Washington Post: USF, From Nothing to Something!

Herman_Momart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Great insight for what this programs was, is, and will be.

Glad I got here when I did

• Content Count:  380

brought tears to my eyes. i love the bulls.

• Content Count:  4,016

Jim Leavitt still recalls the night he sat in his car like a protective parent until the wee hours of the morning, watching over -- of all things -- the new fence that surrounded his practice field. The South Florida coach could not bring himself to leave until he was certain the cement adequately dried on the posts that kept the fence upright.

"We haven't reached our goal of winning the Big East the first two years," Leavitt said, "so we have failed."

"From the beginning, I never thought we couldn't one day be a Miami, Florida or a Florida State," Leavitt said. "Do I think we have reached where we can be? No. All we have done in 11 years is laid some cement for the house to be built. But the cement is strong."

This is why we love him. He is a great coach and a great man. There is no doubt in my mind that he has built USF into what it has become. Without him, our school would not be where it is today; not just athletically, but in other areas as well. I dream of the day that I can visit Jim Leavitt Field at USF.

No $hit Sherlock. He has been the only coach, so of course he has built it to what it is. My only fear is him leaving for something bigger.  As of now he says he won't, but wait until the right offer comes along...

ksquire,

Forgive me but you'll have to enlighten me on what is the 'right offer'.   The guy turned down multi-million dollar opportunities that were far more lucrative at Bama, and KSU (where he had a ton of history).  There have been several other inquiries which he never pursued despite interest from the schools including his own alma mater.  

I don't think you're being fair to Leavitt insinuating that he's waiting for some bigger offer?  He's already turned down huge offers, that's not to say he'll never leave, but as many have suggest he probably won't depart until he accomplishes what he set out to do at USF.

• Content Count:  2,726

He's already turned down huge offers, that's not to say he'll never leave, but as many have suggest he probably won't depart until he accomplishes what he set out to do at USF.

Exactly right...as they said, he's crazy.  Which is NOT a bad thing!!!  He is determined to accomplish BIG goals here at USF and there is no way he would even dream of leaving without winning some sort of Championship.  And I don't mean Big East Championship...I'm talkin' NC!!!

I can't wait for the day when I take my kids to USF games at Jim Leavitt Field(on-campus) and say..."you know, I remember when he was coach...etc, etc."

There something special about being apart of history...

...and theres nothing better than being a BULL!!!

• Content Count:  1,254

Jim Leavitt still recalls the night he sat in his car like a protective parent until the wee hours of the morning, watching over -- of all things -- the new fence that surrounded his practice field. The South Florida coach could not bring himself to leave until he was certain the cement adequately dried on the posts that kept the fence upright.

"We haven't reached our goal of winning the Big East the first two years," Leavitt said, "so we have failed."

"From the beginning, I never thought we couldn't one day be a Miami, Florida or a Florida State," Leavitt said. "Do I think we have reached where we can be? No. All we have done in 11 years is laid some cement for the house to be built. But the cement is strong."

This is why we love him. He is a great coach and a great man. There is no doubt in my mind that he has built USF into what it has become. Without him, our school would not be where it is today; not just athletically, but in other areas as well. I dream of the day that I can visit Jim Leavitt Field at USF.

No $hit Sherlock. He has been the only coach, so of course he has built it to what it is. My only fear is him leaving for something bigger.  As of now he says he won't, but wait until the right offer comes along...

ksquire,

Forgive me but you'll have to enlighten me on what is the 'right offer'.  The guy turned down multi-million dollar opportunities that were far more lucrative at Bama, and KSU (where he had a ton of history).  There have been several other inquiries which he never pursued despite interest from the schools including his own alma mater. 

I don't think you're being fair to Leavitt insinuating that he's waiting for some bigger offer?  He's already turned down huge offers, that's not to say he'll never leave, but as many have suggest he probably won't depart until he accomplishes what he set out to do at USF.

I see him being a great defensive coordinator in the NFL one day. I'm not saying he's going to jump ship that soon, but give it a few years and he may leave. I hope he stays forever, don't get me wrong, but after watching college football I have seen and heard many of the "I'm not going anywhere stories" before. 90% of the time the coaches don't follow through.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

After turning down K-State and Alabama, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the right oppportunity for Leavitt would be outside of USF at this point.  There is a chance that at some point something could happen to irritate him, but as he has stated publicly before, there is no better job in football for Jim Leavitt. 

Get us a couple of BE championships and competing for a National Championship someday and there very well may be a Leavitt Field on Campus.

I really don't see Leavitt taking a coordinator job in the NFL when he is running his own show from top to bottom right now.

The only way I see Leavitt leaving is something happens within the administration that completes irritates him.

• Content Count:  1,254

I sure hope you're right...I'd definitely hate to see him go.

• Content Count:  6,773
  • Days Won:  19

My dad has worked there for over 35 years... its nice seeing the hometown paper giving our school some love!

• Content Count:  1,672
  • Days Won:  3

"But the cement is strong." - awesome quote.

• Content Count:  624

Why couldn't Leavitt be our version of a Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden?? I think he will coach at USF until he retires.

Archived