Redshirt Freshmen

BiggTipp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

question...Do RFr. get to dress and possibly play for bowl games?? I saw Carlton Mitchell dressed for Papajohns.com Bowl and he was a redshirt. can somebodyt explain?

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Leavitt usually lets a few redshirting freshmen travel with the team -- with something like a bowl trip, you want as many players as possible to take part in the experience, whether they actually play or not. A player can shed a redshirt at any point during the season, so you'll often see a handful of redshirting freshmen dressed as precautionary measures -- I remember walk-on Jacob Sims was dressed at some games last year, just in case multiple offensive linemen were to get injured in the same game.

Thing I remember about Carlton Mitchell in Birmingham was it was first time I saw him wearing his new jersey, No. 2, after Jackie Chambers had been dismissed from the team.

A football player can play in the first three games of the season and still take a medical redshirt if there's an injury that contributes to his not being able to play the rest of the season -- happened with Grant Gregory last season.

• Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt usually lets a few redshirting freshmen travel with the team -- with something like a bowl trip, you want as many players as possible to take part in the experience, whether they actually play or not. A player can shed a redshirt at any point during the season, so you'll often see a handful of redshirting freshmen dressed as precautionary measures -- I remember walk-on Jacob Sims was dressed at some games last year, just in case multiple offensive linemen were to get injured in the same game.

Thing I remember about Carlton Mitchell in Birmingham was it was first time I saw him wearing his new jersey, No. 2, after Jackie Chambers had been dismissed from the team.

A football player can play in the first three games of the season and still take a medical redshirt if there's an injury that contributes to his not being able to play the rest of the season -- happened with Grant Gregory last season.

Did MO take a med RS after the MSU game

• Content Count:  2,493

so if they were to play in the bowl game, it would eat their redshirt and they would be sophmores next season? I know of playing at any point can kill your redshirt, but I thought the bowl game was different because its the "postseason". guess not.

Plancher would certainly be eligible for a medical redshirt and a sixth year of eligibility. I think USF will identify him as a sophomore this fall, in that you can't officially get a medical redshirt until you've used up your eligibility. But if he so chooses, he would be eligible to seek four more years of eligibility ...

Tipp, bowl counts as part of the previous season. Only thing interesting is that midyear transfers and freshmen who enroll in January can start practicing with the team once fall exams are completed in December, if I remember correctly ...

• Content Count:  9,038

Wow...that's a lot of rules...

• Content Count:  57
  • Days Won:  0

Medical Redshirt Explanation.

Players do not TAKE medical redshirts.  they APPLY for them at the end of their 5th year.  there is also not a rule on playing in the first 3 games of the season.  it's something along the lines of missing at least 80% (not exactly sure on that) of your teams games due to injury.

after the 2008 season grant will apply for a medical and see what the NCAA decides.  I would assume Mo Plancher would do the same thing after 2009 and depending what happens with matt huners rehab in the next few months he would also be a candidate after 2008.

i've got two friends who actually PLAYED in five separate seasons of college football due to missing 20 games in two years due to a multitude of nagging/semi-serious injuries.  one came into school with me in the fall of 2001 and just played his "second" senior year last fall.

i'm not quoting the rulebook, but you can't have played in more than 20 percent of your season (three games is just the cutoff in football) and cannot have played in the second half of the season to be eligible. i remember that steve spurrier's son played a single play, the last play of a blowout loss as a walk-on in his freshman year at duke. three years later, when he had turned into a relative star receiver there and sought a medical redshirt, the ncaa didn't give it because of when he had played in his first season ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I remember a QB, #13 warming up in pregame drills before our first Bowl Game in Charlotte  ;D

Archived