Would you want this guy on our team?

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Get the kid a helmet, jersey and a text book. 

trespassing, a little weed, burgulary and larceny.  if you grew up where I did and didnt do that stuff you were an L7 weinie.

But once and if he enrolls i agree with Jim, one strike and he is out.   

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

There is always another side to the story.  Of course it will be up to coaching staff to decide if they want to take a chance on this guy.  However, here is some more background information.

Hardrick dismissed from FSU football

Ex-Edgewater star Matt Hardrick did not agree with his new position coach.

Andrew Carter | Sentinel Staff Writer

August 8, 2007

TALLAHASSEE - Matt Hardrick had just settled into his new apartment here in town. The 2005 Edgewater High graduate had lost 23 pounds during the offseason, and his goal was to get down to about 320. He anticipated competing during the next few weeks for time on the Florida State offensive line.

Hardrick, though, is a Seminole no longer. Coach Bobby Bowden announced on Tuesday after FSU's first fall practice here that the former Edgewater star, who started for the Eagles from 2001-04, has been dismissed from the program for violation of team rules.

FSU coaches and officials wouldn't comment further about how Hardrick -- once one of the most promising high school prospects in Central Florida -- found his way off the team. He, however, still was enrolled in the university as of Tuesday afternoon, according to Mark Meleney, the director of athletic academic support.

Mia Robinson, Hardrick's mother, said Tuesday that her son and new offensive line coach Rick Trickett had a poor relationship, which Robinson said propelled the dismissal.

"It wasn't a surprise," Robinson said of learning her son's fate at FSU. "Basically they [Trickett and Hardrick] were bumping heads, and I just found out not too long ago how in-depth it was, how he was handling my son.

"They started off on the wrong foot, and it never seemed like they got back."

Robinson acknowledged that her son had violated team rules, but she wouldn't go into detail about specifics of the violation.

"The only way he was going to get out was to violate [team rules]," she said.

News that Hardrick was no longer on the team was met with disappointment from some of his Seminoles teammates, including redshirt junior Kenny Ingram, a safety who played with Hardrick at Edgewater.

"I was sad for him," Ingram said. "I called him, and he said that he's feeling real down and upset about it.

"And I'm just hoping for the best, because he's a good kid, and I hope everything works out for him."

Efforts to reach Hardrick on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

The sophomore, who arrived here in 2006 after he spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia, figured to be in the mix for playing time on a Seminoles offensive line that already appears thin. In addition to the absence of Hardrick, FSU practiced on the first day without offensive linemen Dumaka Atkins and John Frady, both of whom have yet to be cleared medically.

On the preseason depth chart, Hardrick had been listed as a backup to Daron Rose at left tackle. Hardrick was one of three true freshman offensive linemen who earned playing time for the Seminoles a season ago. He played in eight games.

While still at Edgewater, Hardrick was recruited by Florida, Miami and Oklahoma, among others. Bill Gierke, who coached Hardrick at Edgewater, said he had heard Tuesday morning that his former lineman had been dismissed, but that he had not received word from FSU on the reason.

"Nothing surprises me anymore," Gierke said. "I don't mean to say that in a negative way. There's nothing that surprises me anymore. Hate to see it happen to Matt, because he really played good for me. Unfortunately, it happens."

Robinson said her son now would decide where to take his football career next. She said he is considering all options, including the possibility of transferring to a Division I-AA school, which would enable Hardrick to play immediately instead of sitting out a year.

Robinson said she feels no ill will toward FSU, though she said she wished Hardrick's relationship with Trickett had been more positive. She said her son's weight -- he was FSU's heaviest offensive lineman -- was a constant point of tension between Trickett and him.

Trickett was unavailable for comment Tuesday night.

"I don't really think he was going to give him a chance anyway," Robinson said. "It's just unfortunate. I'm ready for my son to move on, and his happiness is what means the most to me."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-fsu0807aug08,0,7052388.story

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I like the ieda of asking Mike Ford if he's worth his salt.  Mike played with him for a year at Hargrave.  To the coach's he probily has some insite as to wether he's a troublemaker or not.

• Content Count:  5,691

I say he desrves a second chance but that doesn't mean it needs to come at OUR university. We don't need the baggae on the team.

While taking transfers like taylor and mckenzie are fine as they had pt no pot issues at a prior university im all for passing on kids who pass us by then get in trouble and want to run to us as 2nd choice

• Content Count:  32

fact is we do not have a talent at tackle like him, it's a position we haven't recruited very well for whatever reason. and if our depth is shallow now. next year we lose walker and the huan sieve carnes and dile will be a senior. we'll be depending on a sophmore (tolley) and a freshman (edenfield) to fill the void and good luck if anyone gets injured. i'm on the fence on whether we take him, but considering our tackle issues l'm thinking leavitt may give it a chance, he could turn out to be a huge steal and is at a position of dire need.

Carnes isn't a human sieve -- but he does commit/get caught for a lot of holding penalties... at least he did last year.  Hopefully he has worked on his footwork and technique to be in a better position to "legally" block.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

trespassing, a little weed, burgulary and larceny.  if you grew up where I did and didnt do that stuff you were an L7 weinie.

Giving him another chance (what would it be, his 5th?) is up for debate.

But saying law abiding citizens are somehow strange or "uncool" because they respect the law and others around them is sheer genius.

Every time I think I have seen the most ignorant post in the history of message boards, someone on here always finds a way to take it up a notch.

::) ::) ::) ::)

• Content Count:  1,911

Giving him another chance (what would it be, his 5th?) is up for debate.

But saying law abiding citizens are somehow strange or "uncool" because they respect the law and others around them is sheer genius.

Every time I think I have seen the most ignorant post in the history of message boards, someone on here always finds a way to take it up a notch.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Wrong MAB, not everyone lives in the suburbs of Virginia my friend.  Grow up in a place like I did and try to hang out, get respect and make friends with your homework out and preaching "respect the law" and see if you dont get smacked in the back of the head.  not saying its cool but I know good people who have done lots of really messup up crap and are good, successful law abiding citizens today.  Know why?  Because they were given another chance. 

The kid is how old?  I did everyone of those charges and own a business where I deal with people from strippers to clergymen.  I judge none of them. 

did he do any of that at USF?  no. bring him in and put him on a short leesh, if he does while we pay for his education, hit the bricks.

ignorant is judging a person without knowing them.  I bet you have done over 10 things in your life that you would have gotten arrested for but were never caught in police infested Prarietown.

• Content Count:  1,433

I agree... Mike Ford will be able to tell the coaches if he's worth the chance. 

• Content Count:  1,779

For some kids not all where you grow up can have an influence on the things you do as a teenager.  Hardrick does not appear to be a teenager anymore.

Can South Florida use a player of his size?  "Yes". 

Should USF bring a player like this into the program?

Looking into the information that was presented there appears to be slight possibility.  It appears he was charged with those crimes while he was in high school and there were no more issues that followed after attending Military School and his first year at FSU.  He also seemed to have a desire to play by lossing 20 pounds in the off-season. Finally according to his mother Hardrick and Trickett did not get along and that is not uncommon when there are coaching changes.

If I was CJL I would check the details then make a decision. If he does join the team he would be under the one strike policy and a strict workout and academic program.

Archived