ESPN: Top DB duo in the florida (and nation?) belongs to South Florida

Velcro

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

in case this hasn't been posted...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2968604

7. The best cornerback duo in Florida plays for South Florida

The "big three" college football programs in Florida have long been known for churning out NFL cornerbacks.

Florida State was once known as Cornerback U after producing All-American players such as Deion Sanders, Terrell Buckley, LeRoy Butler and Corey Sawyer. Five Miami cornerbacks were selected in the first round of the past 10 NFL drafts, and Florida produced All-American cornerback Lito Sheppard.

But going into the 2007 season, upstart South Florida might have the best cornerback duo in the state -- and one of the best in the country. Senior cornerbacks Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins nearly entered the NFL draft after their junior seasons, but each returned to school to help the Bulls continue their rise in the Big East.

Williams was an All-Big East selection last season after intercepting seven passes with nine pass breakups and 49 tackles. Jenkins, one of the fastest players in college football, had one interception and 15 pass breakups -- and could have had more if opponents weren't so hesitant to throw to his side of the field.

With those lockdown cornerbacks leading the way, South Florida limited opposing quarterbacks to a 51.2 percent completion rate last season.

"They're good," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "Trae and Mike both had a very good summer. They are very focused, they are very good and very talented players. They are talented because they understand that they have to work, they can't lay their helmet on the field, and they need to get it done."

• Content Count:  380
  • Days Won:  0

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2968604

In an article about the 7 college football secrets, Espn mentions usf at number 7

7. The best cornerback duo in Florida plays for South Florida

The "big three" college football programs in Florida have long been known for churning out NFL cornerbacks.

Florida State was once known as Cornerback U after producing All-American players such as Deion Sanders, Terrell Buckley, LeRoy Butler and Corey Sawyer. Five Miami cornerbacks were selected in the first round of the past 10 NFL drafts, and Florida produced All-American cornerback Lito Sheppard.

But going into the 2007 season, upstart South Florida might have the best cornerback duo in the state -- and one of the best in the country. Senior cornerbacks Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins nearly entered the NFL draft after their junior seasons, but each returned to school to help the Bulls continue their rise in the Big East.

Williams was an All-Big East selection last season after intercepting seven passes with nine pass breakups and 49 tackles. Jenkins, one of the fastest players in college football, had one interception and 15 pass breakups -- and could have had more if opponents weren't so hesitant to throw to his side of the field.

With those lockdown cornerbacks leading the way, South Florida limited opposing quarterbacks to a 51.2 percent completion rate last season.

"They're good," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "Trae and Mike both had a very good summer. They are very focused, they are very good and very talented players. They are talented because they understand that they have to work, they can't lay their helmet on the field, and they need to

• Content Count:  849

This is old news and I beleive it has already been posted,but at any rate  Mark Schlabach has been one of the USF supporters there at ESPN,

he also predicted that we will be Auburn earlier in the year. Its always good to read this, I love that both Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams are getting a lot of attention and they both deserve it, however, as good as Trae Williams is, I'm a little upset at the fact that most media publications always site Trae Williams as the better of the two, this couldn't be further from the truth. Mike Jenkins is definitely the better of the two and the reason Trae has so many picks is because nobody throws towards Mike Jenkins' side.

I like both of them as they are my 2 favorite players.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

I also feel Mike Jenkins is a stud out there-- but let's not dismiss the abilities Trae has either. He may have more opportunities at INTs, but he makes the plays --- and not just on defense but also special teams. Both are special players-- I would give them equal footing in terms of impact.

• Content Count:  4,642

It's nice to see our name getting thrown out there so much lately.

I hope those two have a record year.

I hope we can stop the short passes over the middle to the TE's.  That seems to be the play that we get burnt on most often.  A wide open tight end romping for 35 yards on 3rd down and 20.

I hope we can stop the short passes over the middle to the TE's.  That seems to be the play that we get burnt on most often.  A wide open tight end romping for 35 yards on 3rd down and 20.

IMHO: This was the BIGGEST reason we lost the Kansas game.  Our DBs played man, but the LB's played zone... and so many times as a TE came across the field, the LB's didn't pick up... they were wide open and would get 10-15 yards per catch.

Yeah... that was aweful.  Your defense does so well to make stops, but then that one flaw keeps giving up first downs on long yardage situations.  Totally demoralizing.

• Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

if these guys are as good as advertised usf should be in every game

Archived