• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

news-journal online

USF sets sights on Big East title

By NICHOLAS MURRAY

Correspondent

TAMPA -- For a lot of the South Florida Bulls' squad, the teams' media day at Raymond James Stadium was a mixture of seriousness and fun.

"It's a lot of fun, especially for the incoming freshman," junior wide receiver Taurus Johnson said. "They get a whole new feel for what it's like before the season starts, get to walk round the field and stuff like that. Media day's a lot of fun."

While the team was enjoying the attention, with players taking photos of each other amongst the official photographers, one man was clearly wanting to be somewhere else, Coach Jim Leavitt.

"I'm thinking about practice tonight," Leavitt said. "That's what's on my mind. To me, this is something we have to do, and that's ok, there's a lot of things we have to do But I'm thinking about practice right now."

Bulls senior defensive back Trae Williams wasn't surprised Leavitt just wanted to get back to practice.

"I think he's ready to be back in practice," Williams said. "He's always riled up and ready to go."

But for the players, the afternoon was one to been enjoyed. Players waiting in line made faces at the player currently being photographed for the school's media guide, throwing some into laughing fits. Quarterback Matt Grothe was the central person for reporters wanting to fill their notebooks while others sat patiently around the edge of the field and locker room waiting to see if anyone wanted to grab a word about the upcoming season.

When they did get to talking, the word of the day was championship. After finishing 4-3 in the conference last season, the Bulls are expecting to challenge Louisville and West Virginia for the Big East title.

Senior center Nick Capogna is confident, but Added that just because a large group of starters are returning, it doesn't automatically mean South Florida will have a good team.

"We go into every year looking for a Big East championship," Capogna said. "That's what we expect. If we don't go to the Big East championship, the season's a failure, basically. Obviously, we've got a lot of guys back, so a lot of outside sources are saying we should have a pretty good team, but that doesn't really mean nothing. Having 15 starters back doesn't make us a good team."

But with Louisville and West Virginia coming to Tampa this season, the Bulls are confident their off-season work will pay off big in December.

Questions and Answers with coach Jim Leavitt.

How was your summer?

Busy, very, very busy. It's always busy, but this summer it was busier. A lot of things happened this summer.

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?

The glass is always full. Not half, full right to the brim. I don't do half anything.

Would you like an on-campus stadium?

If they could build one like (Raymond James Stadium), then yes. If not, no. This is my No.1 recruiting tool.

What's the most important thing for the team this season?

To go to school, to go to class, work on their education and hopefully receive a degree.

Is the program where you expected it to be?

I'll let you know at the end of the season. I don't know. We've gotten better, we've done some good things, but we're not there yet.

Where is "There"?

Winning a Big East championship. Until we win a Big East championship, we haven't reached the No.1 goal I have as far as the football team.

-- Nicholas Murray

Link

Questions and Answers with coach Jim Leavitt.

What's the most important thing for the team this season?

To go to school, to go to class, work on their education and hopefully receive a degree.

Although most of us here recognize this, I felt this was important enough to single out...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,676
  • Days Won:  25

No. 1 recruiting tool.

I think his expectations are exactly what's needed. NEVER expect less.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  2,580
  • Days Won:  1

Would you like an on-campus stadium?

If they could build one like (Raymond James Stadium), then yes. If not, no. This is my No.1 recruiting tool.

Link

This speaks volumes to me:

1.  We won't be getting an OCS for a long time.

2.  When we do, it's gonna kick a$$

The way it should be.

• Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

Lets not build an OC Stadium until it is top notch otherwise we are destroying a recruiting tool.  Go Leavitt give these young players a education and a degree.  A championship is a nice bonus though.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

What about the big picture regarding this article? Specifically, we have a paper in Daytona doing a story about the USF Bulls in Tampa. Like we've been saying all along, "if we keep doing our thing, Florida will notice, eventually the whole country." D*a*m*n, it feels good to be a Bull right now.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The glass is always full. Not half, full right to the brim. I don't do half anything.

Where is "There"?

Winning a Big East championship. Until we win a Big East championship, we haven't reached the No.1 goal I have as far as the football team.

This is why we love him.

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

I read this and almost fell out of my seat laughing...Leavitt is such a Bad Ass!!!  This line sounds like something out of those Chuck Norris Jokes...lol

Such as:

Jim Leavitt doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Jim Leavitt does not sleep. He waits.

Jim Leavitt once shot an enemy plane down with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"

If paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beats paper, what beats all 3 at the same time? Answer: Jim Leavitt.

Archived