USF on ESPN College Football Live (8/10)

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Take anything he or Herbstreit say with a grain of salt.  First of all he probably doesn't know as much about our program yet.  None of them do (remember, it was not even 2 years ago that ESPN had to use a a plain gold helmet for their awards after the UL game).

He could also be playing devil's advocate.  We've been getting good press.  Look how many questions they have been getting about us making the air.  Why not take the other side of the argument?  He has nothing to lose by it.  It makes for a better discussion anyway.

One thing though, in the big scheme of things we have done nothing at all prove comments like this wrong.  2 wins over ranked teams.  Big whoop.  Grothe is a marginally known name around the country.  Outside of the Big East and maybe Alabama (with Ford landing here), do we really believe that anyone other than a die hard college football fan has ever heard of any player other than Grothe? 

Of course we look like a flash in the pan to just about anyone but ourselves.  A few years of staying power and they will all be singing a different tune.  It needs to be done of the field though.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

Since we ARE competitive within the Big East, having beaten the past two conference champs in the past two years, wouldn't that imply he does not believe any of the teams in the Big East could compete with UF, FSU, and UM?

• Content Count:  75

One of you guys has got to be more internet savy than me.  Let's get a hold of a mail box for him and stampede him.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I recorded it but not sure i can stomach to watch it after reading this thread.

Save it. Post it online or something. And email it to him every time we beat Auburn, win the Big East title, win the national title, beat Florida, and beat Miami.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Another thing, did FSU have tradition before Bowden got there? Did uf have tradition (other than cheating in the 80's) unitl Spurrier got there? NO. The more we win, the more we will be able to recruit against the big boys, and sometimes you find someone too short that is a GREAT QB. Ask FSU if they would rather have Grothe than ANY of their QB's.

Hell, Miami was talking about SHUTTING THEIR PROGRAM DOWN until Howard Schnellenberger showed up. And Florida was about where USF is until Spurrier showed up. So let's not pretend that those three schools have been great for 50 years or something.

Also someone should ask Mark May what happened to his alma mater. They used to be a power and now they're pretty mediocre. Once you get to the top, you don't just stay there forever.

• Content Count:  928

What's the big deal? It's true.

You all think that because we went 9-4 and won a bowl game that we can compete on a consitent basis with teams that have won multiple national championships each.

Be greatful we were mentioned again and not by some USF homer in Tampa, but by some dude in North Carolina.

11 years old and you all wanna drink with the adults.

• Content Count:  75

You all think that because we went 9-4 and won a bowl game that we can compete on a consitent basis with teams that have won multiple national championships each.

Be greatful we were mentioned again and not by some USF homer in Tampa, but by some dude in North Carolina.

11 years old and you all wanna drink with the adults.

This is crap!  The only school in Florida that can claim to be a powerhouse anymore is UF.  We are easily as good as FSU and UM at this point.  More importantly, we are on our way up and those two programs are clearly on their way down along with their conference.  Gimme a break, WF won the ACC last year.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I think it was that May was so emphatic that it would NEVER happen. FSU is wobbling and there's no telling what will happen when Bowden retires. And there are five chances on our schedule to prove we can hang with Miami.

• Content Count:  1,779

Never liked Mark May since 2001 when USF beat Pitt. According to him the only reason why USF won was because Antonio Bryant was not playing. I never knew a WR could make such a difference.  Plus when Joe S. made a comment about USF a few weeks back you should see the grimace on May's face. I respect Mark May only when he is not talking about USF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

I respect the Big Three in terms of what Mark May is saying and we have a long way to go to compete in terms of overall support.

Can we compete on the field? Absolutely.

Can we compete in terms of facilities, donors, history, etc etc? No-- no yet. THose things take a lot of time to build up. We are many many years behind in that regard.

So basically what May is saying is that he values those items more highly than he does current team on-the-field power. He has never wavered from this type of viewpoint. PLus-- he has someone feeding him half of his opinions much of the time imo. Being mentioned-- that alone is a nice thing. I just wish Mark May wasn't the one asked the question since he does have little respect for anyone who has not already done something amazing or been around as an identifiable commodity.

PS-- as for the notion that UF had nothing prior to Spurier as a head coach-- I have to disagree. If anything-- they have built their program brick by brick over a very long haul. Just look at how their stadium has been assembled over the past 50+ years. True-- they were not some dominant team in the 1950s or some earlier era like an Oklahoma or Army or Notre Dame and the like. But Steve Spurier didn't win that Heisman for good looks-- he led them to some very big wins back then. THe Florida Georgia rivalry alone gives them tons of tradition and that is only talking about on of many they have established over the years. I respect that and I want that for my team too.

Archived