Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

They definately bring in more money as they do not require a return game.

I'd argue with that. We're paying Elon and Wofford 300k each to come play at RJS. Last year McNeese drew 26,000.

Actually, USF's home opener last year vs McNeese only drew an actual crowd of 20,930...so USF played infront of about 44,000 EMPTY seats at RJS on opening day.

Considering many in the crowd were students (i.e. got in free to the game) and without getting USF receiving any parking or concession  or sky box rental $$$ as well (only tixs), after RENT payment to RJS...USF obviously isn't swimming in $$$$ when they open up against teams like McNeese.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

and...

How can we expect Florida, Florida State, and Miami to schedule us when it clearly is not good for their programs if we won't play UCF because it's not good for our program?  Double standard maybe?

Very truthful post.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,480

They definately bring in more money as they do not require a return game.

I'd argue with that. We're paying Elon and Wofford 300k each to come play at RJS. Last year McNeese drew 26,000.

Actually, USF's home opener last year vs McNeese only drew an actual crowd of 20,930...so USF played infront of about 44,000 EMPTY seats at RJS on opening day.

Considering many in the crowd were students (i.e. got in free to the game) and without getting USF receiving any parking or concession  or sky box rental $$$ as well (only tixs), after RENT payment to RJS...USF obviously isn't swimming in $$$$ when they open up against teams like McNeese.

I agree, these games suck and should be discontinued. However, it doesn't have any affect on the ucf debate since we'll be scheduling a couple of these a year no matter what.

• Content Count:  549

I guess if all it takes is a long-standing series, or a trophy, there are hundreds and hundreds of "rivalries" in the country.  My own personal definition of a rivalry is a little different, I guess, if not altogether vague. ;D  Louisville and Cincinnati play for the 'Keg O' Nails' every year, and have for a looong time, but in no way are they considered a heated rival in the way that USF/UCF would become.  Even when Cincy would win, It wasn't a big deal.  It would suck a little more than losing to some random team, but imagine what would happen if UCF were to beat the Bulls...that would be a rivalry, and it would not be good for USF.  All of the sudden UCF is taking more and more recruits, getting more and more respect, getting better in CUSA, maybe getting a BE bid...the bigger UCF gets, the less room there is for every one else.  Keep them down.  I don't know why people want to play them, anyway.  What reason does a Bulls fan have to be bitter towards a team that hardly competes with them. ???

My point about rivalries is that big teams are not served well by giving that much power to a little team in the same vicinity.  Perhaps it's just a coincidence that around the time Colorado and Colorado State started playing regularly, Colorado stopped being a national power and Colorado State became a good top40 program.  I doubt it.

• Content Count:  549

and...

How can we expect Florida, Florida State, and Miami to schedule us when it clearly is not good for their programs if we won't play UCF because it's not good for our program?  Double standard maybe?

Very truthful post.

We don't have to expect anything, you take what you are given, and these teams are giving the Bulls a shot.

I agree with BULLheaded top to bottom, those teams are elite and probably believe they have nothing to fear.  They're wrong.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

and...

Very truthful post.

Not really. It's not a double standard. What most USF fans want is what's best for the USF football program. Playing the Big 3 and not playing UCF is what's best for the program, long term. It's as simple as that.

• Content Count:  1,803

UCF has yet to beat a BE team so I'm not too worried  :P

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

LOL

LSU/Tulane is not a rivalry.

Cinncinati/Miami is not a rivalry, although their programs are probably about even strength...hmmm.

Colorado/Colorado State was not a rivalry until the Buffs went downhill and the Rams became decent.

Memphis/Ole Miss is questionable, and borderline BCS teams(Ole Miss) should not be role models.

If you want to beat UCF for bragging rights with your friends and family, that's fine(as if a UCF fan has ever had anything to brag to a USF fan about[another reason it's not a rivalry]).  But if you want what's good for the program, it's a mistake, IMO.

Cincinnati/Miami is not a rivalry? Are you serious? It's the "Oldest Rivalry West of the Allegheny" A pretty big rivalry game that is played for Victory Bell. I'm sure there is plenty on Google about it.

Colorado State was beating Colorado before the sanctions and violations. They took 3 of 4 in the late 90s early 2000s. In 2001 Colorado finished 9th in the country and went to a BCS Bowl. In 2002, they finished 21st and lost to Colorado State

The point wasn't rivalries, because USF and UCF isn't just yet. However, it is a game that makes sense, financially and from a fanbase perspective and it is tough to ignore that when you consider a replacement game won't draw near what UCF would.

You (and others) keep saying we don't have a replacement for UCF and Miami is not a replacement and "TECHNICALLY" you are correct.  But the REALITY is that we are replacing one annual in state series (whether BCS or not), with another in state series (whether BCS or not).  Yes, I know how the schedule works, 1 1-aa, 2 non bcs, 2 bcs, so technically Miami is not replacing them, but in reality they are as far as an annual series with an in state school.

cinci-maimi were both non-bcs teams when this rivalry began and if Cinci becomes successful at the BCS level I'd be surprised if the fans will remain too interested in this game. Also, for a long time Miami was a high quality mid major.

Technically all teams were "non-BCS" when rivalries began... even Michigan-Ohio State... AP didn't teams until the mid 1930's...

You (and others) keep saying we don't have a replacement for UCF and Miami is not a replacement and "TECHNICALLY" you are correct.  But the REALITY is that we are replacing one annual in state series (whether BCS or not), with another in state series (whether BCS or not).  Yes, I know how the schedule works, 1 1-aa, 2 non bcs, 2 bcs, so technically Miami is not replacing them, but in reality they are as far as an annual series with an in state school.

Except that neither of them were "annual" series... they are consecutive series - and there is a slight difference... an "annual" series implies the game will be played in perpetuity... like Notre Dame & USC or Florida & Florida State...

The fact that Miami agreed to have 5 back-to-back games has more to do with ESPN offering to televise it, than USF seeking out the series... I really don't think Miami would have gone for this without ESPN stepping up... if Miami had fallen through, would the UCF series had continued? Who knows... it's pure speculation...

Heck, we could say we're replacing our ACC series with UNC with an ACC series against NC State...

Archived