ESPN: Trickeration Nation

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  75
  • Days Won:  0

One was called, the other was not. If we go rugby style again this year I hope we run this fake a couple more times.

Rugby style is for Rugby.  God we need a kicking game :(

Two things boggle my mind about USF Football.

One, we are a commuter school 30-40-50 strong that can sell out a local stadium. Graduates don't move out of town, so get your ass out and support the team.

Two,  that there isn't a kicker and a punter somewhere across the nation that doesn't want to come and be a part of what CJL is building.  He would be a guaranteed starter.  Missed extra points and rugby punting don't win championships

• Content Count:  231

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2967264&sportCat=ncf

Hopefully he'll be saying the same thing at halftime about Grothe.

"I've seen a lot more imagination in play calling and special teams and change-momentum plays," said Auburn's Tommy Tuberville, who earned the nickname "Riverboat Gambler" for his willingness to roll the dice. "A lot more -- even in the NFL. People are doing things to give them an edge. I think that has to do with parity, teams being equal. You're looking for an edge that can win the game."

Sept. 28, 2006: Auburn 24, South Carolina 17. The favored Tigers begin the second half with a grinding, 17-play field goal drive for a 17-10 lead -- then turn right around and try an onside kick. Auburn recovers, keeps the ball the entirety of the third quarter and into the fourth, and scores against an exhausted defense for an insurmountable 24-10 advantage.

That call was certainly par for the course with Tuberville, but it also reflected a trick-play reality: Sometimes you just can't stop the other team and need to try something extraordinary.

"I told our team at halftime, 'I've seen enough of their quarterback,'" Tuberville recalled from that South Carolina game. "'I don't want to see him out there again. If we score, we're going to onside it.'"

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Historically speaking, our teams have not been conditioned to the degree that I would prefer to see when the season starts (remember Bama?).  So, this could be a strategy that may work against USF as well...

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Historically speaking, our teams have not been conditioned to the degree that I would prefer to see when the season starts (remember Bama?).  So, this could be a strategy that may work against USF as well...

I think that is primarily a factor of our lack of depth.  It's still hot in September, making it tough on our first stringers if they have to stay in for a bunch of plays.  We need to be able to give guys a breather during long drives.  Hopefully we are starting to build the kind of depth that will allow that.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Well, on special teams, Leavitt isn't exactly a conservative guy.  Fake punt in the Meineke Bowl down near our own goal line.  Fake punt on our own 25 yard line vs Cincinnati when our offense was doing nothing.  2 fake punts in a row against Pitt.

Sometimes the coach will do what he has to in an attempt to get things roling or to change the momentum.

I remember a Tampa Bay Bandit game where Spurrier called an onsides kick on the opening kickoff.  They go down, score a TD then he pulls off another onsides kick.  Let's try it against Auburn!!!!

• Content Count:  75

I remember a Tampa Bay Bandit game where Spurrier called an onsides kick on the opening kickoff.  They go down, score a TD then he pulls off another onsides kick.  Let's try it against Auburn!!!!

I hope this doesn't make it into CJL's plans.  He needs to run the ball the first three downs of the game.  If we don't get a 1st down, our hopes and dreams this year coull need re-basing.

Trickery is for teams that can't cram the ball down your throat!

Archived