Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

USF UCF is a rivalry any way you cut it...

With a true rivalry, diehard fans aren't split, or ambivalent, on whether it is one or not ....

Very true.  A true rivalry builds over a series of years. and grips everyone involved on both sides.  This does not fit that definition in any way, shape, or form.  As was discussed in one of the other threads, if this is going to become a rivalry, we'll know it in 5 to 10 years.  However, there are people that have been claiming that this has been a rivalry for years.  Beyond being hilariously funny, it also shows that there are people that have no understanding whatsoever of rivalries.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

drop the UCF series!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

We have seen the UCF game draw a great deal of UCF fans to RJS. 

I think the Miami game will draw Bulls fans and potential Bulls fans to RJS to see the Bulls take on a proven and legit program like Miami.

UCF does not resonate with college football fans like Miami does.  Continuing the UCF series should be discussed along the same lines as continuing any other lower tier program in the state (FIU, FAU, etc.).

I don't care one way or the other if we play them - I just fail to see any reason to call it a rivalry or any kind of annual game. 

I think their fans are a hoot though. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I think the Miami game will draw Bulls fans and potential Bulls fans to RJS to see the Bulls take on a proven and legit program like Miami.

Agree !

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

I don't mind of this series takes a break for a few years, but I would like to keep it up in the near future. I see UCF getting better in the near future, so it would likely be a good match up in say 3-4 years.

• Content Count:  1,480

2) We will play UCF again in the future.  The 2008 game won't be the last, just the last in the current series.  Expect sometime in the next decade there will be another series with the Knights. 

3) And it won't be unbalanced.  I don't see UAB or USM or ECU signing a 2 for 1 with USF, why should UCF.  Sure, we are BCS and they aren't... but they also aren't Sun Belt.  Expect a couple of 1 and 1 series in the next 10-12 years.

Jim,

I believe you and I had a debate about this very series last year when you vehemently stated that no matter what the school would follow the stated policy when it came to scheduling AA teams, non BCS teams and BCS teams. By your own defence UCF can't be scheduled in any way other than unbalanced.

2) This is my holdup on cancelling the series. We're replacing UCF with non-BCS games, and chances are, they will be 1 and 1s, not these 2 and 1s. The reason schools like FAU and FIU give us 2 for 1s is because they are hanging on to dear life to stay Division I-A; they don't have anything for leverage. We cannot afford to outbid the large programs to play those teams on a one shot game in Tampa. Our best bargaining chip is that we will go play in their stadiums in return for 2 games in Tampa and we get a cheaper payout to these schools.

Joe

Look at the future schedule year by year. We have one series ending in 08 and another starting in 09. As far as I can tell we have replaced UCF for Miami as an annual in state game and UCF gets demoted to the ranks of all other non bcs florida teams. We will still play them if they want it bad enough to agree to our terms...just as it should be.

-When the UCF riveraly comes up thread start being over 4 pages long

Proudbull,

This is a nonsensical comment. Yes, this topic always ends up with multiple pages however the majority of people are arguing against this game and I see more hate for the idea that the game should be played than any hate towards UCF. I also don't buy the idea that simply by commenting that we don't want to play the game that this somehow implies a hatred to them and interest in the game. I have zero interest in this game, have argued it year after year....I also hate playing the AA teams and have argued just as strongly about playing those games (btw, threads about those games also end up very long). Does this mean that myself and others that hat the idea of playing AA teams secretly hate these other teams and indicate potential rivalries with a AA team? IMO, if we ever actually end up with a true rivalry with UCF it will only be because we have been unsucessful playing the better teams.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

I stand corrected on the attendance numbers. That number must be tickets sold, and yes I know that means more money, because there was nowhere near 45 k in actual attendance at the WVU game.

Correct.

2005 UCF/USF game was the only game in USF history that have an actual crowd OVER 40,000.

Here's the actual attendance for those 2 games:

UCF 2005 Game: 40,988

WVU 2005 Game: 38,510

FYI...USF Students set a RJS attendance record for the largest student turnout at the 2005 UCF Game.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

Were West Virginia were 98 miles down the road the stadium would have sold out.

You guys bring carloads of students and UCF fans...that's good if that is our goal, but I don't sense that it is.

We need to build our base, not attract the closest possible opponent to RJS.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

I rethought my position earlier to email Constantine.  I guess the best way to make this go away is to ignore the knights and ignore constantine, unless he tries to pass some legislation.

What part of the fact that UM in 09 will bring way more fans than UCF don't people understand???

Nothing.

USF still needs to schedule FIVE non-conf games a year...and all USF fans know that home games vs Div I-AA Wofford, Samford, Elon, and I-A teams like FIU, FAU, Indiana, kansas, etc...will draw crap.

• Content Count:  19,630
  • Days Won:  255

Look at the big brain on Brad! That is exactly right, we have goals for our program that unfortunately, for this game, do not include seeing how many UCF fans we can bring to our stadium every other year. While in the short term these fans may add a minimal gain to our wallets, in the long run they just are not part of the plan.

Were West Virginia were 98 miles down the road the stadium would have sold out.

You guys bring carloads of students and UCF fans...that's good if that is our goal, but I don't sense that it is.

We need to build our base, not attract the closest possible opponent to RJS.

Archived