Bulls to Get Their Wish-Miami

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Seems we might be replacing our series with UCF with UM.  I would much rather have us step up and play the big dogs. 

ps. UCF fans i am not from Florida or give one crap about ucf and the poo flinging you have with certain usf fans.  I would be justt as proud if we were replacing, lets say, a team like UAB with Miami. 

this is a win/win for usf. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[glow=yellow,2,300]Seems we might be replacing our series with UCF with UM.[/glow] 

This is not a personal attack on Herm... and I can see how this will come off as a bit (well, okay, a lot) harsh...

PLEASE PEOPLE stop using the word "replace" when it comes to UCF and UM.  It is quite simply incorrect.

We could say we are replacing our series with North Carolina with Miami... Or we could say we are replacing our series with Kansas with Miami...  They would be just as accurate as saying Miami is replacing UCF on our schedule.

DW and CJL do not have a "Florida" series as part of their scheduling formula.  Yes, they want to play Florida teams (UCF, FAU, FIU)... and so they will include those schools on their list when they plan for the future... "Hey, we should call UCF about a game in 2014, it's been a while..."

But the scheduling formula that has been described in the papers (Greg Auman can back me up on this) is:

7 Big East games as set by the Big East conference

1 OOC game against a I-AA team at home

1 OOC game against a BCS team at home

1 OOC game against a BCS team away

2 OOC games against a non-BCS team either both at home or one home and one away*

* NOTE: The non-BCS games depend on how many home Big East games we have or if we can get seven home games. 

Since we have Miami as one of the BCS games for five years, Florida for a BCS game for two years, and Florida State won't play us... it's possible to see USF playing FAU, FIU, and UCF on a rotating basis going forward as part of the non-BCS slate.

The formula has some kinks in 2008 and 2010 - years where there are 4 big east home games.

[table]

[tr][td]Game[/td][td]2007[/td][td]2008[/td][td]2009[/td][td]2010[/td][td]2011[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 I-AA home game[/td][td]Elon[/td][td]TN-Martin[/td][td]Wofford[/td][td]Samford[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 BCS home game[/td][td]UNC[/td][td]Kansas[/td][td]Miami[/td][td]@ Florida[/td][td]Miami[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 BCS away game[/td][td]@ Auburn[/td][td]@ NC State[/td][td]@ Indiana[/td][td]@ Miami[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 non-BCS home/away game[/td][td]UCF[/td][td]@UCF[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 non-BCS home/away game[/td][td]@ FAU[/td][td]@FIU[/td][td]FIU[/td][td]FAU[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Hence Miami games DO NOT "replace" UCF on the schedule -- in fact, as of now, no one has replaced UCF on the schedule.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

Published Monday, July 30, 2007

COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACHES GATHER

Bulls to Get Their Wish-Miami

By **** Scanlon

The Ledger

TAMPA - Getting a six-game series against Miami is another major step for South Florida's 12-year-old football program, according to coach Jim Leavitt. But one more big step has to be taken before any talk of Florida's "Big Four" will be taken seriously.

"You've got to beat 'em," Leavitt said Sunday at the Florida Sports Writers Association's annual gathering of state coaches. "A lot of people have already played Florida, Florida State and Miami in the last 20 years and got their butts beat."

The first of the six USF-Miami games, a 27-7 Hurricane victory, was played in 2005. They will play in five straight seasons beginning in 2009, and three of those five will be in Tampa.

Getting a home-and-home series against one of the state's traditional powers was important to Leavitt and he knew it would never happen against Florida or FSU.

In some ways, the Bulls have reached Miami's level, having joined a BCS conference, having played in two straight bowl games and now being ranked in some pre-season top 25 polls. But in terms of national recognition, there is no comparison. Nor should there be, Leavitt said. And simply playing Miami won't be enough to change that equation.

"Now, if we beat 'em, if that ever happens, then maybe we will give them something to think about," he said. "But let's be honest, you've got to beat people. Those three programs deserve (a higher status)."

USF's scheduling was much more cautious in its first decade of football than Florida Atlantic.

Now preparing for their seventh season under coach Howard Schnellenberger, the Owls have taken on several traditional powers in the last two seasons, but have yet to beat any. Schnellenberger calls it an advanced training schedule, acknowledging that "certainly in many of those games we'll be decided underdogs."

This year's non-conference schedule includes "A" teams Oklahoma State, Minnesota, Kentucky, USF and Florida.

"An A team," explained Schnellenberger, "is a team that's perenially better than we are. Right now all those teams are perenially better."

The Gators were a late addition. Schnellenberger said it was impossible to resist a chance to take on the defending national champions.

Next year's FAU schedule includes only three "A'' teams, and then it will be cut down to two. Schnellenberger is convinced the higher level of competition better prepares the Owls for play in the Sun Belt Conference, which includes no "A" teams.

"It's more important for us to win the conference now," he said.

