Pulley and Jones Qualify For USGA Women’s Am

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

Pulley and Jones Qualify For USGA Women’s Am

TAMPA, Fla. (July 11, 2007) – Two University of South Florida golfers, seniors Kylene Pulley and Christina Jones, will both play in the United States Golf Association Women’s Amateur this fall after qualifying for the event this week in their respective home states. 

The USGA Women’s Am will be played August 6-12 at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Ind.

“I am extremely proud of these two seniors as they are continuing to set the standard for USF golf,” said head coach Marci Kornegay. “Having teammates qualify for the U.S. Women's Am brings great exposure to our program. We wish them the best as they compete in the championship.”

Pulley, of Kokomo, Ind., registered a 74 at The Legends of Indiana in Franklin, Ind., to take second in the 58-golfer qualifier. Pulley, who made the turn at 1-under-par, will also be playing in her first-career USGA Women’s Am. 

“I look forward to playing in the event, especially since it is in my home state” said Pulley. “I haven’t ever played the course, but I know that all I have to do is play really well on the first two days to make the cut, then I can move on to match play.”

Jones, of Jensen Beach, Fla., carded a 75 at Jonathan’s Landing Golf Club at Old Trail in Jupiter, Fla., to tie for seventh in the 60-player event. Jones earned the seventh and final qualifying spot after winning a playoff in the first hole. This is the first time Jones has qualified for the tournament.

“I think I scored decent for the course conditions,” said Jones. “There was a lot of casual water, so the course felt a couple of hundred yards farther than it really was. I wasn’t hitting the ball well, so I had to make up my score on the greens.”

Archived