How to make USF Football just that much better....

DC Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  122
  • Days Won:  0

After visiting several college football venues they have great game day atmospheres, I have come up with three simple recommendations that I think would make USF game day much better and make it more exciting to the average fan. I know that I am preaching to the choir on this board. If they moved USF Football games to the middle of a cow pasture, most here would go. These are ideas of how to make things more exciting to all fans, but also give the moderate, casual, and new fan a reason to keep coming back.

1) Have microphones that amplify the band. I sit in 134 and most of the time I can not hear the band clearly. When the Bulls score a touchdown and the fight song is played, have it amplified over the public address system. The same when it is a media timeout and they are playing “The Bullâ€Â

They do this at UVA. Anytime the band plays during a stoppage of play (e.g., timeouts, scores, media timeouts) they play over the stadium speaker system. After each score they play “The Good Old Song,†the whole stadium is able to hear it clearly and is able to participate in the singing.

2) Pick one song that you play in every third down situation. As soon as your PA announcer makes the call from the previous play, start the song. If you pick a good song that gets the crowd pumped up, they will begin to understand that every time you hear this song on the PA system, its time to stand up and get loud. I love the “Lets here it for your Bulls defense,†but it doesn’t distinguish itself enough.

Several schools do something like this; Penn State uses Zombie Nation on every third down to whip the whole crowd into a frenzy.

3) Students and fans alike need to be encouraged to wear green to the games. It would be distinctive and look much better than the mixture of colors that we have now.

In order to make this happen, it can’t just be posted on message boards. The athletic department should sponsor a “Green Out†for the game against West Virginia. They should market it hard to the students all over campus. You would have two gains from this; get everyone in green for the game, as well create a buzz that would give the casual student who might not usually attend a different reason to come.

At the same time you market it hard to the community on billboards, radio, and TV. Same idea, you create a buzz and people who are not hardcore fans want to attend because they feel they are going to be a part of an awesome atmosphere.

I think if athletics pushed a “Green Out†hard and marketed it correctly, they would have a shot at getting the stands close to full for the West Virginia game. Heck, give out the green shirts at the gate if you have to; anything to expand the Bulls nation. Get all those people out there and show them a good game and a great atmosphere, they will come back.

Just three simple ideas that I think would make a world of difference in the atmosphere on game day.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

i have been trying to promote the "green out" since i started going to USF games.

its very powerful, looks great on TV, and when other local fans see highlights of the game and see all that green they realize that the games have some serious fan passion.  might make them want to come check one out. 

i really believe we only need to get the local fans to committ to coming to just 1 game.  once they do that they will realize that there isnt a better entertainment for dollar deal in all of tampa

• Content Count:  121

All good ideas.

Don't forget #4, though....

4) Build an On-Campus-Stadium. :moon2

If we wake up really early next Saturday morning and everybody brings a hammer and a shovel we can have the stadium built an hour before kickoff.  Good idea. 

• Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

I like all three ideas. Especially getting LOUD on third down.

Also, starting Monday I will be wearing a BULLS shirt all day EVERDAY thru the bowl game.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

After visiting several college football venues they have great game day atmospheres, I have come up with three simple recommendations that I think would make USF game day much better and make it more exciting to the average fan. I know that I am preaching to the choir on this board. If they moved USF Football games to the middle of a cow pasture, most here would go. These are ideas of how to make things more exciting to all fans, but also give the moderate, casual, and new fan a reason to keep coming back.

1) Have microphones that amplify the band. I sit in 134 and most of the time I can not hear the band clearly. When the Bulls score a touchdown and the fight song is played, have it amplified over the public address system. The same when it is a media timeout and they are playing “The Bullâ€Â

I agree with that one completely. Although, I can hear fine where I am, there have been more than a few complaints form the SE part of the stadium about hearing the band .... band members seem to get kind of feisty, though, when you mention amplifying them...  ;)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with that one completely. Although, I can hear fine where I am, there have been more than a few complaints form the SE part of the stadium about hearing the band .... band members seem to get kind of feisty, though, when you mention amplifying them...  ;)

I don't want them to move, because HOT is currently aimed right at my seats. But, I think that if they moved then to the center of the North end zone, then the entire stadium could hear them better. Or they could just amplify them where they are.

• Content Count:  1,797

That shirt will get pretty nasty by the end of the season BDYZR.  ;D :o

Normal

• Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

No offense to the band, but I agree, they should be played over the PA.  When I sit in 112, I can't hear them very good.  

Maybe GREEN OUT should be the motto of "Our Shirt" next year.

• Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Normal - funny one!  Maybe we could get bowl tickets together1

I still think the band should be in the South endzone playing to the students.  And that group that would be on their right side.

GO BULLS!

Archived