Guess who was the leading tackler in Jets Falcons game?

T-Man

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,416
  • Days Won:  1

Oh yes......Mr. Stephen Nicholas!  4 Tackles was good enough to lead Falcons tonight!

• Content Count:  75
  • Days Won:  0

Oh yes......Mr. Stephen Nicholas!  4 Tackles was good enough to lead Falcons tonight!

Now, if he could only play QB ;D

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

290D5F998ACE46F3B1870AC95791687E.ashx?w=900&h=600

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I hope that isn't because he was the third stringer that played all the second half...

• Content Count:  3,103

I hope that isn't because he was the third stringer that played all the second half...

didn't the head coach said a while back that he should be starting when the season comes around?  i would think he is first string based off of that.

didn't the head coach said a while back that he should be starting when the season comes around?  i would think he is first string based off of that.

No, they brought in a free agent who will start.  Nicholas is battling for the 2nd string.

• Content Count:  1,254

Yeah, he should be 2nd string. A couple weeks back he was on a radio show and said that he was practicing 1st string because Michael Boley was hurt. However, Boley should be back for the start of the season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

that's ok-- Kawika had to work his way into a starting role. So did Anthony Henry.

Nicholas is a solid LB and will have a productive career. I just wish he was a Buc or a Bear

• Content Count:  1,797

Hate to break the sad news to you  guys ;D, but according to this AJC article, Snake started and made his first tackle on the second play of the game.

Rookies make their first contributions

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/11/07

East Rutherford, N.J.  The Falcons promised to get their rookies ready to play. The sooner, the better.

Four of them started and 10 saw considerable action in the preseason opener. Only lineman Doug Datish, who was placed on injured reserve, didn't contribute in the team's 31-16 loss to the New York Jets on Friday at Giants Stadium.

Right defensive end Jamaal Anderson, the No. 8 overall pick in this year's draft, weakside linebacker Stephen Nicholas, right guard Justin Blalock and tight end Martrez Milner also started.

Milner was on the field when the Falcons opened the game with an empty backfield and Joey Harrington completed a 9-yard pass to Roddy White.

"I think Laurent Robinson made a couple of nice catches for us," Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said. "He's going to be a nice player for us. Jamaal Anderson was in there a lot. He held the point (of attack) against the run pretty well. We really didn't get to see him pass rush."

Here's a look at how the rookies fared:

• Nicholas didn't waste any time getting the mix. He made a tackle on New York's second play from scrimmage, stopping Thomas Jones after a 6-yard gain.

• Safety Daren Stone laid out New York's Leon Washington and made a smashing hit in punt coverage for a 2-yard loss in the first quarter. In the fourth quarter, he broke up a deep pass.

• Anderson did not have any eye-popping plays, but he stayed at home on a reverse by Brad Smith and held up the play until help arrived.

• Blalock had a big block on Jerious Norwood's 10-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. Left guard Kynan Forney cleared on the path, but Blalock sealed off the backside with a strong block.

• Cornerback David Irons flashed some speed by chasing down Washington, who had broken loose on an 86-yard kickoff return.

• Cornerback Chris Houston was called for pass interference when Smith ran a fade route early in the second quarter.

• The electrifying Robinson, one of the stars of training camp, did not disappoint. He made a spectacular catch on a D.J. Shockley pass in the third quarter.

"The ball was a little bit inside and I just reached out and gave the best I could to get it," Robinson said. "It just ended up in my hands."

He finished with five receptions for 49 yards.

"I felt like I did all right," Robinson said. "I felt like I could have done better. I've just got to get in the flow of things, learn the offense and execute my plays."

• Running back Jason Snelling showed that he had a little burst when he ripped off a 12-yard gain over left tackle. He led the team in rushing with 10 carries for 48 yards.

• Defensive tackle Trey Lewis was stout in run support and flashed in the backfield a couple of times. He was credited with two tackles, a quarterback hurry and half a sack.

"Trey has started to come on in practice," Petrino said. "It's big step for him, from the level that he's coming from. But we've been encouraged by what we've seen from him lately."

• Milner had a quiet evening. He had one opportunity on a little route off a bootleg, but Shockley missed him on the throw.

Normal

www.ajc.com/sports/content/falcons/stories/2007/08/10/falside_0811.htm?cxntlid=inform

Archived