08/16 Practice Report - Bulls Return from Injury

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,372
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

TAMPA, Fla. – The return of a handful of sidelined players highlighted the University of South Florida’s football practice on Thursday morning.

All Big East DB Michael Jenkins was back on the field after missing both practices on Wednesday.

“He was out there, but he didn’t do much,” said USF head coach Jim Leavitt.

Jenkins tweaked his knee on Tuesday and was held out of the late practice on Wednesday for precautionary reasons.

Returning starters on the offensive line Walter Walker and Ryan Schmidt both practiced in a limited capacity.  TE Ben Busbee was out of a protective boot and back in practice, although with limitations as well.

One of the early topics from camp was the possibility of transfer RB Jamar Taylor playing linebacker. 

Leavitt ended that speculation on Thursday saying, “He won’t play linebacker for us this year.”

The USF mentor is already watching game tape on season opening opponent Elon, who the Bulls face at Raymond James Stadium on Sept. 1.

“Elon is good,” said Leavitt.  “I watched film on them last night.  They are very good and play in a good conference. They will be very similar to McNeese State and they led us in the third quarter last year.”

Last season, McNeese led USF 10-7 in the third quarter before the Bulls pulled away for the 41-10 win.

The Bulls will have two practices on Friday.  The first will begin in the morning at 8:30  and the second will begin in the afternoon at 3:55.

USF will hold its first scrimmage on Saturday at 9 a.m. The scrimmage is closed to the public and media.

Upcoming Practice Schedule

Friday, Aug. 17 - 8:30 - 10:30 a.m. and 3:55 - 5:25 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 18 - Scrimmage closed 9-11 a.m.

Sunday, Aug. 19 - No practice

Monday, Aug. 20 - 8:30 - 10:30 a.m. and 3:55 - 5:25 p.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 21 - 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.

Wednesday, Aug. 22 - 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

good to hear the walking wounded are back on the field

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

One of the early topics from camp was the possibility of transfer RB Jamar Taylor playing linebacker. 

:o ..... Is this a joke?

• Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Interesting. "He won't play linebacker this year".  Are we really that deep at rb?

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  1,297

Don't see this kid at linebacker.  But that's just me.......Leavitt is the coach and can do what he feels necessary.

• Content Count:  4,016

Interesting. "He won't play linebacker this year".  Are we really that deep at rb?

GO BULLS!

You've asked a million dollar question.  Are we that deep at RB or aren't we?  Theoretically we are that deep, with Mo Plancher, Ben Williams, Ford, Tyson Butler, Aston Samuels and now the word that Kelly might be more of a hybrid then straight FB- not to mention Jamar Taylor.

However, the least physically gifted of the bunch is still the presumed starter in Ben Williams and none of these more heralded recruits have been able to unseat.  The bodies are there, but until a few guys actually step up, play consistently and block well it's hard to say how deep RB really is.  My guess is keeping Taylor at RB means Plancher, Samuels, and Ford haven't taken it to that next level yet.  A perfect world Leavitt would probably hope Samuels and Ford step up with Plancher and it gives him the luxury to move Taylor to LB and Butler to corner.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

GO BULLS!

You've asked a million dollar question.  Are we that deep at RB or aren't we?  Theoretically we are that deep, with Mo Plancher, Ben Williams, Ford, Tyson Butler, Aston Samuels and now the word that Kelly might be more of a hybrid then straight FB- not to mention Jamar Taylor.

However, the least physically gifted of the bunch is still the presumed starter in Ben Williams and none of these more heralded recruits have been able to unseat.   The bodies are there, but until a few guys actually step up, play consistently and block well it's hard to say how deep RB really is.  My guess is keeping Taylor at RB means Plancher, Samuels, and Ford haven't taken it to that next level yet.  A perfect world Leavitt would probably hope Samuels and Ford step up with Plancher and it gives him the luxury to move Taylor to LB and Butler to corner.

My guess is that it's more a matter of the the younger/new guys learning the plays and the positiion (blocking, etc) than just pure running ability.  Williams always seemed to be in the right place last year.  When he ran the ball last year effectively, it was a huge plus for us.  I remember discussing the running game with a couple of players last year after the Kansas game.  We were asking why Dorsey didn't see the field more since he was a more physically gifted runner.  The answer we got was that he didn't really understand the position and the offense and that he he missed A LOT of blocking assignments.  It's more than just ruinning the ball.

• Content Count:  1,797

Coach Gregory is quoted in Brett's blog as saying Williams, "...never seems to make mistakes."  Football is about trust.  The coaches and other players have to trust that the guys next to them know and complete their assignments.  It is hard to unseat a guy that never makes mistakes.  That's why I feel good with Ben out there on the field.  Talk about the RBs all you want, but Matt is our gold pile and I want the most TRUSTWORTHY guys protecting him.

Normal

• Content Count:  4,642

it's nice to see some people healing quickly!

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  937

I was looking at B- williams stats from last yr, he had some pretty bad perecentages against anything that even appeared to be a decent team.... I'm ok with him blocking, but not soo much on rushes.

Archived