Member (LargoBull)'s son pictured with CJL in Capogna's Story

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

topclearwater_citizen.gif

080207_cit-01.jpg

USF football Coach Jim Leavitt greets Largo resident Joey Williams at a University of South Florida Bulls “Preseason Tailgate” party at Capogna’s Dugout.

Football coach holds bull session

USF football coach Jim Leavitt meets Bulls fans at Capogna’s Dugout

By LEE DIEKEMPER

Article published on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2007

CLEARWATER – Tropical depressions are forming in the tropics, the Devil Rays are losing large chunks of games before a largely empty domed stadium and the Fourth of July has come and gone.

Those three elements suggest football season is almost here.

Sunday, it seemed as if football season were here.

Some fans couldn’t wait for the upcoming football season, where life in Florida seems to stop each weekend as fans either travel to games or pack sports bars watching their beloved Buccaneers, Gators, Seminoles or Hurricanes.

In recent years a new team has muscled its way into the consciousness of fans in the area: The University of South Florida.

This was evidenced by the throng of people, some 250-strong, which packed Capogna’s Dugout, an Italian restaurant in Clearwater on July 29 so much that one could barely move much less get to the restroom.

The occasion was a Bulls “Preseason Tailgate” party, to help kick off the new season, albeit a month ahead of time. But it gave local USF fans a reason to gather and ignore the Devil Rays.

The main attraction was USF Coach Jim Leavitt. The only football coach the school has known, Leavitt had a reason to show up at Capogna’s.

One reason for the location was that Nick Capogna, son of eatery manager Al Capogna, is the starting center for the Bulls. Al Capogna too was once a college football player. He likes to joke he “practiced” for Florida State. Capogna, who has his jersey retired by both Clearwater High School and Clearwater Central Catholic (yes, he played for both), was part of Bobby Bowden’s first recruiting class at Tallahassee.

“He reminds me so much of Coach Bowden,” Capogna said of Leavitt. “The desire and the integrity … Both are great men, both are very passionate about what they are doing.”

On his establishment being so packed, Capogna joked, “Everybody likes to back a winner.”

“Everyday we try to build tradition and this helps,” Nick Capogna said of the party. “I’m just here for the food.”

Capogna’s has become a favorite hangout for Bulls fans, partially because of Nick Capogna. The longtime popular eatery and watering hole always has road games piped in via satellite and regularly gets 150 people each week, solely to watch Bulls games.

There is good reason for Bulls fans to be excited. The team just won its second bowl game last year and is a darkhorse choice to win the Big East and play in a prestigious BCS game.

Leavitt knew how to work the crowd. Upon greeting the crowd and thanking the Capogna family he asked, “Where’s the big guy?”

The crowd began to shout for Al Capogna to step forward. Leavitt, paused, then broke out into a broad smile and barked, “No, I’m talking about Nick!”

The crowd applauded loudly. Later, Leavitt spoke about West Virginia quarterback Pat White being “the second best quarterback in the nation – behind Matt Grothe!” The crowd roared its approval.

Grothe is a starting quarterback for USF and is one reason Bulls fans highly anticipate the upcoming season.

After speaking to the fans and fielding questions, Leavitt signed autographs and posed for pictures with fans for over two hours.

Scott Walin of Clearwater was among the Bulls faithful enjoying the event.

“My father graduated from USF in the ’60s. I didn’t go there, but every time (Bulls fans) get together for something like this it is electric,” Walin said. “I talked to Jim Leavitt at an airport once and he was fantastic. I just love the program they are building. Who would have known he could build the program to this magnitude? To come here for an event like this is fantastic.”

Leavitt even refused to acknowledge Central Florida by name referring to the school as “Those guys down the road.”

On the Bulls offense: “Our offense starts with the big guy in the middle, Nick Capogna.”

After the roar subsided, Leavitt said: “We think he will be the best center in the league.”

On Raymond James Stadium: “We will fill the stadium someday. I have no doubt about that.”

Leavitt spent some time fielding questions and signed autographs and posed for photos for nearly two hours.

Article published on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2007

Copyright © Tampa Bay Newspapers: All rights reserved.

Link

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

That's awesome, only time I was pictured in the paper was the back of my head in a pancake line at a fundraiser here in Lakeland.

Archived