Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

[glow=yellow,2,300]As to Colorado vs Colorado St that is the only option for an instate D-1 game[/glow], lucky for us we have we have five, and the game has been being played long before the conference system became such a mess.

Actally, I believe the Air Force Academy is in CO .... but the premise is dead-on. All these old time "rivalries" some keep throwing out go back to when you really didn't have that many options when it came to scheduling games .... especially close proximity games.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Colorado/Colorado State didn't really play annually in modern football until the mid 90s. Had a few series in the 80s. But before that they hadn't played since the 50s.

Louisville v. UK really didn't start until the mid 90s.

ECU and Va Tech have signed through 2015 (8 years)

• Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

LOL

LSU/Tulane is not a rivalry.

Cinncinati/Miami is not a rivalry, although their programs are probably about even strength...hmmm.

Colorado/Colorado State was not a rivalry until the Buffs went downhill and the Rams became decent.

Memphis/Ole Miss is questionable, and borderline BCS teams(Ole Miss) should not be role models.

If you want to beat UCF for bragging rights with your friends and family, that's fine(as if a UCF fan has ever had anything to brag to a USF fan about[another reason it's not a rivalry]).  But if you want what's good for the program, it's a mistake, IMO.

• Content Count:  19,648
  • Days Won:  255

Thanks that completely slipped my mind when I was posting off the cuff. But the point remains the same we have alot more options when it comes to playing close games, U of C only has the two non BCS teams to pick from we have 3 BCS teams and 3 Non BCS teams ( two of whom will give us 2 for 1's), as far as I am concerned it all stacks up to UCF being the worst of our six instate D-1 options.

[glow=yellow,2,300]As to Colorado vs Colorado St that is the only option for an instate D-1 game[/glow], lucky for us we have we have six, and the game has been being played long before the conference system became such a mess.

Actally, I believe the Air Force Academy is in CO .... but the premise is dead-on. All these old time "rivalries" some keep throwing out go back to when you really didn't have that many options when it came to scheduling games .... especially close proximity games.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

This has been one of the better debates for such a long thread ... really not that much crap. I enjoy seeing the different sides.

It is great that in such a short time USF has past UCF in football and as indicated, we have dominated at all other sports also. Which brings to question, after all these years of domination and has conitued with football, why do these gnats continue want to be beaten by USF? Maybe we should show up to these games in "wife beater" t's:

52397477_31b787839d_o.jpg

FYI: UCF's overall record only has 1 more victory than lose. And their visit to NC State and hosting Texas for the first 2 games should put them under .500 for their lifetime.

Go BULLS !!!

What about an SEC team matching itself to a C-USA team...

Oh, there are two.

Ole Miss v. Memphis

LSU v. Tulane

What about Colorado v. Colorado State?

C'mon, Joe, those series go back 80, 100 and 100 years respectively .... Find a more recent, relevant example.

There are NO "new" rivalries in college football.  BCS or non-BCS is irrelevant.

Florida-Florida State might be the "most recent" rivalry, and it's more than 50 years old...

LOL

Cinncinati/Miami is not a rivalry, although their programs are probably about even strength...hmmm.

Colorado/Colorado State was not a rivalry until the Buffs went downhill and the Rams became decent.

Memphis/Ole Miss is questionable, and borderline BCS teams(Ole Miss) should not be role models.

If you want to beat UCF for bragging rights with your friends and family, that's fine(as if a UCF fan has ever had anything to brag to a USF fan about[another reason it's not a rivalry]).  But if you want what's good for the program, it's a mistake, IMO.

Cincinnati/Miami is not a rivalry? Are you serious? It's the "Oldest Rivalry West of the Allegheny" A pretty big rivalry game that is played for Victory Bell. I'm sure there is plenty on Google about it.

