Chance to play FSU now?

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

Well, it's still the offseason and there is a ND schedule thread  ;)

Hart wants to finish 10-year contract

FSU Athletic Director Dave Hart will soon meet with President T.K. Wetherell.

Emily Badger

Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted July 10 2007

TALLAHASSEE -- Florida State Athletic Director Dave Hart has helped elevate the school's women's athletics programs, overhauled most of the sports facilities and steered the school into a power-brokering role in the Atlantic Coast Conference. But now his tenure at FSU -- successful by most accounts -- is in question.

Hart is meeting this week with University President T.K. Wetherell, who already has informed Hart his 10-year contract likely won't be renewed in January 2009. The two administrators have often been at odds behind the scenes with clashing managerial styles. Hart has been praised for running a corporate-like department but also criticized for a cold demeanor less conducive to politicking and fund-raising.

Wetherell is the quintessential big-picture politician, a former state legislator and FSU football player who was appointed president in 2003. Hart was hired in 1995 by Wetherell's predecessor, Sandy D'Alemberte. His 10-year contract, with perks for country-club memberships, courtesy cars and lucrative annuities, was inherited by Wetherell.

Hart, 58, said in a statement he was surprised by the letter he received from Wetherell on June 1 about the future of Hart's contract.

"Since my arrival at Florida State, I've had a desire and design to finish my athletics administration career as a Seminole," Hart's statement said. "If, in the final analysis, that is not possible, then I will do the best I can as long as I'm in that role."

Hart's contract emphasizes the importance of maintaining stability at the top of the athletic department, and he is due to receive a $300,000 bonus for completing the term. By that time, he will have been at the university for 15 years, during which he has been a candidate for open athletic director positions at both Georgia and Alabama, his alma mater.

Wetherell had not yet returned from vacation Monday and has said he won't comment on Hart's status until the two meet.

Emily Badger can be reached at ebadger@orlandosentinel.com. 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I really doubt it.  Can you really think that the shape FSU's program is in right now they would want to risk getting beat by the upstart Bulls?  LOL

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

You know, the best part of all these "We want to play" threads?  THEY are all afraid of THE BULLS!

Same as us and UCF. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

Unlike UCF, we have a legitamate shot at winning.

I love it!

GO BULLS!

Mama... Hart has publicly said something to the effect of "why would we want to play USF? they do nothing for us"...

Sounds a lot like the arguments people are making about the UCF series... the only difference is that we are, in fact, a member of a BCS conference.  That will have some bearing on future schedules...

And any game against FSU will be years in the future... who can say where FSU will be by then... we all know where USF will be, tho.

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

Oh, I agree 100%. I'm only saying that the mentality of the arguement is the same.

If they play an up and coming BCS school and do anything other than a blowout, it's a loss for FSU.

If we play a non BCS school, any non BCS school, anything less than a blowout is a loss.

GO BULLS!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Mama... Hart has publicly said something to the effect of "why would we want to play USF? they do nothing for us"...

And what exactly did UAB, Troy and the Citadel do for them? The key word there is "publicly"...

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Triple,

It was no secret at all that Hart did not want to have any scheduled games with USF in football or basketball, so it is a good thing that he is on the way out.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Triple,

It was no secret at all that Hart did not want to have any scheduled games with USF in football or basketball, so it is a good thing that he is on the way out.

I was more questioning his lame reasoning that we did nothing for them..... We did backdoor a hoops game with them this year in a tourney, though, didn't we?

• Content Count:  698
  • Days Won:  0

Even if we played them, they would beat us...

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Even if we played them, they would beat us...

This isn't the Noles of the 90s. It would be alot closer than you think.

Besides, any given Saturday.

Archived