Bogan ready for first year at South Florida (no redshirt?)

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

header.jpg

Bogan ready for first year at South Florida

By Clint Thompson

THOMASVILLE — At least one Bull is ready to charge into the upcoming college football season.

Already enrolled in summer classes at the University of South Florida, former Thomas County Central wide receiver Dontavia Bogan has been participating in summer workouts with the Bulls. It’s been an adjustment period for the former all-area and all-region performer.

“Basically, the workouts and everything, it’s a whole different level from high school,” Bogan said, adding that he’s been participating in 7-on-7 drills in the evenings. “I’m waking up at 5 in the morning, working out and conditioning.

“It’s much different than high school but I’m going to be ready for it.”

Bogan said the team has been working him at wide receiver, a position he starred at during his senior year with the Yellow Jackets. Bogan snagged 28 receptions for 475 yards and three touchdowns last season.

“The quarterback says I’m looking good out there, so I’ll just keep working hard and everything,” Bogan said.

If Bogan does see playing time this year, he’ll be playing with one of the top quarterbacks in the country in Matt Grothe. Grothe was one of 65 players to be named to the Maxwell Award Watch List. It is given to college football’s most outstanding player.

According to Bogan, the Bulls coaching staff would like to utilize his receiving skills this upcoming season.

“They said that I’ve got a good work ethic and everything, so they don’t want me to redshirt,” Bogan said. “But two-a-days is coming up next week.

“In high school it’s usually like a week, but in college it’s like three weeks long. I’m going to see how I progress in the lineup during two-a-days and everything. If I work hard, I see myself getting in and I’ll be able to play in the fall.”

As for the team’s play this year, the Bulls were picked to finish fourth in the Big East. Bogan has other ideas, however.

“I’d like to see the team win the Big East,” Bogan said. We’re looking good going in. Everybody’s got a positive attitude.”

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

One thing that's rang out about this last class that you can gleen from interviews and what the staff and coaches have said and that is not only are they talented but good character kids with good work ethic.  Take Bogans, almost the entire class has been working out since late June and taking classes.  I expect they will continue to build this program to new heights.

• Content Count:  563

cjl seemed real excited about this kid.

• Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

I like that CJL has options now, and I read an article by Greg Auman talking about the lack of positions for walk-ons all of this makes me excited that we have options on the sideline this year.  The past 10 years has taught CJL how to make do with a lot less and now he has a lot more.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

One thing that's rang out about this last class that you can gleen from interviews and what the staff and coaches have said and that is not only are they talented but good character kids with good work ethic.  Take Bogans, almost the entire class has been working out since late June and taking classes.   I expect they will continue to build this program to new heights.

I thought we ran a renegade program and only took on players with bad morals and poor work ethics. At least that's what I'm told. I'm so confused now.

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Gotta love the work ethic and thinking about these guys out at 5am working out and getting better...awesome stuff.

• Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

Another sign of our growth as a program, as well as in the athletes who want to be a part of it.  We're now in the position to not only select from the better athletes, but also those whose work ethic will mean a person who be more of a sure bet to improve throughout his career here. 

Where our coaches have done very well in honing 'projects' into valuable members of the team, I'd think that their efforts would be more productive with those who don't need as much 'inspiration' to perform well.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,289
  • Days Won:  29

I really like our depth at WR ... if he makes it this year would only mean that he's very good.

Can't wait for Elon.

Go BULLS !!!

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  3,827

What is more impressive is that true freshman are starting to jump ahead of upperclassmen on the depth chart. Although we have lots of WRs, we really dont have a "go to" guy. Hopefully, one will step up this year.

• Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

What is more impressive is that true freshman are starting to jump ahead of upperclassmen on the depth chart. Although we have lots of WRs, we really dont have a "go to" guy. Hopefully, one will step up this year.

the big successful programs have true freshamn take jobs all the time

this happens when you keep upgrading your talent

Archived