Colorado State was beating Colorado before the sanctions and violations. They took 3 of 4 in the late 90s early 2000s. In 2001 Colorado finished 9th in the country and went to a BCS Bowl. In 2002, they finished 21st and lost to Colorado State

The point wasn't rivalries, because USF and UCF isn't just yet. However, it is a game that makes sense, financially and from a fanbase perspective and it is tough to ignore that when you consider a replacement game won't draw near what UCF would.

Thanks that completely slipped my mind when I was posting off the cuff. But the point remains the same we have alot more options when it comes to playing close games, U of C only has the two non BCS teams to pick from we have 3 BCS teams and 3 Non BCS teams ( two of whom will give us 2 for 1's), as far as I am concerned it all stacks up to UCF being the worst of our six instate D-1 options.

Colorado v. Colorado State didn't play for almost 30 years until some series in the 80s. In the mid 90s they made it annual, so it's not like Colorado picked the game up because it was a convenient trip. Not sure why they did, but I do know it draws fans, and they haven't dropped it yet.

LOL

Cincinnati-Miami IS a rivalry... in fact, they even play for a Trophy.

and...

How can we expect Florida, Florida State, and Miami to schedule us when it clearly is not good for their programs if we won't play UCF because it's not good for our program?  Double standard maybe?

I used to be one of the gung ho, "UCF should be ever year" types... BULLheaded can attest to that... but my stance has softened to "let's play them a few times each decade"... not every year because - you are right - it's not the best thing for the program... but not so rarely that it loses some of its appeal.

There are positive and negative aspects to playing UCF, if we can accentuate the positives and mitigate the negatives by playing an on-again-off-again kind of series, I think that will be good for both the fanbase and the program.

• Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

LOL

Cincinnati-Miami IS a rivalry... in fact, they even play for a Trophy.

and...

How can we expect Florida, Florida State, and Miami to schedule us when it clearly is not good for their programs if we won't play UCF because it's not good for our program?  Double standard maybe?

I used to be one of the gung ho, "UCF should be ever year" types... BULLheaded can attest to that... but my stance has softened to "let's play them a few times each decade"... not every year because - you are right - it's not the best thing for the program... but not so rarely that it loses some of its appeal.

There are positive and negative aspects to playing UCF, if we can accentuate the positives and mitigate the negatives by playing an on-again-off-again kind of series, I think that will be good for both the fanbase and the program.

cinci-maimi were both non-bcs teams when this rivalry began and if Cinci becomes successful at the BCS level I'd be surprised if the fans will remain too interested in this game. Also, for a long time Miami was a high quality mid major.

I agree about Florida, Miami, and FSU. I still don't quite understand why Miami gave us the break they did, I'd be very unhappy about this series if I was a Miami fan. Just look at the benefits that game has given us, papers all over Florida were talkin about how this series proves we have arrived (or at the very least arriving) same has been written up in just about all the national online sites (ESPN, CFN, Sporting News, Rivals  etc....) Leavitt has been jacked about this and obviously believes this will be a terrific recruiting tool and with all the press how can that be denied? This type of press will get attention and help push our program forward and if we are able to pull out a couple wins in the series it could be one of the biggest things for us since getting invited to the BE. The way I see it if your on top you don't throw a rope to those below you, hense, we will continue to scratch and claw at the elite teams and ucf will continue to scratch and claw at us.

There is also one big difference between us and the Big 3, they happen to be already well established as an elite team and don't have to make their name. We are a work in progress right now and have to be more carefull to make the right choices in starting a series that could build our identity and the quality of the OTHER team makes a difference. Take away the little bit of extra money and the close proximity and tell me what it is about ucf that we want associated with us...are they the quality of team that we want the media to be telling everyone is our most important opponent or biggest rival and calling it the biggest day of the year for USF? Sorry, that is NOT how I want our program to be perceived. Shoot, even if Miami never looks at us as a rival I'd still rather have a regular game with them and let the media call it a rival in the making (as we know they will no matter what the reality is)

Now that all said, I don't have a problem with an occasional game especially if it is part of a rotation against all the non big 3 florida teams so it isn't percieved as anything special.

Archived