Men’s Soccer Announces Additions To Nationally Ranked Soccer Class

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

Men’s Soccer Announces Additions To Nationally Ranked Soccer Class

TAMPA, Fla. (August 8, 2007) – With the 2007 season fast approaching, University of South Florida men’s soccer head coach George Kiefer released the names of eight more athletes on Wednesday that will be joining the team this fall.  The additions bolster a class already ranked 24th in the country by College Soccer News.

One of three transfers, Zak Boggs comes to the squad after one year at UCF.  Boggs, a native of Vienna, West Virginia, garnered NCAA All-Region honors after leading the Knights in scoring with five goals and an assist for 11 points in 2006.  Prior to his stint at UCF, Boggs starred at West Virginia and was fifth in scoring, also with five goals and an assist for 11 points, as the Mountaineers advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.  A former IMG Academy standout, Boggs received recognition as a 2004 NSCAA High School Scholar-Athlete All-American and a National Merit finalist.

The Bulls will add depth in goal with the addition of Michael Canard, a graduate of Buchholz High in Gainesville.  A member of the Region III team, Canard participated in numerous events from 2004-06 and traveled to California, Texas and Buenos Aires, Argentina for an international tournament with the squad.  An honor student, Canard lettered all four years in soccer and participated in four Olympic Development Programs from 2003-06. 

A local talent, Fernando Gonzalez registered 10 goals and 18 assists as team captain last year for the Gaither High squad.  Gonzalez also served as co-captain for the HC United club team, which won a national and North American championship, and was named to the Admiral Cup First Team in 2005 as well.

A member of the Connecticut Olympic Development Team, Luke Magill, from Newtown, Conn., also played for the English Club youth team Bolton Wanderers while studying abroad in England.

Armante Marshall, a midfielder and three-time team captain for Lincoln High in Tallahassee, joins the team after having played one year at Stetson University.  Marshall started all 21 games as a freshman, tallying four goals scored and three assists for 11 points.  He was named to the A-Sun All-Freshman and All-Tournament Team.  He also scored the game-winning goal in the conference championship game.  At Lincoln, he was a three-sport standout and team MVP on the soccer field during his junior and senior seasons.  Marshall was crowned Big Bend Player of the Year and named to the Admiral All-Tournament team his senior year as well, after career highs in goals (26) and assists (24).

A native of Peru, Gonzalo Ramella is a former NAIA All-American and All-Region team member at Warner Southern.  An alumnus of Sunset High in Miami, Ramella helped the team make the Florida state final-four two years in a row. Additionally, Ramella also logged time with the West Kendall club team that won a state championship and was ranked in the top-10 in the country.  He has also been a member of the Peruvian youth team Sporting Crystal.

Casey Tafuri, also out of Lincoln High, brings defensive experience to the Bulls as another Region III team member and Olympic Development Program participant for the state of Florida.  Tafuri, who started for the varsity squad all four years and is a two-time All-Big Bend first-team selection, also served as a team captain for the Tallahassee United club team.  He has traveled to Buenos Aires, Argentina, for international tournaments with the Region III squad as well.

Rounding out the newest crop of athletes, Marshall Schultz, a midfielder from Lake Worth, will join the Bulls this fall as well.  Schultz was named to the Palm Beach area All-High School Team in 2006 and played varsity ball for Lake Worth all four years.

These eight combine with the six athletes that the men’s soccer program released in June to give the team 14 newcomers thus far.  The Bulls will face the University of Tampa for the Rowdies’ Cup in an exhibition match on Aug. 18 before opening the 2007 regular season on Aug. 31 at home against UCF. 

The Bulls received three first place votes and 81 points to garner a third-place red division standing in the BIG EAST preseason poll, released by the office yesterday.

Three Bulls Named to the PDL All-Conference Team; Taylor U19 POY Finalist

TAMPA, Fla. (August 8, 2007) – The United Soccer League has honored three University of South Florida men’s soccer players with the release of its list of Premier Development League All-Conference Teams.  Forward Tony Taylor has also been named a finalist for the Under-19 Player of the Year award.  The selections were the result of votes cast by the teams’ coaches and general managers.

Along with Taylor, forward Zak Boggs and keeper Diego Restrepo also garnered recognition among the 44 total members selected to the PDL All-Conference teams.

All three competed in the league’s Southern Conference, with Restrepo and Boggs teamed together on the Bradenton Academics and Taylor on the front line for the Central Florida Kraze.

Taylor, one of three finalists for the PDL U19 Player of the Year, recorded 10 goals and five assists in only seven games in his first season with the Kraze.  He finished in the top-10 of total points scored with 25. 

Boggs tallied 28 points in 13 games played for the Academics, scoring 11 goals.  He ranks in the top-10 in all three major offensive categories in the league – 28 points scored (8th), 11 goals (T-9th) and six assists (T-8th).

Restrepo has posted five shutouts in 11 games for the Academics and is tied for sixth-most in the league.

The winner of the U19 Player of the Year award will be announced Thurs., Aug. 9.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

We take the Knights best soccer player??  Those poor guys...it sucks to be them.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

I like it, hopefully Kiefer can get them to play as a unit and we will be tough to beat.

Archived