Trib: Erskin Banks On His Speed

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

Erskin is the fastest "40" guy on our team - FACT ! . . . more facts that everyone should be excited about:

Erskin is the best on the team at the initial start from the LOS, VERY important.

Erskin has the staright-ahead speed to get away from the defender.

Erskin is VERY reliable in catching balls thrown to him.

Erskin has been here about 2 years and has improved dramaticly. He's currently expected to be a starter. Randolph came outta nowhere last year.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  75
  • Days Won:  0

He really doesnt look ast fast as his 40 suggests but ill take the coaches and players word for it. 

Watch the Taurus video and in one of the plays where he catches it deep across this middle you will see he takes off and Erskin gains on him quick and then pulls back.  He's fast, but fast doesn't catch the ball.  Hopefully, he evolves.  Who can't root for a little white guy in today's game? :)

... Canales said. "He has to keep working on ball skills, making the tough catch out of his frame. We know anything in his frame he'll be good with. It's anything outside his frame he has to work on.

"He's not 5-11, he's not 6 feet, he's 5-9 and he has to be able to get outside his frame because the ball is not always going to be perfect."

458324.jpg

• Content Count:  919

I had never been a big fan of Erskin's, but I'm starting to come around.  I think I was biased by his walk-on status and his mis-use IMO as a RB last year.  I know it was because of depth issues, but he is better suited to the slot.  If he continues to be productive this year, I'll be a believer.

Jake,

Think you have the thoughts that many have ... the memory of his early season at RB.

We've seen him in spot duty towards the end of the season and the Spring was very good for him. He obviously has worked hard to get that starting position and will take more hard work to hold on to it.

He is still just a SO and I think he'll end up with a great season at WR.

Also expect he and Taurus on KR's, both great talents and we'll see more returns with the new KO rule.

At WR, I can not think of a bad thing to report about Erskin from 2006.

• Content Count:  75

This post is bad joo-joo.  I say we close it and agree to not post any player specific topics for the next 20 days :-\

• Content Count:  4,016

Erskin is the fastest "40" guy on our team - FACT ! . . . more facts that everyone should be excited about:

Erskin is the best on the team at the initial start from the LOS, VERY important.

Erskin has the staright-ahead speed to get away from the defender.

Erskin is VERY reliable in catching balls thrown to him.

Erskin has been here about 2 years and has improved dramaticly. He's currently expected to be a starter. Randolph came outta nowhere last year.

Not to me nitpicky ET but your first point is not necessarily FACT.  Erskin was the fastest forty guy to run the forty in the spring but not necessarily the fast forty on the team.  Notable exceptions not to run this spring included Ryan Gilliam, Mike Jenkins, Marcus Edwards, and Jamaal Jenkins.  How do you know Erskin is the best on the team from the LOS on initial starts?  If that is the case then it would be silly to line him up at the slot, put him out wide if he's the best at everything.

Let's hold our britches a bit.  Erskin was a nice player with good speed, and quick.  Other points are that he's not particularly big, actually small, and not real shifty either.  Erskin was still battling for a starting position and I was still curious whether that's a testiment to Erskin, or bad omen for highly touted recruits like Marcus Edwards, Jessie Hester, and Ed Alcin all more than capable to man the slot and with significant speed AND shiftiness.

I am a rosy fan too, but let's not over-state a few things. Let's not put Erskin in sick company like Rocket Ismail, or Neon Deion Sanders.  Below are clips of guys with legit speed like that, but are also quick and have real, true, fast acceleration.  Each started as a true freshman and went to the NFL or CFL in Rocket's case, as juniors (the same age as Erskin).

Just a little perspective when considering these crazy forty times.  So does your player really look and run like these guys, or did coach hit the stop match a touch quick?   It sucks what happened to Erskin, and he played well but my goodness this thread is building this guy into legendary status for thus far doing not much.

Archived