• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

ledgeronlinelogo88.gif

USF's Williams Looks to 'Compete' and Stay on Top at Running Back

By Rick Brown

The ledger

TAMPA | There's a lot of excitement surrounding the University of South Florida's football team this season, particularly its running backs.

With the additions of Mike Ford and Lakeland's Jamar Taylor, plus the return of Moise Plancher from injury, many think the position is deeper than last season.

During those running back discussions, however, many fail to mention one returner - Ben Williams from Lake Wales. Williams is not only the leading rusher among running backs from last year but is the reigning MVP from the Papajohns.com bowl game victory for USF.

Though an afterthought to some, the 5-foot-7 junior certainly isn't an afterthought to his team.

"Ben Williams is ahead of everyone else," said USF coach Jim Leavitt. "He's the MVP of our bowl game. He's the most steady. He blocks as well as run and does some good things. With Ben, you have four or five guys who will compete."

Williams is used to competition, often overcoming odds to find himself on the field.

He decided to try to make the team as a walk-on and went to an open tryout in February 2005, impressing the staff enough to make the team.

The Meineke Car Care Bowl was his only game action that first year, but it set him up for 2006, where he shared the USF Green and Gold Pride Award as one of the top walk-on players on the team.

Now, he's in another battle.

"It's a natural thing," Williams said. "Those players in high school were pretty big. The team is always going to recruit the best, so it's always about the competition.

"I'm willing to compete," he said. "Competition always makes you better. I'm going out every day, working out and practicing hard. I'm going to work hard to make them better and they're going to work hard to make me better. Competition is never a bad thing."

Last season, Williams started the season deep on the depth chart, but injuries and hard work allowed him an opportunity. He parlayed that opportunity into starting all 13 games for USF. Williams had 436 yards on 122 carries and four touchdowns. He had his first 100-yard game (103 yards on 22 carries) in a win against Connecticut, when he also had the first of his two rushing touchdowns. He also added one receiving touchdown on the year.

"He was the most consistent running back we had last year," said USF running back's coach Carl Franks. "He plays hard. He's a great blocker. He's a guy I can trust back there. If we were starting today, he would be the starting running back."

The week after a game, USF shows a highlight reel of the previous game, Franks said. Williams would be on the highlight film almost weekly, either with his runs or one of his blocks.

Quarterback Matt Grothe (Lake Gibson) says he is very comfortable with Williams behind him.

"Ben did a great job last year, and he's bigger, stronger and faster this year,'' Grothe said. "I expect more from him. He's a very capable runner who knows what he's doing back there."

Williams said no matter how the battle goes, he wants to do whatever to help the team win.

"I want to be at the top (of the depth chart)," he said. "My main thing is to focus and keep pushing hard. Whether it is on special teams or wherever, I want to help the team go as far as we can go."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Good article.

I studied with him last football season and he's a smart focused guy. If he stays on the depth chart, that means he's elevated his level to great heights. Good luck Ben!!!

"...I'm going to work hard to make them better and they're going to work hard to make me better. Competition is never a bad thing."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I'm proud to have a guy like Williams as part of BULL Nation.

Archived