#35 And #37 In Polls - Should We Be Higher?

USFMikeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  99
  • Days Won:  0

Polls and rankings are pointless until the third/fourth week of the season at least

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,219

BOUT RIGHT

WHERE WE END WILL BE DETERMINED BY WINS AND LOSSES.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

Polls and rankings are pointless until the third/fourth week of the season at least

Actually ... pointless until the season ends  ;D

• Content Count:  695

, but third place in the Big East and a berth in the Gator Bowl is definitely an attainable goal.

3rd place in the big east does NOT get us to the Gator Bowl.

3rd place and we are probably still back in Charlotte.

Yeah it does if West Virginia goes undefeated and Louisville's only loss is to West Virginia or vice versa they would both make BCS bowls most likely and that would mean that the third best Big East team (or Notre Dame) would make the Gator Bowl. I don't think Notre Dame is going to be too good this year so hopefully USF would get a Gator Bowl bid over Notre Dame, but then again all bowls care about is the $$s and Notre Dame has a slightly bigger following than USF.

I forgot about Notre Dame when I originally predicted Gator Bowl, so I guess we'll be back at the Meinke Bowl.

• Content Count:  2,118

Those two polls are ********. Just wait till USF bags some wins.

• Content Count:  1,532

According to the AP Poll run-down on sportscenter... the question asked was "Who will be this year's Wake Forrest?"

Reponse: "South Florida.  They should be ranked but they aren't."

Very nice :D

I saw that today... I was happy to hear those words...

We will have all year to prove that last year was not just a lucky year.  I can't wait.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/

Vote in tbo/Brett's Poll.

• Content Count:  1,457

We are right were we need to be.  When we overtake the polls, by our 3rd game - maybe 4th, then it will be just like "rocket man" up to top 15.  Nice to see WVA, L'ville, and Rutgers all top 16!  Go BE.

• Content Count:  1,297

There are some folks out there that feel USF should have been ranked higher than we were in the AP and Coach's polls.  Personally, I disagree, I think we're probably ranked about where we should be.  Why?  Because we lost games last year that we should have won.  Inconsistency in our football program is one of the last remaining stumbling blocks that needs to be overcome in order to make it to the next level, as far as I'm concerned.  Since we were inconsistent last season (Kansas and  Cincy come to mind), I cannot see us ranked this year unless we show that we have resolved that during this season.

However, I'm interested in hearing from the people that think we got robbed.  If you believe USF should have been preseason ranked, then who do you think should NOT have been ranked?

This is pretty much how I feel....and since I'm a lazy typer.....I'll just say I agree with you on this one.

Just win and we'll be ranked before you know it.

• Content Count:  849

I think polls should not start until after week 7 because guess what USF has to pass 34 teams to make it to #1 in one poll and 26 teams to make it to #1 in the other poll. So basically to make it to number 1 they need to go undefeated and then hope all of those teams lose at least one and some would have to lose twice like USC and Florida who play tough schedules and are already ranked high.

As for where we should rank right now #1, and we should be tied with the other 119 teams because none of the teams have played a game yet. I don't think it's fair that after week 1 USC could beat Idaho 35-30 and remain #1 and yet Tennessee could go to Cal and win by 50 and only be ranked #9 or 10 probably at best. Thats why I think preseason, and early season polls are stupid. USC hasn't played a game and yet they already control their own destiny just like they did in 2004 when Auburn went 12-0 in the SEC and didn't make the title game. Go undefeated in the nations best conference and not make the title game? Thats a byproduct of preseason polls. I guarantee if the polls started in week 7 Auburn would have made the national title game and I don't think USC would have made it because they had some close calls, either that or Oklahoma would have been left out because of their weak schedule.

USC and Oklahoma also went undefeated.Maybe they should of replaced OU, but if Auburn was so tough they wouldn't have squeaked it out a 16-13 win over a 3 loss Virginia Tech team.

Don't kid yourself, Auburn would have gotten spanked that year just like they did by USC the year before in Jordan Hare.

Last year too, if USC doesn't lay an egg to UCLA they would have killed OSU. Just for persepective, USC beat the SEC runner-up last year 50-14. They shut down Darren McFadden. No doubt in my mind they would have beaten UF too.

Archived