Bowl Projections -- ESPN (Maisel & Schlabach)

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

Big East bowls...

Mark Schlabach

West Virginia - Sugar

Louisville - Fiesta

Rutgers - Gator

USF - Meineke

Cincinnati - PapaJohns.com

Pittsburgh - International

Ivan Maisel

Louisville - Sugar

Rutgers - Gator

West Virginia - Meineke

USF - PapaJohns.com

Pittsburgh - International

You can see the rest here...

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Once again...three words that should never be strung together "Preseason," "Bowl," and "Projections."

Actually, four if you want to throw in the term, "Expert."

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Why is everyone so high on Rutgers. Sure they were a nice story last year, but USF had them on the ropes and they got lucky against Louisville. Louisville had that game in the bag and they just fell asleep tried to sit on the lead and Rutgers came up and bit them in the ass. I'm not saying that they suck or anything, but they lost Brian Leonard who was basically the glue that held that offense together. Mike Teel is a terrible QB, the WR corps aren't special, Clark Harris is gone so unless they have a great replacement that spot will get weaker. Yes, the o-line is good so Ray Rice should pass the century mark in most of his games but defensively and offensively they dont impress me.

I think the Bulls should be third in the Big East projections, and I think that the Bulls will play in the Gator Bowl because unless USF upsets one of them Louisville and West Virginia should each make BCS bowls with their only loss between them being to each other. I know I didn't word that right, but you guys should know what I mean.

• Content Count:  849

Why is everyone so high on Rutgers. Sure they were a nice story last year, but USF had them on the ropes and they got lucky against Louisville. Louisville had that game in the bag and they just fell asleep tried to sit on the lead and Rutgers came up and bit them in the ass. I'm not saying that they suck or anything, but they lost Brian Leonard who was basically the glue that held that offense together. Mike Teel is a terrible QB, the WR corps aren't special, Clark Harris is gone so unless they have a great replacement that spot will get weaker. Yes, the o-line is good so Ray Rice should pass the century mark in most of his games but defensively and offensively they dont impress me.

I think the Bulls should be third in the Big East projections, and I think that the Bulls will play in the Gator Bowl because unless USF upsets one of them Louisville and West Virginia should each make BCS bowls with their only loss between them being to each other. I know I didn't word that right, but you guys should know what I mean.

I agree with you. I also hope that two Big East teams get BCS bowls. On one hand I like the attention that the Big East is getting because it lists Rutgers as one of the national contenders however I think Rutgers is highly overrated. When Rutgers falters this year (even though they play the 2nd easiest schedule in the Big East) it will hurt the perception of the Big East. Hopefully we have a huge year to keep the spot light on the Big East. We need to beat Auburn in order for this program to take next step.

• Content Count:  695

Rutgers has a joke of a non-conference aside from a home game against Maryland and they might be good enough to win that because i'm not all that sold on Maryland. Cinci and Syracuse are the first 2 Big East games so they could easily start 6-0, and they play Army late in the year so that should be at least 7 wins. Rutgers will definitely not be a top 15 team, but I still think they can go 8-4, or 9-3 if they beat Pittsburgh. I just can't see how all of a sudden their a national power after losing Brian Leonard who was a huge part of their offense, Ray Rice would not have been able to rush for 1700 yards without his blocking abilities and the fact Leonard was a threat to run the ball himself or catch passes in the flats.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I hate Rutgers.

• Content Count:  2,580
  • Days Won:  1

Actually, four if you want to throw in the term, "Expert."

Poor Ryan.    :D

• Content Count:  4,642

Rutgers can lick my noots...

EXPERT PRESEASON BOWL PROJECTION:  I think we end up in Charlotte, with our best shot being the Gator if we finish 10-2 (losses to Auburn and Pitt).

:D  sorry mid-atlantic-bull, had to  ;)

• Content Count:  919

I think you will find out how wrong you are about Rutgers.  They are very, very good on O-line and D-Line, which is the most important thing in my book.  Teel is improving greatly.  Underwood and Britt are good receivers, and with Rice running behind that line, the offense will be balanced and tough to stop.  They are a physical football team too.  The D will be good again.

Someone also mentioned their schedule.  Eight home games, and road games at Syracuse, UConn, Army, and Louisville.  The only teams that have a chance to beat Rutgers before the final game at Louisville are USF and WVU, both at Rutgers.  There is no way they go worse than 9-3, and will probably be 10-1 going into Louisville.  Unfortuanately, they are my pick to win the Big East this year.

• Content Count:  4,503

The old saying of Defense wins Chanpionships probably would apply to Rutgars.  They have an excellant defense and a so so offense.  Really alot like USF in the past(hopefully)

Archived