Don't care to be the media darling... Let's run up the score vs Elon

The Sheriff

I would be shocked to not see us put up at least 50 in a win. The 2000 team would have put 50 up on this Elon team... and that is with Marquel at the helm. We shut out Jacksonville State 40-0 to open the season. It should be a similar score... the talent difference is pretty immense with Matt having a year under his belt. This is just like Marquel's second season to be honest... except with more weapons on offense... although the D is quite similar... Ant Henry and Bernard Brown are very comparable to Jenkins and Trae Williams... if not better. The linebackers are better now... but remember Vassay and Kawika were no slouches.

The problem, Sheriff, is that CJL will be running a heck of a lot... and run-dominated drives take a lot of time.  The only way USF gets to the 40 point mark is if Ford, Williams, et al break a couple of really long runs.  I would say you won't see more than 15-20 passes attempted... and most of those will be on 3rd down.

The game will be a lot like FAMU in 2005... a lot of handoffs and QB runs... a stout defense that will shut Elon down until our 3rd stringers are in the game.

You will also see a lot of our 2nd string... getting them "real" game situations to prepare them for Auburn.

I still hold with a 31-10 victory.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

I'm with Sheriff on this one. 50+ should be easy.

Remember, we scored 31 points in the final quarter and a half vs McNeese....

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Wouldn't be surprised to see this one get pretty out of hand.  I think our defense will score at least once. 

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

52-10, with Elon scoring a late TD aganist our 3rd stringers, otherwise I don't see them getting more than a FG.

I do see our RB's breaking off some long TD runs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

I do see our RB's breaking off some long TD runs.

Every back we have is capable of breaking a big one against Elon.

STAMPEDE !!!

• Content Count:  1,299

We need to see our 50% of defense and 50% of offense until begin of 4th quarter so we can correct their mistakes during the practices..  If not enough in defense, we can not afford correct their mistake in Auburn game.  So the score is not important to us!!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I don't think JL is going to looking to "push" up the score.  This game is more of a tune up and to give our 2nd and 3rd teams play time.  If we do put up all those big points, is it going to prove anything other than the fact that we can beat a new relatively weak 1AA team? 

From what I understand they became a 1AA team not that long ago, so it isn't a stretch to assume that a 1A team will put up a bunch of points.

• Content Count:  1,297

CJL won't run up the score on this game because he doesn't want Elon's coach calling him up afterwards and accusing him of spying on their team practices (i.e. Jacksonville St's heach coach).

Greg has some supporting evidence for a low-scoring game...

Based on the depth chart for the running back position...

The correct order, we're told, for those six running backs: Williams, Samuels, Ford, Taylor, Plancher and Cannon. That makes more sense, in that it shows Carl Franks deferring to experience ahead of the unproven younger players. All the backs are going to see action against Elon, so a more telling depth chart will be the one we get next week.

Hard to really run up the score when you have six RB's you want to watch.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

Hard to really run up the score when you have six RB's you want to watch.

Can't wait to talk to you after this game Jim  ;D

SINGLE GAME RECORDS

Most Net Yards Rushing: 377 against FAMU in 2005. And we had Hall and Ponton basicly.

I feel that we have 3 RB's that will be over 100 yeards each.

Archived