Auburn

Rizman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,676
  • Days Won:  25

If you want to see our offense in action, go to Jordan-Hare on Septemebe 8, 2007.

I think we run something called the winged-T.

GO BULLS!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

As far as our offense goes, it is hard to say exactly what we are going to run. We finally have a new OC, so I am not sure what changes, if any, are forthcoming. We run a spread option with a lot of 4 WR sets. With our mobile, playmaking, all-world QB Matt Grothe at the helm, it really gives us a lot of options. He is dangerous when the pocket collapses and he rolls out. He can tuck the ball and run for a 15 yard gain or throw it down field with deadly accuracy. Grothe has jene se qua (sp?) that you only see in truly special players. I think this game is going to come down to field position and turnovers. You guys wouldn't happen to also have a place kicker who does a rugby style punt for a net of 30 yards, would you?

Haha wild i looked up grothe on youtube looks relly quick!

• Content Count:  1,779

History and speculation dictates that USF has a shot at beating Auburn.  The time between 2003 and 2005 marked the post the Marquel Blackwell (MB) era and the beginning of the Matt Grothe (MG) era. During that time USF's record was 17-17 with their first ever appearance in a bowl game. I like to call that period the Dark Era. A time in history where changes are made and new ideas are formed that give way to a period of growth and optimism.  End that Dark Era with a bowl game was just a glimmer of hope.

History

Quarterback

Taking the 2001 and 2002 years during MB's era USF had a record of 17 - 5 (8-3 in 2001 and 9-2 2002) all loses on the road to Northern Illinois, Utah and Memphis in 2001; OU and Arkansas in 2002. (Note:USF should have gone to a bowl game with a 9-2 record only losing to Arkansas and Oklahoma in back to back games). During MG first season of 2006 USF had a record of 9-4 with loses to Cincy, Rutgers, Lousiville, and Kansas all on the road except Rutgers.  Looking at this information makes me conclude that the USF spread offense works best with a QB that can pass and run well.  During the time period of 2003 and 2005 USF lacked an effective passing game and in 2004 the defense and the offense were not that good hence the 17 - 17 reocrd.

Speculation

During the Dark Era, the days after the Blackwell Era and prior to the Grothe Era a couple of things happened to the USF Football program:

1. Better Recruiting

(Due to entrance into CUSA then the Big East and an excellent coaching staff)

2. More Depth at all positions

(If anyone watched when USF played Arkansas and OU depth clearily was factor. USF played OU well on defense that day but depth was an issue. I have to give a lot of credit that day to Kawika Mitchell, (Go Giants!), he along with the rest of the USF defenese shut down one of the best backs in the country at the time, Quentin Griffin.)

3. Coaches are more knowledgable in terms of game knowledge and game preparation. 

(I believe at the Arkansas game the players were not properly hydrated. They exerteted themselves too much they were too hyped for the game.  Look at the difference between we final Arkansas score and Oklahoma score 42-3 then 31-14. What happened between that 2 week stretch? What knowledge did Leavitt obtain?  Also consider the level of knowledge in the USF staff the return of Mike Canales and the addition of form ISU head coach Dan McCarney. What knowledge will be brought to the table?)

4. Momentum and Confidence. (Unlike that days when USF would play BCS level schools and "Hope to Win!". Now the attitude is "Know to Win!")

Why is the Auburn game so big?

Because it will mark the next step of the new era for USF Football. Auburn a team highly regarded in a conference so revered is a perfect measuring stick to see how far USF Football has come and note USF Season is not measured on one game alone it is measure on the entire season.

Why do I think USF will win?

Becasue I'am a BULLiever!!! So to all those USF Fans/Alumni who think USF may just win or squeek by with a win, remember positive thought lead to positive words and result in positive actions.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Why do I think USF will win?

Becasue I'am a BULLiever!!! So to all those USF Fans/Alumni who think USF may just win or squeek by with a win, remember positive thought lead to positive words and result in positive actions.

:clap :clap :cry2 :clap :clap :gobulls

• Content Count:  119

Hey, 316, thanks for stopping by!

I think you have to take what a lot of people are saying here with a grain of salt.  Most of us see the world through green and gold goggles, which isn't a bad thing.  Actually, it's pretty dang exciting given the meteoric rise of our program over the last decade.

Do I think we'll romp AU?  Heck no.  Do I think we can win?  Of course... I actually think that what makes you dangerous is what makes us dangerous... Speed, and lots of it.  It's a question of depth... will our backup horses be able to hang on if called upon?  We know AU has depth in spades, and we need to be able to counter that somehow.

I'm (of course) predicting a USF win, but in a nailbiter... 4 pts or less, and due to one or two big plays that help us out at just the right time.

Either way, it'll be a good one!

Matt

Yea it should be within a touchdown to whoever wins but Ive noticed last year Auburn tends to give up big plays on defense which should be the weakness that I think South Florida could possibly to take in advantage of.  I have not seen very many Bulls games but hows the offense..hopefully Im not taking offense to anyone by asking....like what formations and offense do yall run and defense.  Auburns type of offense wont change much (just hopefully better lol) and the defense is still mainly 4-3 but I think our defense coordinator Will Muschamp will be using some 3-4 also.  I will be rooting for yall the rest of the games this season and hopefully yall will win the Big East!

You want to know what type of offense we run? I think you should be more concerned with our DEFENSE! Please, just watch us BEAT WVU last year in Morgantown and that is all you need to know about our DEFENSE!

As far as our offense goes, it is hard to say exactly what we are going to run. We finally have a new OC, so I am not sure what changes, if any, are forthcoming. We run a spread option with a lot of 4 WR sets. With our mobile, playmaking, all-world QB Matt Grothe at the helm, it really gives us a lot of options. He is dangerous when the pocket collapses and he rolls out. He can tuck the ball and run for a 15 yard gain or throw it down field with deadly accuracy. Grothe has [glow=yellow,2,300]jene se qua (sp?)[/glow] that you only see in truly special players. I think this game is going to come down to field position and turnovers. You guys wouldn't happen to also have a place kicker who does a rugby style punt for a net of 30 yards, would you?

Let me help you here... it's French... je ne sais quoi (literally "I not know what")...

NOUN: A quality or attribute that is difficult to describe or express.

And yes, Grothe certainly has it.

• Content Count:  12,293

a lot of the preseason previews when they talk about team strengths, the writers usually use fellow conference schools to make the compairisons.  so while a lot of the media will say that auburn's offense is weak, it really just means its not as good as their defense and probably not going to be a top 5 SEC offense.

like others have said, their ground game will still probably be one of the best we face.  it scares me more then rutgers with rice and wva with everything they have.  because auburn's running game is more of a power game, not a speed game.  we can eliminate ANY team's speed.  but strength of our front 4 will be put to the test. 

Archived