CFN rates the D-Backs

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Being ranked in the top 10 iis pretty cool.  Our defense is getting recognition.  See the 3 teams listed before us as well.

CFN 2007 Preview Unit Rankings - Defensive Backs Ranked 1 to 119

1. Oklahoma

Loaded, loaded, loaded. There are ten players with appreciable experience and at least four all-star candidates, probably six. With all the movement, the hope will be for an even better year against the run and when plays are there to be made in the open field. After allowing 11 touchdown passes before the Fiesta Bowl, this group will make amends.

2. USC

Last season’s Pac-10-best pass defense will be even stingier this season, adding more picks and fumble recoveries to an already impressive stat sheet. This is an NFL caliber secondary with several players certain to make a whole bunch of money at the next level. The Trojans biggest problem in the secondary?  Keeping six experienced and qualified players happy with only four starting jobs available.  Every Pac-10 school should have such a problem.  All four starters return.

3. Virginia Tech

To be fair, the Hokies didn't exactly play a who's who of passing attacks, but it was great at keeping everyone from getting into any sort of a groove. Opponents completed 51% of their passes with just six touchdowns and 17 interceptions, and allowed just one touchdown pass, in the bowl loss to Georgia, over the final seven games and gave up two in 11 games (with four coming in back-to-back losses to Georgia Tech and Boston College). As long as Kam Chancellor is a decent fill-in for Aaron Rouse and Cary Wade, the Hokie D will once again be phenomenal

4. South Florida

Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams are pro-caliber cover men playing against college receivers, but the good news doesn’t end there.  The reserves are also solid, giving the program one of the best collections of corners in America. After Louisville’s Brian Brohm, the Big East has no truly top-notch passers.  That reality combined with this secondary will land the Bulls among the nation’s top 10 or 12 teams this year in pass efficiency defense.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/665805.html

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

"After Louisville’s Brian Brohm, the Big East has no truly top-notch passers."

Grothe ???

2,500+ passing yards as a redshirt freshman......are they leaving him out because he runs a lot with the spread.......or because he was just a redshirt last year?

This post was about the d-backs not the offense. 

• Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

Love seeing us up there with traditional power houses...we aren't just crashing the party we are here to stay!

As for Grothe i think were only speaking of qb's we will have to face

• Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

I wonder how much this helps Grothe and the rest of the Bull QBs having to practice against our great D-backs.

I wonder how much this helps Grothe and the rest of the Bull QBs having to practice against our great D-backs.

Not sure.  They could become a bit complacent about throwing INTs in practice.

Coach Gregory should make them run extra hard for every INT they throw in practice... condition them to never throw a pick.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,805
  • Days Won:  213

"After Louisville’s Brian Brohm, the Big East has no truly top-notch passers."

Grothe ???

2,500+ passing yards as a redshirt freshman......are they leaving him out because he runs a lot with the spread.......or because he was just a redshirt last year?

This post was about the d-backs not the offense. 

ok-- I know this is about the defense and all--- but that comment is a bit of a negative outlook on the entire Big East INCLUDING USF.

Maybe it is just me and a handful of Bulls fans, but it always seems like whenever there is some sort of positive press, there is also some inkling of negative stuff too. I suppose we could just say we're reading into this. Perhaps if we compared Grothe's passer rating efficiency and some other stats versus an older, more experienced player like Brohm.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,805
  • Days Won:  213

then again-- perhaps they are only talking about the teams that the Bulls face in the Big East and not including Grothe in that comment.

ok-- I can loive with that

Archived