Sporting News: Bulls a Sleeper Waiting to Stir Things Up/Upset Auburn

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

As for the all the please stop these type of articles i say grow a pair!

Do you always want to be the team under the radar who when we win its all over the news because it was a huge upset...sure that was fun in 05 and 06 but i want more!

I want to be the team pt no pot one over looks the one everyteam says we better play our A game or we have pt no pot shot.

If you want to become any elite program don't compare us to northern illinois

Do you think the big 3 had that mentality when they were beoming the big 3...im just glad cjl and the team dont think like some of you!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I want our BULLS entering stadiums having the enemy thinking ... "we gotsta upset these guys, they're the BULLS."

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

As for the all the please stop these type of articles i say grow a pair!

Do you always want to be the team under the radar who when we win its all over the news because it was a huge upset...sure that was fun in 05 and 06 but i want more!

I want to be the team pt no pot one over looks the one everyteam says we better play our A game or we have pt no pot shot.

If you want to become any elite program don't compare us to northern illinois

Do you think the big 3 had that mentality when they were beoming the big 3...im just glad cjl and the team dont think like some of you!

There is being the Big 3 and then being a bandwagon pick.

People AREN'T picking USF over Auburn because they see them on par with FSU, UF, and Miami. They are picking us because they see it as a trendy pick of a team that knocked off a top 10 team late in the year. There is one every year. (Last three seasons: NIU/Fresno ST, Boise, WVU).

And as a Bulls fan, I do nothing but cheer, celebrate and root for our team to win. But I also am realistic. This team is our best ever, we've go tmore talent on the field than we've ever had. However, we're also coming off our most accomplished season ever. However, that season included losses on the road to Kansas and Cincy and a very big scare at UCF.

Auburn now has heard for multiple large print services that the Bulls are a prime suspect to upset Auburn. These same print services said the same thing about Fresno State over Oregon and LSU last year. Said the same thing about Boise State over UGA in 2005. Said the same things about.

This type of press is bulletin board material for these teams. You think the Auburn coaching staff isn't going to be drilling, SI, Sporting News, and ESPN into their players all that week.

I'm all for playing the big boys and I think we can hang with most teams in teh country when we play our game. However, I believe in the theory that it is better to stay in the shadows and sneak up if you have that ability. Of course the Big 3 will never be able to do that, they are three of the most popular teams in the country. USF however, has that ability and these preseason pedicitions mean **** outside of bulliten board material for the opposing team.

We have enough going against us heading into Auburn (night game, ESPN, 2nd week of the season), I'd rather have the press after the win, not in the preseason.

• Content Count:  1,254

NO MORE OF THESE ARTICLES.

We're going to have a ******* target on our team the size of Florida.

Ask Boise State (2005), Northen Illinois *2006)

I agree....Most people on this board are getting to the point that a win at Auburn is extremely likely. For those that our new to USF football we haven't had the best of luck against Mid-tier SEC teams (See USC, Ark, Bama). Auburn is a top tier SEC team that gave the only loss to the national champs last year. Not to mention this will by far be the most intense environment USF has played in.

I second this agreement. We need to realize we are MAJOR underdogs going into this game. Being away on national TV is not quite our forte (other than WVU last year). We keep talking about our team speed, but in case you haven't realized SEC teams are probably the fastest in the nation. Do I think we can win? Hey any given Saturday. But to do it I don't think we can make solitary mistake.

• Content Count:  12,676
  • Days Won:  25

Agree, we are in for the fight of our young lives(speaking of BULLS age of course). Yes, we beat WVU and their team speed, and they beat Georgia and the sec speed, and UF flat ran past OU.

Auburn beat Fla., with their defense, last year. They're reported to be stronger on D this year.

Anybody that thinks we're going up there and just run all over them, it ain't gonna happen.

We cannot practice against anything like what we're going to see up there.

Be honest with yourself. In your heart do you think the BULLS can win? I do.

Do you think we will win? No ifs ands or buts? It's going to be tough.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

... This team is our best ever, we've go tmore talent on the field than we've ever had. However, we're also coming off our most accomplished season ever. However, that season included losses on the road to Kansas and Cincy and a very big scare at UCF.

I'm on the same page Joe, but you refer to mainly the beginning of our season without a scholarship RB.

No doubt that Cincy game was a major disappointment.

But we won 4 outta our last 5 teams we faced. Only loss was to L'ville in The Oven. And those 4 wins were pretty strong.

Our second half was much better and believe it is nothing compared to what we'll see in 2007.

Hopefully this team has matured in the aspect of playing every down for every game.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

Expect that Auburn Game to be a lot like the UMiami game two years ago.  The game will be closer than the score seems...but still no cigar.

• Content Count:  12,293

target or no target, you still have to go out there and play football.

i dont think boise st and nothern ill had poor seasons because of a "target" i just think the media was a little over zealous.

as long as we play like we all think we can, then it doesnt matter what kind of articles are out there.

• Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

If Auburn needs an SI, ESPN, or Sporting News article to get up for this game, they are in trouble. The same goes for us. If we need the "disrespect" of the Pollsters to motivate our team, then we are in for a long season. Let these articles continue to come out, we just need to live up to our potential. Yes, Auburn will be the second fastest defense we have ever faced (Miami in '05 was faster). However, a few bounces of the ball go the other way in Miami early on and who knows what would have happened. The point is that our program has progressed to the point where there is SERIOUS and REALISTIC talk about us going on the road, into a potential top 10, storied SEC program's home, and beating them. We just need to seize the day, errr, night!!!

Bulls 24 Auburn 21

(Alvarado kicks the game winning 41 yard FG with :08 left in regulation)

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Rezz,

I dunno if I can buy the idea that teams liek Boise and Fresno don't fold under the pressure of media hype. It's not all their fault, they just become a walking target and get EVERYONE'S best shot. Including those teams that are much higher on the food chain in football.

Boise State went 11-1 in 2004, their only loss? Louisville by 3 in a GREAT Liberty Bowl. What did it earn them? A top 20 ranking and everyone's pick to upset UGA at UGA to open 2005. What happened, they were destroyed by UGA, and went on to lose three more. That same team went 13-0 this past season.

In 2004 and 2005 Fresno St. went 9-3 and 8-5, while they weren't unbelievable records per se, they did manage to beat quite a few BCS teams and in 2005 was beating USC until the last few minutes of the game. Last year they were returning the majority of their starters, and were predicted by many to be a top 25-30 team. Further, many picked Fresno upsets of Oregon and LSU (the LSU pick was personally delivered by Kirk Herbstriet amongst others) What happened? They were 4-8, losing season.

There is a major difference in football when you have a spotlight, there is a lot more pressure. Not saying our guys couldn't handle it, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt to not have it. Especially when there are a few areas this team could improve on.

I don't moind our fans picking the upset, etc. I do mind that every media outlet is throwing our name around to beat Auburn just so that they can have an upset on their sheet.

Archived