"We're old enough, big enough and strong enough. If we can win one of those (non-conference) games, it will be a major step for us."

leavitt is accurate but unfortunately

usf will never get talent to beat miami with schedules usf has

top talent will not come here to play 1aa teams and bad 1a teams.they simply wont come

usf needs a more challenging schedule to get the kind of talent to beat the miamis and auburns

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Thats funny considering UF always plays a IAA team and a bad IA team every year, and i belive played a couple of IAA teams last season, plus a bad IA team, and they won the title.

• Content Count:  1,803

I would say a majority of teams play a 1AA.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Seems we might be replacing our series with UCF with UM.[/glow] 

This is not a personal attack on Herm... and I can see how this will come off as a bit (well, okay, a lot) harsh...

PLEASE PEOPLE stop using the word "replace" when it comes to UCF and UM.  It is quite simply incorrect.

We could say we are replacing our series with North Carolina with Miami... Or we could say we are replacing our series with Kansas with Miami...  They would be just as accurate as saying Miami is replacing UCF on our schedule.

DW and CJL do not have a "Florida" series as part of their scheduling formula.  Yes, they want to play Florida teams (UCF, FAU, FIU)... and so they will include those schools on their list when they plan for the future... "Hey, we should call UCF about a game in 2014, it's been a while..."

But the scheduling formula that has been described in the papers (Greg Auman can back me up on this) is:

7 Big East games as set by the Big East conference

1 OOC game against a I-AA team at home

1 OOC game against a BCS team at home

1 OOC game against a BCS team away

2 OOC games against a non-BCS team either both at home or one home and one away*

* NOTE: The non-BCS games depend on how many home Big East games we have or if we can get seven home games. 

Since we have Miami as one of the BCS games for five years, Florida for a BCS game for two years, and Florida State won't play us... it's possible to see USF playing FAU, FIU, and UCF on a rotating basis going forward as part of the non-BCS slate.

The formula has some kinks in 2008 and 2010 - years where there are 4 big east home games.

[table]

[tr][td]Game[/td][td]2007[/td][td]2008[/td][td]2009[/td][td]2010[/td][td]2011[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 I-AA home game[/td][td]Elon[/td][td]TN-Martin[/td][td]Wofford[/td][td]Samford[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 BCS home game[/td][td]UNC[/td][td]Kansas[/td][td]Miami[/td][td]@ Florida[/td][td]Miami[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 BCS away game[/td][td]@ Auburn[/td][td]@ NC State[/td][td]@ Indiana[/td][td]@ Miami[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 non-BCS home/away game[/td][td]UCF[/td][td]@UCF[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 non-BCS home/away game[/td][td]@ FAU[/td][td]@FIU[/td][td]FIU[/td][td]FAU[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Hence Miami games DO NOT "replace" UCF on the schedule -- in fact, as of now, no one has replaced UCF on the schedule.

Greg Auman commented on his blog post... in response to good ol' Cee:

Cee, here's where both sides are consistently wrong. USF isn't replacing UCF with a I-AA game, as the critics say, and USF isn't replacing UCF with Miami, as some say. They're replacing UCF with another non-BCS opponent, one with likely no geographic or rivalry significance, but with less risk of damage from a loss. Don't exaggerate the financial implications of losing UCF: let's say that game draws 10,000 more fans than its replacement. You're talking about a loss of $200,000 in revenue for USF every two years. Good money, sure, but that's a third of 1 percent of USF's annual athletic budget.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I saw that and thought it was an excellent response.  So the UCF games aren't quite the windfall that everyone makes them out to be.

I saw that and thought it was an excellent response.  So the UCF games aren't quite the windfall that everyone makes them out to be.

In an overall budget of $32 million, $200,000 - $300,000 isn't going to mean a heck of a lot... however, you're talking about the salaries of three or four of the assistant coaches that can be made up in that one game... (which otherwise has to come out of the lower revenue amount).

Plus, and this is hard to determine, does having UCF on the schedule sell more season tickets?  If 1,000 more season tickets are sold because UCF is on the schedule, that's $120,000 for the year (or more)... (of course if only 10 more season tickets are sold, it's only $1,200 more!)

However, I recognize what that extra 1/4 million could potentially cost in terms of recruiting in state... looking at it from that angle, it's not worth it.

• Content Count:  518

Okay, so we lose about $200K in ticket sales without UCF.  How does that compare to scheduling say an FAU who will give us a 2-1 instead of a 1-1?  I'm sure two home games means more money that one UCF home game.  Just a thought.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

In an overall budget of $32 million, $200,000 - $300,000 isn't going to mean a heck of a lot... however, you're talking about the salaries of three or four of the assistant coaches that can be made up in that one game... (which otherwise has to come out of the lower revenue amount).

Our asst coaches only make $25k- $35K a year? I knew they were low but ....

Plus, and this is hard to determine, does having UCF on the schedule sell more season tickets?  If 1,000 more season tickets are sold because UCF is on the schedule, that's $120,000 for the year (or more)... (of course if only 10 more season tickets are sold, it's only $1,200 more year!)

1000 season tix because of that game?? I think even your 10 season tickets sold is way too high ....  ;)

Archived