Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,367
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

USF Football Practice Report – Saturday, August 11, 2007

Practice Cut Short By Lightning; Erskin Injures Knee

Tampa, Fla. – The University of South Florida football team’s first day of double-session practices was cut short on Saturday by a severe thunderstorm at approximately 8:40 p.m. The Bulls retired to the locker room to finish practice by walking though sets while others headed to the weight room to lift.

“We got cut short, but that’s o.k.,” said USF head football coach Jim Leavitt. “We’ll come back next week and really get going. The guys worked hard and did a lot of banging and I felt like I didn’t want to push it. We could have come in (into the locker room) and waited and seen if the lightning was going to stay in the area. I think it was pretty smart that we got in before the storm. We got in a lot of hitting today,” said Leavitt. “We got in our middle drill and our boards drill, the guys really worked hard.”

Saturday’s morning practice was bittersweet with the loss of Colby Erskine with an apparent torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee suffered after catching a routine pass.

“Erskine is going to be out for a while,” said Leavitt. “He’ll be out until the Lord allows him back on that field. It is really a very tough situation. He is a great kid. He earned his scholarship. It is certainly very tough. He is one of our top punt returners, kickoff returners and receivers. We’re really going to take a hit but we’re going to have some other people step up, there is no doubt about it. That’s a tough one.”

Chris Robinson and Walter Walker sat out their second straight day with ankle injuries suffered on Thursday. Robinson remained on crutches and with a boot on his left foot while Walker also had a walking boot on his left foot.

“Those guys will be o.k. it’s just going to be a while though,” said Leavitt. “They both have some pretty good sprains, so it will take a while, possibly a couple of weeks.”

Matt Huners’ progress is also coming along after suffering a leg injury in the spring.

“We don’t know the time table on him, but we don’t expect him back right away,” said Leavitt. “But we expect him back sometime during the year, we just don’t know when. I think that his return for the first game (against Elon on Sept. 1) is doubtful, realistically. Matt is such a hard worker that he is probably farther along that most people. Steve Walz (Head Athletic Trainer) does a great job (in getting the guys back), he really does. He’s got to be one of the best in the country.” 

The Bulls will gather on Sunday for meetings however it will be an off day in terms of practice. USF will hit the practice field again for double sessions on Monday at 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. – 5:25 p.m.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

Son Of A *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erskin......**** it all.

I was expecting really big things out of him this season. Lets just hope we can get through the rest of the practices without any more injuries. Thankfully we are deep at WR, but I really saw him being a ig contributor by stretching the defense with his speed.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Erskin is like 5'9" but plays like he's 6'3".  He might have the surest hands on the team and catches everything in a 4 foot radius around him.  Don't kid yourself, he was going to have a HUGE impact this year.

One thing this team has, though, is raw speed.  Maybe Carlton Mitchell gets moved to returns now... he's got wheels.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

Since we have a thread dedicated to Erskins injury, thought I would bring this up:

“We got cut short, but that’s o.k.,†said USF head football coach Jim Leavitt. “We’ll come back next week and really get going. The guys worked hard and did a lot of banging and I felt like I didn’t want to push it. We could have come in (into the locker room) and waited and seen if the lightning was going to stay in the area. I think it was pretty smart that we got in before the storm. We got in a lot of hitting today,†said Leavitt.

Leavitt will do his best to have us ready, but fresh for Auburn.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived