Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

To coin a phrase, "It ain't over till the fat lady sings." Boys and girls, it ain't over yet!!! Some on this board think that UM will be our new rival game. C'mon! Be for real. Yes it is a step up game. Miami DOES have National Championships under it's belt. Miami DOES have a good TV rep. But Miami does NOT have the burning desire to whip our buts. To them, it's just another game. With the UCF game, those that say it's not important and we should not continue this game, let me point out some goodies for you. Did you not go to the Fruit Bowl in that sweltering heat last year. Did you not see Leavitt all pumped up after the victory? (IE see photo's on this board). Did you not see the mega attendance at our house the year before. Didn't we talk the smack to the utmost? Did you not see the pride of our players when we won? This folks is a classic. Who gives a rats ass if they are not BCS. Is a WOOFERD, a Samford,or any other patsy. Hell no. It is a game. A game that means alot to everyone at USF. I agree with Gratefull Dad, I thought So. Diss was our CUSA rival. But we do not play them. My question is, why not? If we "want" to drop UCF, why not add So. Diss? It won't put the $$$ in the coffers, but it would make a hell of a game. Certainly more that an ELON. Keep UCF on the schedule!    Reaper

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

The reason there are 9 pages on this topic is because most of us DO NOT WANT THIS "RIVALRY".  And we will shout it from the mountain tops at the top of our lungs.  We see bigger and better things for USF.  That is why we are making our voice heard and devoting 9 pages of threads to it.

• Content Count:  19,659
  • Days Won:  255

On a national perception, playing UCF is on par with FAU/FIU ... we have these games scheduled.

And when we can get FAU/FIU with an unbalanced return, they are more attractive.

I dunno about that first statement.

Anyway, I agree with what Jim has to say. USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. What are you gonna get from that? Nothing. We played in front of 22,000 actual bodies for the FIU game last year; yes more fans will "come because of USF" but right now 38,000 actual fans is much more than 22,000.

Further,I've seen it suggested many times, the Miami game is not annual. I will be willing to bet that in 2013 they will be looking to get out of the series. Its been said several times that the only series Miami wants on an annual basis that they don't have is Florida (they play in 2008 and 2013). I would LOVE a rivalry with them, in fact when the time comes I'm going to do anything I can to get it going. However, I also look at this from the perspceptive of the Miami fan, they have 2 enemies 1) FSU and 2) Florida. Then add Va Tech and Boston College as somewhat to that list. Even if we beat them a couple times, they'll brush it off and move on.

I agree that if we're gonna end this series we need to do so now. However, I don't necessarily think this series should it. The interest level of most of are fans is there, whether many want to admit it or not. And it is the best shot at a full blown close range geopgraphic rivalry. And while it's not there yet, the seeds are planted. Hell, the fact that there is 8 pages and only abouy 8 or UCF fans posting states otherwise.

Lets see that 8 page offseason Louisville/Rutgers/WVU thread...

Who is going to disagree with playing someone in conference?

• Content Count:  19,659
  • Days Won:  255

As to the attendance even if we take your numbers and do not go by paid attendance + students 22,000+22,000 = more than 38,000 and at least 6,000 more reasons to play F_U.

• Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

After reading through 9 pages on this topic, I have the following thought:

The line of debate about whether USF should continue the UCF series seems to be clearly drawn between...

1.  Those who feel it's good for the fanbase overall

2. Those who feel it's bad for the program overall

Im not afraid to say it. The USF-UCF series is popular with many fans on both sides. Granted.

But many here are saying that USF is hypocritical by wanting out of the UCF series, while continuing to schedule 1AA and other non BCS programs. This is not the case.

Let's face it. Currently, F_U or other 'lesser' FL teams do not pose a threat to USF stance as a program as we're generally not competing for the same recruits, students, etc, I'd say.  But UCF is currently still a little too close for comfort to USF. In true Machiavellian spirit, USF must decide how to deal with this threat to its sanctity. Do we play them every year in an attempt to dominate them? Or is there a different strategy that could do even more damage? (ie just ignore them)

I think the answer is obvious. It's what I have dubbed "Troy Syndrome".  Auburn and Bama absolutely refuse to play Troy (much to the bittered dismay of many Trojan fans), and it works out nicely. Why legitimize their program? If you beat them, so what? But one day, they WILL pull off an upset. And THAT's the one that will be remembered.

All that being said, I think the way things have transpired is working PERFECTLY in our favor. We waited until we matured as a program, then satisfied the public pressure to play them.  If things continue going our way, we'll have a 4-0 streak against them. The subsequent break in time until our next series with them (be it 5 years or 25 years down the road,) should allow us to widen the gap to a more comfortable level.  At that point, talk about a USF-UCF rivalry will be about as valid as talk of a UF-FIU rivalry.

USF is not only winning on the field -- we're also winning the war of perception.

In DW and CJL We Trust

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

Anyway, ... USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. ...

False. Neither of those teams are scheduled. We do not know who is replacing UCF. And I don't really look at it as "replacing". UCF was on the schedule for 2 games, then we were forced into 2 more. They are part of our past/future schedules. Fans have shown they like it, as I do. But let's see what DW has for future scheduling first.

0707bulls230.jpg

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

UCF has a ***** for us for some reason...they want to play us because no other team of our caliber will take them...

=]

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

On a national perception, playing UCF is on par with FAU/FIU ... we have these games scheduled.

And when we can get FAU/FIU with an unbalanced return, they are more attractive.

I dunno about that first statement.

Anyway, I agree with what Jim has to say. USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. What are you gonna get from that? Nothing. We played in front of 22,000 actual bodies for the FIU game last year; yes more fans will "come because of USF" but right now 38,000 actual fans is much more than 22,000.

Further,I've seen it suggested many times, the Miami game is not annual. I will be willing to bet that in 2013 they will be looking to get out of the series. Its been said several times that the only series Miami wants on an annual basis that they don't have is Florida (they play in 2008 and 2013). I would LOVE a rivalry with them, in fact when the time comes I'm going to do anything I can to get it going. However, I also look at this from the perspceptive of the Miami fan, they have 2 enemies 1) FSU and 2) Florida. Then add Va Tech and Boston College as somewhat to that list. Even if we beat them a couple times, they'll brush it off and move on.

I agree that if we're gonna end this series we need to do so now. However, I don't necessarily think this series should it. The interest level of most of are fans is there, whether many want to admit it or not. And it is the best shot at a full blown close range geopgraphic rivalry. And while it's not there yet, the seeds are planted. Hell, the fact that there is 8 pages and only abouy 8 or UCF fans posting states otherwise.

Lets see that 8 page offseason Louisville/Rutgers/WVU thread...

Who is going to disagree with playing someone in conference?

It doesn't just have to be about disagreeing to play them in conference. It could be anything pertaining to UCF and we get a large thread.

As to the attendance even if we take your numbers and do not go by payed attendance + students 22,000+22,000 = more than 38,000 and at least 6,000 more reasons to play F_U.

What?

Anyway, ... USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. ...

False. Neither of those teams are scheduled. We do not know who is replacing UCF. And I don't really look at it as "replacing". UCF was on the schedule for 2 games, then we were forced into 2 more. They are part of our past/future schedules. Fans have shown they like it, as I do. But let's see what DW has for future scheduling first.

0707bulls230.jpg

ET,

Its been laid out by Jim above, unless we schedule a 3rd BCS team each year we're going to be replacing UCF with another non BCS team. However, the AD and Coach have said that is the formula they are using for the next several seasons. And like the UCF game they'll probably be 1 and 1s because we just don't have the clout to be demanding a 2 for 1 from many of the better non-BCS teams.

Archived