Carlton Hill to play at free safety

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Carlton Hill to play at free safety

We've mentioned the possibility of it here a while back, but now it's official: Carlton Hill, back at USF after a season of junior college football, will play free safety for the Bulls this fall.

For months, coach Jim Leavitt has said two things about Hill: that he'd probably be back at quarterback, and that he'd take advantage of his redshirt season and not play this fall. But defensive coordinator Wally Burnham had talked to Hill about playing defense, and he said Friday that's where he'll line up this fall, saying the plan is for him not to redshirt.

"I'm excited about being a part of this defense," Hill said. "I know how dominating they've always been, and this was my decision. We have a very competitive group of defensive backs."

Hill, who has played receiver and quarterback, both at USF and last fall at Pearl River Community College, said he last played free safety with any regularity as a senior at Jefferson County High in Monticello. He has good size at 6-3, 220 pounds, and has certainly shown his athleticism.

Leavitt, talking on J.P. Peterson's afternoon radio show Friday on 1470 AM, said Hill's move to safety was made possible by his comfort level with his depth at quarterback, with Grant Gregory and Anthony Severino backing up sophomore Matt Grothe.

"It's good enough for us to take Carlton Hill, who went in and played quarterback a few times two years ago and showed he has a lot of athletic talent, we were able to move him to free safety," Leavitt said on 1470.

If you're counting, Hill is the third former quarterback now in USF's defensive secondary, with Louis Gachette and Nate Allen. That doesn't count Gregory and Courtney Denson, who dabbled as defensive backs before moving back to offense.

-- For those of you clamoring for USF's official site to publicize the current season ticket special -- two adult and two children's season tickets for $300 -- it's up as a splash ad when you visit the site now. And who better to advertise such a special than senior linebacker Ben Moffitt, who has two young children with his wife Shauna.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  1,260

I'm not a big CHill fan after he went out and messed up his own career....he has the speed and athleticism to become a very good safety IF he can get on the field. We have some good players already there afterall.

Should anything happen to the "franchise"...something tells me that Gregory and Severino aren't quite as entrenched as it may sound, especially if it's toward the beginning of the season. Wouldn't be surprised if all options were on the table if such a calamity were to occur...including C4 back at QB.

• Content Count:  3,103

i think having a qb on the defense, as they know what to look for when reading the qb

• Content Count:  339

I think it's great to put him at safety where we can always use another big/fast/athletic guy.  But I also don't think the switch from offense to defense is that easy.  This is a guy that's been wearing a RED jersey to practice for the last 2 seasons.  Which means he hasn't been getting hit or hitting anybody else since high school.  I'd be more excited if they said they were going to RS him this year to work on the defense and get back into "hitting form" before they brought him in in 08 to play safety as a RS JR.  there's no real depth issues with allen, carlton williams, gachette, Murphy, and tyler roberts all very capable of stepping in at safety this season (all have experience as well).  Not to mention cha cha sinclair and Alton Voss could also step in if something disasterous happened injury-wise.

• Content Count:  1,911

I think carlton is the type of athlete you can put him anywhere.  I expect a surprisingly huge year out of him.  can't wait to see him on the field. 

• Content Count:  4,016

Get the feeling this could be another Courtney Denson.

We could have a good year from Courtney.  He looked exceptional at WR in the spring game.  Showed hands, wheels, and some shiftiness.  Carlton's got to get on the field somewhere.  He's to good an athlete to have sitting on the bench for the next two years behind Grothe and Gregory.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Get the feeling this could be another Courtney Denson.

Why not another Louis Gachette?

• Content Count:  1,457

Carton is a very good athlete.  He is well rounded and can play many positions: QB, FS, Special Teams, and WR.  In a pinch, if the unthinkable should happen, Gregory may compete with Hill for QB too.

• Content Count:  387

CHill is a superb athlete and with the loss of Verpaele we need the depth there.

He's got the knowledge and certainly has the speed. The question will be can he hit.

I'm guessing he can and with that the making of an outstanding safety. He has more potential of making it to the next level as FS than he ever had as a QB.

I'm seeing interceptions and runbacks.

Archived