Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

USF Football Practice Report No. 1 – Monday, August 6, 2007

Evening Practice Kicks Off 2007 Season

Tampa, Fla. – The University of South Florida football team kicked off its 2007 season tonight with an evening practice under the lights. In all, USF head coach Jim Leavitt was just happy to get his team on the field after a long off season.

“Our guys just went out and practiced,” said Leavitt. “I’m not going to know a whole lot for about a week or so. They all had their helmets on and their jersey’s on, and if you get that done I think that’s pretty remarkable.” 

Running back Jamar Taylor made his way on the field for the first time after recently transferring from Alabama and has already shown the coaching staff that he can play on either side of the ball.

“We wanted him out of high school because we though he was a very good player,” said Leavitt. “We wanted him as either a running back or a linebacker. We thought he was an awfully good will linebacker too. We’ll look at him at running back right now, first, and see how he does. If we feel real deep and strong at running back, which we don’t right now, we may move him over to will linebacker. But our plan was to bring him in as a running back because we’ve been so thin at running back. To learn our defense after he played running back at Alabama in the spring, the odds are that would not happen unless we were definitely sure that he was not a running back.

Despite the return of senior linebacker Ben Moffitt, the Bulls need to find a way to replace the loss of Stephen Nicholas and Patrick St. Louis. 

“I trust in Brouce (Mompremier) at will,” said Leavitt. “Brouce right now is our starting will, but he’s also our backup middle. So he’ll be the number two middle even though he’s not on the depth chart. Chris Robinson looked real good, (Tyrone) McKenzie, he’s got to help us. Donte Spires, we’ve got to see what he can do. We know Sam Miller has played some already, so we’re happy there.”

USF will hold its annual media day tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Raymond James Stadium. The Bulls will then return to campus for another evening practice from 8-10 p.m.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

A buddy of mine who coached at Lakeland wanted Taylor at LB, but depth had him needed at RB.

Think we'll have to wait until Spring '08 to find out.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived