Countdown to Football: Player #31

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

In the "100 days to Bulls Football" countdown, TheBullsPen.com is hosting discussion on players wearing the numbers 99 to 1.         

We're approximately 31 days until kickoff of the 2007 season.     

The number 31 was and/or is worn by the following Bulls:         

Jay Mize.........................1997-2000

Courtney Davenport........2001-2003

Please post your comments, thoughts and reflections on these Bulls and help countdown the days until kickoff vs. Elon in Raymond James Stadium on September 1, 2007

Enjoy'd both of these guys !

Remember how excited I was about Davenport at RB, but ended up shining at LB.

Love this feature.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Jay Mize is still around Tampa.  He owns a successful mortgage company in New Tampa.  i run into him quite often.  I don't really remember him as a football player at usf for some reason.  I have always been a bigger bball fan, especially back then.  Go Bulls. 

Mize was a very good player for us, Safety.

He also is a great donor for USF.

A Great BULL !!!

• Content Count:  1,479

Mize's career was cut short to a if I remember right, a serious neck injury. He was good, I remember watching him. I've also heard the commercials for his company on the radio during games.

I see he played four years, maybe I'm wrong about the injury.

His SR year was cut short ... the hit was on the 10 Year DVD. Remember after the hit his arm was just limp from the stinger. Seems it was earlier in the year.

• Content Count:  1,433

Jay was awesome on special teams...always seemed to be the first one down the field on punt coverage.

I've had an opportunity to work professionally with Jay and have really enjoyed him as a person.  He and his partner build a great product primarily in the south Tampa area.  Check out their stuff....sorry Jay if you're reading this!  And if you are, hope you are doing well. 

www.mizeandsefair.com

• Content Count:  330

I found this in the paper archives;

By Times staff

© St. Petersburg Times, published August 25, 2000

THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULE YET: Okay, so you've heard it a million times, but it bears repeating. This is an odd season for the Bulls -- a transition year between Division I and I-AA. To celebrate, South Florida has lined up five Division I teams. The Bulls will meet all of their Division I opponents -- Kentucky, Baylor, Southern Mississippi, Connecticut and Middle Tennessee State -- away from the friendly confines of Raymond James Stadium. A good measuring stick for future seasons? That's what Jim Leavitt hopes to find out.

A FOND FAREWELL: This is the final season for 14 of the 70 members of the inaugural recruiting class. They began from ground zero five years ago and are leading the way into Division I competition. They are: Charlie Jackson, Roy Manns, Anthony Henry, Rafael Williams, Vassay Marc, Joey Sipp, Ryan Benjamin, Otis Dixon, Edwin Greene, Steve Hatley, Shawn Hay, Jay Mize, Cory Porter and Marshall Smith. Jackson, Manns, Henry, Williams, Marc and Sipp are this year's team captains.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/082500/Sports/USF__What_s_new.shtml

This is great stuff, sure it's only been 10 years, but it's still USF football history.  Just think in 20+ years my kid's kid's will be reading this. Well maybe not all, BiggTipps for sure.  :gobulls

Archived