland, and signed center Nick Jones and safety J.R. Reed.

• Content Count:  104

Coughlin is feeling blue after string of Giant injuries

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

Tom Coughlin sounded down. And he even admitted he was down.

It wasn't the rainy weather or a case of the late training camp blues. It was the seven injuries the team suffered in Sunday's preseason win over the Ravens.

"From the head coach's standpoint, it's one of the most not only frustrating but depressing things you have to deal with," Coughlin said in a monotone voice on a conference call yesterday. "It is a part of the game, we all understand that, but you would like to play through these preseason games with some kind of a clean slate so that the football team you work with in the spring and bring along through camp, you have an opportunity to play the regular season with."

There's no chance of that happening because receiver Michael Jennings is out for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon. His injury, which ended the season for a hardworking player who finally made an active roster last year at age 27, was the toughest for Coughlin.

"I'm very down about the Michael Jennings thing," the coach said. "It is a very difficult thing to deal with."

In the secondary, there are two players who are in danger of missing the first game of the regular season.

Cornerback Sam Madison, who pulled his hamstring on Sunday, will probably be out for a few weeks, according to Coughlin's timetable. And safety Will Demps is expected to miss three weeks with a dislocated right elbow.

"Normally (the recovery time), depending on the severity, would be a couple of weeks. We'll have to see what that's all about," Coughlin said of Madison's injury. When asked if Madison might miss the opener against the Cowboys on Sept. 9, Coughlin said, "It certainly is a concern because you've got to strengthen (the injured) area, you've got to condition and you've got to practice."

At least a bit of help is on the way. Today, the team will sign former Eagles defensive back and kick returner J.R. Reed, according to Reed's agent, Jonathan Kline.

As a rookie in 2004, Reed averaged 23.1 yards per kick return while seeing limited time as a reserve safety. But he suffered a freak knee injury after the season when he fell while climbing a fence and cut the back of his left knee, resulting in serious nerve damage that kept him out for all of the following year.

After being cut by the Eagles at the end of last year's training camp, Reed had brief stints with the Rams and Falcons.

Reed, 25, will add the kind of depth at safety and on special teams the Giants were hoping to get from Michael Stone, who has been sidelined for several weeks with a hip injury. But the starting safety job alongside Gibril Wilson will remain James Butler's, though Demps was making a push to take his job back before suffering the injury.

At corner, Madison's absence will most likely be filled by Corey Webster, the team's second-round pick in 2005 who has yet to become the ball-hawking corner he was advertised to be.

The other options are rookie Aaron Ross and second-year corner Kevin Dockery, who had a very good game on Sunday.

"Corey is certainly a guy that has played well and played solid last night," said Coughlin, who wouldn't confirm Webster will move into a starting spot but said, "Corey will certainly get a lot of consideration."

Madison's injury also means the Giants are down to one seasoned veteran in the secondary for the next few weeks: cornerback R.W. McQuarters, who is suddenly the grandfather of the defensive backfield.

Or the oldest child, if the 10th-year veteran prefers.

"I look at these guys like my little brothers," McQuarters said. "I joke with them all the time, even with Corey (on Sunday), I said, 'I'm watching you, Corey, to see if you're going to get your hands on the receivers.'

"Now, with a guy down, it's a chance for a guy to step up and prove he can be a starter."

• Content Count:  1,779

Being a Bull I am happy for JR Reed. In regards to the Giants I continue to be pessimistic about their secondary. Maybe next year the Giants can draft Mike Jenkins.

• Content Count:  1,297

I hope he's close to 100% recovered from that injury - this is his second chance.

He's a hard worker and I know he'll take full advantage of this situation.  He's a tough bull.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

So happy JR gets another shot.  Hopefully he will be able to show he deserves to be a starter on the team.  Hey, as a former NY girl, I couldn't be happier for him (unless he were picked by the Jets).  LOL

Go Bulls!!

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I hope he's close to 100% recovered from that injury - this is his second chance.

He's a hard worker and I know he'll take full advantage of this situation.  He's a tough bull.

If I understand his situation correctly, he will never be even close to 100%.

With the permanent nerve damage he sustained in that horrible injury, the only thing that enables his foot to snap back when running is that one-of-a-kind brace he wears, right?

Hope he signs with someone and makes his mark, though.

Archived