In the trenches: Breakouts, busts and coach brooms

ChiTownBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10258339

Quick, try to name the teams in the Atlantic Division. First, you most likely have to figure out what conference the Atlantic Division is in. After a quick reference trip to the preseason magazines you've narrowed down my surprise team of the year to the ACC. Still stumped? Let's make it easy for you. We're talking about Cullen Harper Jr.'s team. Who is Cullen Harper Jr.? Good question. Some of his Clemson teammates might feel compelled to introduce themselves to the Tigers' junior quarterback who fired all of 20 passes last season. If the Tigers don't exactly know their quarterback, how can the rest of the ACC or the country? Exactly. There's something about Clemson that won't let me go. Start with the fact that maybe it doesn't matter who Cullen Harper Jr. is in the wide-open Atlantic Division. When falling-fast Florida State is still considered a factor in this division, you know things are fluid. That's why I'm figuring this is finally Tommy Bowden's year. His stock fluctuates from year to year and it's no secret he has been close to the first open chair in The Big Haircut barbershop. But say this about the Bowden clan, they are stubborn. Jeff hung on way past his, uh, prime at FSU. Bobby is admittedly going to coach until he kicks (we're not talking about another wide right, either). Tommy? He enters his ninth season at Clemson smarting again, having lost four of his final five in '06. But we choose to focus on the positives: The best set of tailbacks in the country -- junior James Davis and sophomore C.J. Spiller -- will carry the offense. There's no Gaines Adams on defense but it is balanced. The coordinators (Rob Spence and Vic Koennig) are young and creative. Oh, and the schedule is somewhat friendly with Florida State, Virginia Tech, Wake and Boston College at home. It's the Atlantic Division. We're not talking about the SEC East here. However, the program is run like it is in the SEC. Demands are high, Death Valley is packed. There's a national championship to live up to. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Tigers would settle for being the best team in the division, if not the state. Others to consider: Arizona State, BYU, Fresno State, Illinois, Kentucky, South Florida, Texas A&M, UCLA. 

^^^^  " What team or player do you think will be the biggest surprise?"

You should include the question, as the post makes more sense when you see the question.

Archived