Preseason Bowl Predictions (Rivals)

Zonald

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

now, let's not all get cocky, because if we do and start to overlook some things then that's what we will get! f*ck canada!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Canada is awesome, but not in January.

I'd take Birmingham, Charlotte, or Texas in a heartbeat.  Had a great time at the last two bowls.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Three words that should never be strung together...

"Preseason Bowl Predictions"

:nope

Ridiculous.

• Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

Toronoto?  I'm in...wherever, whenever...I'll be there.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Three words that should never be strung together...

"Preseason Bowl Predictions"

:nope

Ridiculous.

Agreed!

The guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about...

"The Gator Bowl is under contract to take a Big 12 team instead of a Big East school or Notre Dame two of the next three seasons."

I believe, and I think I'll contact the Gator Bowl committee myself on this, that they have the OPTION of taking a Big 12 team, not the REQUIREMENT to take a Big 12 team.

Here is the authors email if you want to stampede: smegargee@rivals.com

Jim,

The Gator Bowl has to take a Big 12 team 1 year and can up to two over 4 years.

I emailed the Gator Bowl Committee on this... but they have not yet replied.  Do you have some confirmation on this?  Everything I had read says they can take a team up to 2 times in for years.  It seems to me that zero times fits that requirement.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/07/14/bc.fbc.lgns.bowlpartnership.r/index.html

This SI article says they have to take a Big 12 team twice over four years:

Under the deal, each conference will have two bids each to the Gator Bowl and the Sun Bowl over the next four years, Catlett said.

That means the Gator Bowl could invite two straight Big East teams for the first two years of the deal, but they will then be forced to take Big 12 teams the next two years. The Sun Bowl takes whichever conference is not invited to the Gator Bowl.

Notre Dame, an independent in football, would remain a part of the eight-team Big East's bowl pool and could not trump a Big 12 selection in either bowl, Big East spokesman John Paquette said.

http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/bowl-affiliates.html

However the arrangement with the Gator Bowl is for it to select a Big 12 team twice over a four-year period. In the two years in which the Gator does not select a Big 12 team, the Sun Bowl will.

These seem to suggest they have to take a Big 12 team twice. Interesting. I was under the impression it was once, with an option to take a 2nd team.

If true it really really limits USF's chances of seeing the Gator Bowl in the next three years.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This is from the Gator Bowl site, I'm assuming this is information pertaining to 2008, 2009, and 2010

ACC will anchor the Gator Bowl game and will have a representative in each game for the next 3 years. Their opponents will be comprised of two Big 12 teams and a Big East team or Notre Dame filling the Big East slot, if they are available.

http://www.gatorbowl.com/tgb/

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Agreed - Charlotte was awesome for the MCC.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Joe, when do they renogotiate bowl deals for the next go around.  I hope they have already started that process, and will stand firm and improve the bowls rather than having these shared type deals.  The BE can stand on it's own now (well, with ND, of course).  But no reason to tie our bowls in with the B12, CDOA, and MAC.  I would hope they make a deal like the following:

1) BCS

2) Gator (stop sharing it with B12), or take another New Years Day bowl.  We should be able to negotiate this with improved BE + ND.

3) Meineke

4) Houston (stop sharing it with CDOA, no reason to any more)

5) St Pete Bowl

6) B'ham

7) Back up for the Int'l bowl if a conf can't fill slots.

Archived