E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

Gregory Wants More Balance For USF Offense

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Aug 7, 2007

TAMPA - When the University of South Florida began fall drills Monday night, the Bulls returned nearly their entire starting lineup.

MORE:

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBFFW8U15F.html

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

Gregory - "Head coaches are concerned with one stat - did you win?"

Winning will solve everything!!!

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Are we gonna see some WishBone from his Ohio days?

• Content Count:  4,503

Gregory said he doesn't believe the average fan will notice much difference between last year's offense and this year's version.

I sure hope he is wrong about this.

• Content Count:  1,297

Gregory said he doesn't believe the average fan will notice much difference between last year's offense and this year's version.

I'm thinking he meant the style of offense and not the production of the offense.  Let's hope.

• Content Count:  4,016

I'm thinking he meant the style of offense and not the production of the offense.  Let's hope.

Clearly, he's talking formations, and plays.  But the play calling, and athletes, and amount of the playbook used will change.

• Content Count:  4,642

The average fan sees run or pass.... the average fan will most likely not be able to pick a the difference between a draw and play-action.  As well as audibles when seeing good match-ups and a potential blitz.  I'm sure we'll all see a lot better offense.

We'll probably get more production because the opposing defenses will have to worry about a balanced offense.

Just to be super-optimistic, but does anyone else sense a possible Louisville-style offense, but with more QB mobility?

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The average fan sees run or pass.... the average fan will most likely not be able to pick a the difference between a draw and play-action.  As well as audibles when seeing good match-ups and a potential blitz.  I'm sure we'll all see a lot better offense.

We'll probably get more production because the opposing defenses will have to worry about a balanced offense.

Just to be super-optimistic, but does anyone else sense a possible Louisville-style offense, but with more QB mobility?

I don't really see a Louisville type of offense.  Maybe more like the Texas offense from 2005 with a running QB, several viable options at WR and a couple of good RBs.  Texas ran the spread and our offenseive blocking schemes were somewhat modeled after theirs last year.

I like what Gregory is saying about using the play action pass to open up the other parts of our offense.  Definitely sounds like he'll use what we have to allow our receivers to use their athleticism.  One thing that would drive me crazy about Smith is that he always seemed to get outcoached and wouldn't make adjustments or use plays to set up other plays later on.  To be fair, with more talent in the backfield and with more experienced receivers, Gregory probably has more to work with, but I also believe he knows what to do with it a bit better than Smith did.

The play action can only work if the running game is successful... obviously that hinges on Ford & company getting into gear... however, what I've read about USF's offensive line is that we're good at pass blocking, but not as strong at run blocking as we need to be...

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

The play action can only work if the running game is successful... obviously that hinges on Ford & company getting into gear... however, what I've read about USF's offensive line is that we're good at pass blocking, but not as strong at run blocking as we need to be...

STILL?

Archived