Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,657
  • Days Won:  255

We get two games for every one game that we play at F_U. With the UCF game we would only get 1-1 so when comparing the two you must add the impact of both games for F_U in order to compare it to the one game for UCF. I also pointed out that anounced attendance would create an even greater disparity in favor of the F_U creating a much greater economic impact for USF than the minimum 6,000 hypothetical.

As to the attendance even if we take your numbers and do not go by payed attendance + students 22,000+22,000 = more than 38,000 and at least 6,000 more reasons to play F_U.

What?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

Anyway, ... USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. ...

False. Neither of those teams are scheduled. We do not know who is replacing UCF. And I don't really look at it as "replacing". UCF was on the schedule for 2 games, then we were forced into 2 more. They are part of our past/future schedules. Fans have shown they like it, as I do. But let's see what DW has for future scheduling first.

0707bulls230.jpg

ET,

Its been laid out by Jim above, unless we schedule a 3rd BCS team each year we're going to be replacing UCF with another non BCS team. However, the AD and Coach have said that is the formula they are using for the next several seasons. And like the UCF game they'll probably be 1 and 1s because we just don't have the clout to be demanding a 2 for 1 from many of the better non-BCS teams.

1) We have replaced the ucf game with Miami. I don't claim this is a rivalry but it is a replacement of one annual series game against another vs an in-state opponent. The after effect is just that ucf just becomes another afterthought game. I just don't understand why people want to put so much emphasis on a terrible team. If we win it, how exactly does this help us? The BE is still regarded as weak and we need quality ooc games to make up for this and locking in a terrible team does nothing but hurt us. And before you mention the AA games we are scheduling I feel EXACTLY the same way about those games.

2) give me S. Miss over ucf any time! Those games were awesome and there was genuine hate from our side towards them and vice verca as opposed to the one sided nonsense ucf has for us. In addition, S. Miss would be a quality win, ucf is just a win against a horrible program that is close by.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

As to the attendance even if we take your numbers and do not go by payed attendance + students 22,000+22,000 = more than 38,000 and at least 6,000 more reasons to play F_U.

WTF???

• Content Count:  19,657
  • Days Won:  255

Paid, it had been a long day.

WTF???

• Content Count:  4,642

With all the recent articles about USF and USF Athletics going broke (i.e. budget cuts, lowest coaching payrolls in the BCS, etc...), guess Leavitt wants to continue to LOSE $$$$ from home games vs I-AA and teams like FIU.

Here's a refresher course on how many folks showed up to your games last year...during USF's Bowl Winning season:

FIU: 21,960 

McNeese St.  20,930 

Yeah...USF doesn't "need' UCF...LOL!!! ::)

You know Fag_Pants might be right... we should stop scheduling 1AA schools as the first game and just replace them with UCF.  I think ONLY at that point, will it ever help us.

• Content Count:  1,803

I like their obsession with us...makes me happy that somebody is looking up to us with envy  >:D

• Content Count:  12,676
  • Days Won:  25

Get the fat lady a lemon and polish up the old bugle.

Better yet, can anyone play "Taps" on a bull horn?

GO BULLS!

Actually, no. The scheduling formula does not say USF will only schedule 2 for 1s with non-BCS teams.  It does say that we will only schedule 1-1s with another BCS team.  I still stand by USF's scheduling formula.

Ummm, c'mon Jim I know your into politics but lets make a little sense here. I also did not say anything about 2 for 1, you said in your post that the series would not be "unbalanced" and as you quote above "we will only schedule 1-1s with another BCS team". Unless I am missing something here it is pretty clear cut. UCF is not BCS so the stated policy is that any series with them will be in fact "unbalanced"

The only way this would not be the case is if we change our policy as you so strongly pointed out to me last year about the AA teams.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unbalanced."  It has nothing to do with their quality or status as a member of C-USA.

The term "unbalanced" refers to the number of games played at each other's location.  If they are equal, like the UCF and UM series, they are "balanced" if they are unequal, like the FIU and FAU series, they are "unbalanced."

In the past, USF has signed single-game series with BCS schools (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Penn Sate, Florida, etc.).  The "only 1-1s" comment means that USF will only schedule away games with BCS teams who are willing to come to Tampa (Miami, UNC, Kansas, Michigan State, Indiana). 

Therefore, I believe any future series with UCF will be balanced - probably 2 series of 1 home game and 1 away game (not necessarily back to back). 

This does not mean we have to change policy and is totally unrelated to I-AA games, which I still point out is Jim Leavitt's personal opinion that we will play a I-AA game every year.

1) We have replaced the ucf game with Miami. I don't claim this is a rivalry but it is a replacement of one annual series game against another vs an in-state opponent. The after effect is just that ucf just becomes another afterthought game. I just don't understand why people want to put so much emphasis on a terrible team. If we win it, how exactly does this help us? The BE is still regarded as weak and we need quality ooc games to make up for this and locking in a terrible team does nothing but hurt us. And before you mention the AA games we are scheduling I feel EXACTLY the same way about those games.

2) give me S. Miss over ucf any time! Those games were awesome and there was genuine hate from our side towards them and vice verca as opposed to the one sided nonsense ucf has for us. In addition, S. Miss would be a quality win, ucf is just a win against a horrible program that is close by.

Matt... UCF = nonBCS; Miami=BCS ... because of the scheduling formula Miami can not replace UCF.  Miami has, instead, replaced UNC on our schedule.

Since we have Miami five times and either FAU or FIU 4 times between 2008 and 2013, I'm not sure why you think there is an "annual series" component to the schedule.

To be sure, OOC games against schools that are geographically close makes a lot sense... look at how many schools across the country play OOC games against teams nearby (for those who actually play away games OOC).  So, from a financial standpoint - until USF can join the Ohio States, Alabamas, and Florida's of the world - where we only travel to BCS teams - you can expect to play non-BCS schools UCF, FAU, FIU in a 'series'.

The formula has some kinks in 2008 and 2010 - years where there are 4 big east home games.

[table]

[tr][td]Game[/td][td]2007[/td][td]2008[/td][td]2009[/td][td]2010[/td][td]2011[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 I-AA home game[/td][td]Elon[/td][td]TN-Martin[/td][td]Wofford[/td][td]Samford[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 BCS home game[/td][td]UNC[/td][td]Kansas[/td][td]Miami[/td][td]@ Florida[/td][td]Miami[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 BCS away game[/td][td]@ Auburn[/td][td]@ NC State[/td][td]@ Indiana[/td][td]@ Miami[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 non-BCS home/away game[/td][td]UCF[/td][td]@UCF[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1 non-BCS home/away game[/td][td]@ FAU[/td][td]@FIU[/td][td]FIU[/td][td]FAU[/td][td]T.B.A.[/td][/tr]

[/table]

So you can see that UCF is being replaced by a non-BCS team, not Miami.

Anyway, ... USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. ...

False. Neither of those teams are scheduled. We do not know who is replacing UCF. And I don't really look at it as "replacing". UCF was on the schedule for 2 games, then we were forced into 2 more. They are part of our past/future schedules. Fans have shown they like it, as I do. But let's see what DW has for future scheduling first.

ET,

Its been laid out by Jim above, unless we schedule a 3rd BCS team each year we're going to be replacing UCF with another non BCS team. However, the AD and Coach have said that is the formula they are using for the next several seasons. And like the UCF game they'll probably be 1 and 1s because we just don't have the clout to be demanding a 2 for 1 from many of the better non-BCS teams.

I have to agree here... UCF will be replaced by a non-BCS team. See my post above.

Archived