Gransberry and Jones may be suspended by NCAA

Bull Dozer

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,675
  • Days Won:  13

mCmURPHY BROKE THE um usf SERIES DIDNT HE?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

1 game - see Greg's blog.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Unfortunately these tournaments are major sticklers for the NCAA. While some are quick to say the NCAA is micromanaging, etc they are not.

First, the main reason the NCAA must certify tournaments lies in the fact that many of the participants receive gifts and other sponsor related items for playing. Tracy McGrady is a big name in basketball he's got contracts with Adidas, Vitamin Water, and one of the video game companies. While this may seem harmless, kids will accept these gifts not knowing whats going on and then USF has a major problem on their hands.

Second, the prize money is not so much the problem. It's the fact that these kids were selected to play for this prize money because they are NCAA athletes. If it were open for everyone, no problem. However, you cannot get compensated or compete to be compensated merely because you're an NCAA athlete.

Sucks, but there are very good reasons for these rules, not the NCAA trying to hold these kids down. In most situations the school has probably drilled this into these kids heads multiple times, they just got stars in their eyes when they saw who else was playing in it. In fact kids are usually allowed to play in most leagues and tournaments.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Per Greg's blog, KG will only sit out the first game against Cleveland State.

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

USF needs to hire someone to teach these kids what is right and what is wrong.

taking money - bad

having children when you are a collegiate athlete - bad

failing drug tests - bad

failing classes- bad

getting arrested - bad

driving with a suspended license THREE TIMES - bad

its really not that hard. 

it happens everywhere, but it sure happens to usf a lot.  not the reputation an up and coming program wants to have. 

Brett you keep reporting the news, good or bad, you do a great job. 

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

taking money - bad

having children when you are a collegiate athlete - bad

failing drug tests - bad

failing classes- bad

getting arrested - bad

it happens everywhere, but it sure happens to usf a lot.  not the reputation an up and coming program wants to have. 

Gransberry didn't do any of the above, so I guess he's in the clear.

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

taking money - bad

having children when you are a collegiate athlete- bad

failing drug tests - bad

failing classes- bad

getting arrested - bad

Gransberry didn't do any of the above, so I guess he's in the clear.

sorry

playing in a charity event when enrolled in college as an athlete - bad

I know you can't do that and I never played collegiate sports.   How is it I know that and Gransberry and jones do not know that?  Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously they HAVE to know that.  Its not the end of the world and if I was in charge of the rules, the rule wouldnt exist.  but the rule does exist and players must be taught to abide by them. 

I just hope we dont struggle or lose against Cleveland State without our best player. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Per Greg's blog, KG will only sit out the first game against Cleveland State.

Hopefully we can find away to win that game with a small green lineup. 

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

sorry

I know you can't do that and I never played collegiate sports.  How is it I know that and Gransberry and jones do not know that?  Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously they HAVE to know that.  Its not the end of the world and if I was in charge of the rules, the rule wouldnt exist.  but the rule does exist and players must be taught to abide by them. 

I just hope we dont struggle or lose against Cleveland State without our best player. 

I hate to bust your bubble, since you are on a roll, but playing in a charity event is not against NCAA regulations.  His transgression was that particular charity event was not on the official list of the several thousand charity events sanctioned by the NCAA for this year.  Sorry, but I can't get all upset at a player that was giving up his free time to perform in a charity event.  That's something I would encourage.  I would merely ask that they clear the event with the USF compliance office first.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

sorry

I know you can't do that and I never played collegiate sports.   How is it I know that and Gransberry and jones do not know that?  Not trying to be a jerk, but seriously they HAVE to know that.  Its not the end of the world and if I was in charge of the rules, the rule wouldnt exist.  but the rule does exist and players must be taught to abide by them. 

I hate to bust your bubble, since you are on a roll, but playing in a charity event is not against NCAA regulations.  His transgression was that particular charity event was not on the official list of the several thousand charity events sanctioned by the NCAA for this year.  Sorry, but I can't get all upset at a player that was giving up his free time to perform in a charity event.  That's something I would encourage.  I would merely ask that they clear the event with the USF compliance office first.

It wasn't that it was a charity event, it was the fact that you could make $10,000 winning the event. Gansberry was in it becuase he's a college basketball player and that is a major no no.

Archived