Band Geeks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

My high school's band was supposedly one of the best high school bands in the nation and actually went to competitions that included college bands and did well supposedly, yet in mine and just about everyone at the school's opinion they sucked. So basically, I don't think how good a band is really makes a difference. I went to the game against FAMU and while I guess their band was alright, it's not like I was completely entranced by it or anything.

• Content Count:  2,363

My high school's band was supposedly one of the best high school bands in the nation and actually went to competitions that included college bands and did well supposedly, yet in mine and just about everyone at the school's opinion they sucked. So basically, I don't think how good a band is really makes a difference. I went to the game against FAMU and while I guess their band was alright, it's not like I was completely entranced by it or anything.

Often (and not entirely, but generally) pleasing the judges and pleasing the crowd is not the same thing,so you can do very well in competition and not have fans in your own home stadium.

• Content Count:  1,433

This Band does what it's supposed to....provide opportunity to unite the fans.  The fans just have to participate.

• Content Count:  1,532

Well, you know it is a bunch of bull.  Even the "size of the band" is ranked low around a 2 for most all of the Big East bands.  I believe HOT is bigger then most, or at least the same size (250+).  Could be 300+ this year...

They picked a youtube video that was filmed by a parent/student at a high school back a few years.  This was the worst video, and not the first video you would fin on youtube.  Just ignore it or let them know your thoughts.  I doubt anyone is going to be sad that some random guy ranked bands based on youtube videos!

• Content Count:  12,293

i dont want to sound like an ass ....i know we've got some band members on here.

but is this really that much of a surprise?  i mean, i love hearing our band during the games and think they do a great job.

but most of why bands are known is because of the tradition of their football teams.  not how loud or well they play.

so i cant say i am surprised by this ranking.

• Content Count:  296

I don't think this would(or should) offend any HOT members... We're a young band, but we're growing and improving like the team. I think the biggest part of this is that not many people outside Tampa/central FL have even heard us(or of us) before. I think many would be surprised if they had the chance to hear us next to some of those 'top' bands. It'll come with time.

Btw, our camp registration is tomorrow as is our first rehearsal of the year. Excited to see and hear HOT 2k7  ;D

I don't think this would(or should) offend any HOT members... We're a young band, but we're growing and improving like the team. I think the biggest part of this is that not many people outside Tampa/central FL have even heard us(or of us) before. I think many would be surprised if they had the chance to hear us next to some of those 'top' bands. It'll come with time.

Btw, our camp registration is tomorrow as is our first rehearsal of the year. Excited to see and hear HOT 2k7  ;D

I agree.  The band has come a long way... but bands are usually judged by fans through traditions.  HOT has tried and has been successful at starting and keeping some traditions and more will come with time.  I'm glad Dr. Robinson and staff are willing to try new things and do what they can to get the atmosphere going.  They have have done an amazing job getting the program and our few traditons started. 

Here is to another great year!  :coldone

• Content Count:  12,293

how about having those flag girls carry red flags and have the tuba players run through them like a bull?

"start the tradition"  aint that the slogan

how about having those flag girls carry red flags and have the tuba players run through them like a bull?

"start the tradition"  aint that the slogan

might be cheesy... or really cool.  i guess it depends on how it would be set up.  maybe they can bring them out when the team runs out with some type of thing going on with that....

Archived