Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

... you guys should expect to see 1-for-1 deals with non-BCS schools, whether it's C-USA or MAC or other conferences ...

So when are you gonna break some news Greg ?

;D

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

And that is more than getting paid nothing to play at UCF. When we play at home we cut travel expenses to the bare minimum, sell tickets to all of our season ticket holders, create exposure within OUR community, allow OUR fans to see games and make money every single year as opposed to every other year.

The UCF game is more than likely being replaced by home and away series with other nonBCS teams, not D-IAA teams...

• Content Count:  19,643
  • Days Won:  255

This was your arguement and it had nothing to do with anything other than uneven series and pay games-

They definately bring in more money as they do not require a return game.

I'd argue with that. We're paying Elon and Wofford 300k each to come play at RJS. Last year McNeese drew 26,000.

The I-AA is very very useful because it in essence gives us a chance to get our ducks in a row as far as gameplay goes, and it gives us a free game to get bowl eligible.

What it is really not good for is a revenue source. Outside FAMU (who we apparently gave gate receipts to come play here) our I-AA games since going I-A full time have averaged about 24,000 according to my calaculations. The best draw was the 2003 homecoming game v. Charleston Southern at 28,000

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I just tend to believe that if you were to send a questionaire out to our season ticket holders you would get a majority saying they like the annual UCF, they would also say they believe it should continue.

On here, we have about 100 or so very hardcore and committed fans who delve into every aspect of the program, the majority don't want the game. However, most of them are in spite of UCF because they're sick on the annoying fans like K_L who come and add no relevance to a conversation.

I like the game for its aesthetic value. It creates interest in a game (one of our 2 non-BCS slots) that would not be there for any other nonBCS team, outside Navy or Army, and even then there is a question as to whether a game against those guys could be.  (Army drew 36,000 in 2004)

Further, USF still has not fully connected with the student fanbase. While I expect it to change, it's not going to happen overnight. SO much is made about what this program can do to create or interest or bring more money in. The reality is the current students are the future of the viability of this program on a national scale. It will get to a point where to compete with the top 10 (Texas, Michigan, Florida, etc) we're gonna have to spend like a top 10 team, and the majority of those schools aren't solely making money off of their conferences; they all get over $20 Million a year in booster contributions for football. The current USF students will probably be the ones paying those fees, and any interest we can garner is great for the program.

Finally, yes we are adding Miami to the schedule, but that doesn't mean we should just desert a game that generates interest.  If USF had 40,000 actual bodies at every game, I'd see it differently, but we don't, and last year was a proof that it makes more than USF right now to draw fans.

I understand your point of view, but I do not agree with it at all.

No doubt these are some positive things about this game, although I think there are negative aspects of the game that outweigh this. Yes, in the short term a few thousand extra butts in seats help out but here are some things that bother me about this game

1) Distinguishing ourselves to recruits, media, fans etc... around the country. Right now we joke about F_U same as in miichigan there is U_M and frankly talking to people outside the area you can say the same about ucf and us....U_F. I think in the long run separating ourselves from them and establishing our own identity is extremely important and if we form a rivalry (ie...link ourselves with ucf) this makes that much more difficult.

2) Respect, the quality of a team is reflected by the quality of the team's rivalries. We don't need to establish a rivalry that inherently is and will always be looked at as Florida's minor league bout. I don't see how this helps us garner the respect we are trying to achieve, in addition, hopefully we are attempting to prove that we are a BCS calibur team and defining ourselves by establishing our biggest game of the year against a non-bcs team (and a poor quality one at that) certainly does not further that cause.

3) Interest, yes I know there is some interest right now and I honestly believe that is because to the casual fan and even many of the die hards ucf and usf are on the same level. I find it hard to imagine if we attain the success that we are all hoping for that interest in this game will remain high (unless ucf has some luck and enters a bcs conference or seriously turns around the quality of their program...and I'm not talking stadiums or practice facilities). Really, if we beat Miami a couple times, continue to win against ranked teams like UL and WVU or if we beat Auburn do you really think you'll be jacked about playing ucf? I just can't imagine that if we get a taste of beating the best that we'll ever be satisfied with a ucf type game again....especially an annual series or rivalry.

To reiterate your concluding remarks, I also understand your point of view but strongly disagree with it. There are just bigger hills to climb and better fish to fry and I don't think holding ourselves back for a quick fix in the short term is good for the program in the long run.

Bullheaded, I agree with everything you just said.  12 pages of posts and probably 9-10 of them are against series.  What does that tell you.  A long thread does NOT mean we want this as a rivalry.  We just can not sit silent while they try to shove a "rivalry" down our throats that we do not need right now.

For a BigEast team to attach itself to a CUSA team like that is goofy. 

See also Cincinnati v Miami, OH... a Big East team attached to a lowly MAC team!  How goofy!  [/sarcasm]

Bullheaded...

When I wrote we "only sign 1 and 1s with BCS teams" ... I meant "with BCS teams, we only sign 1 and 1s"... not "we sign 1 and 1s with only BCS teams" ... I guess I wasn't explaining my thoughts correctly.

So this is why I think the next UCF series - sometime down the line - will be evenly matched (1 and 1).

When I think of our programs future I dream of being like the Bearcats ::)

For a BigEast team to attach itself to a CUSA team like that is goofy. 

See also Cincinnati v Miami, OH... a Big East team attached to a lowly MAC team!  How goofy!  [/sarcasm]

Bullheaded...

When I wrote we "only sign 1 and 1s with BCS teams" ... I meant "with BCS teams, we only sign 1 and 1s"... not "we sign 1 and 1s with only BCS teams" ... I guess I wasn't explaining my thoughts correctly.

So this is why I think the next UCF series - sometime down the line - will be evenly matched (1 and 1).

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

What about an SEC team matching itself to a C-USA team...

Oh, there are two.

Ole Miss v. Memphis

LSU v. Tulane

What about Colorado v. Colorado State? The fact that they played a Mountain West, nonBCS team didn't hurt Colorado (pre **** allegations/sanctions) when they finished the regular season 3rd in the BCS standings and in the top ten after the bowl games in 2001.

How many times does it need to be pointed out that LSU controls the games at the Super Dome?

Oh, there are two.

Ole Miss v. Memphis

LSU v. Tulane

What about Colorado v. Colorado State? The fact that they played a Mountain West, nonBCS team didn't hurt Colorado (pre **** allegations/sanctions) when they finished the regular season 3rd in the BCS standings and in the top ten after the bowl games in 2001.

As to Colorado vs Colorado St that is the only option for an instate D-1 game, lucky for us we have we have six, and the game has been being played long before the conference system became such a mess.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Oh, there are two.

Ole Miss v. Memphis

LSU v. Tulane

What about Colorado v. Colorado State?

C'mon, Joe, those series go back 80, 100 and 100 years respectively .... Find a more recent, relevant example.

Archived