Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

Smazza, you don't even understand the point.  Take some time before you rapid fire your nonsense in a thread.  You were right in your first post I think and then lost control of your comprehension ability to take shots at the schedule. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

2) We will play UCF again in the future.  The 2008 game won't be the last, just the last in the current series.  Expect sometime in the next decade there will be another series with the Knights. 

3) And it won't be unbalanced.  I don't see UAB or USM or ECU signing a 2 for 1 with USF, why should UCF.  Sure, we are BCS and they aren't... but they also aren't Sun Belt.  Expect a couple of 1 and 1 series in the next 10-12 years.

Jim,

I believe you and I had a debate about this very series last year when you vehemently stated that no matter what the school would follow the stated policy when it came to scheduling AA teams, non BCS teams and BCS teams. By your own defence UCF can't be scheduled in any way other than unbalanced.

2) This is my holdup on cancelling the series. We're replacing UCF with non-BCS games, and chances are, they will be 1 and 1s, not these 2 and 1s. The reason schools like FAU and FIU give us 2 for 1s is because they are hanging on to dear life to stay Division I-A; they don't have anything for leverage. We cannot afford to outbid the large programs to play those teams on a one shot game in Tampa. Our best bargaining chip is that we will go play in their stadiums in return for 2 games in Tampa and we get a cheaper payout to these schools.

Joe

Look at the future schedule year by year. We have one series ending in 08 and another starting in 09. As far as I can tell we have replaced UCF for Miami as an annual in state game and UCF gets demoted to the ranks of all other non bcs florida teams. We will still play them if they want it bad enough to agree to our terms...just as it should be.

-When the UCF riveraly comes up thread start being over 4 pages long

Proudbull,

This is a nonsensical comment. Yes, this topic always ends up with multiple pages however the majority of people are arguing against this game and I see more hate for the idea that the game should be played than any hate towards UCF. I also don't buy the idea that simply by commenting that we don't want to play the game that this somehow implies a hatred to them and interest in the game. I have zero interest in this game, have argued it year after year....I also hate playing the AA teams and have argued just as strongly about playing those games (btw, threads about those games also end up very long). Does this mean that myself and others that hat the idea of playing AA teams secretly hate these other teams and indicate potential rivalries with a AA team? IMO, if we ever actually end up with a true rivalry with UCF it will only be because we have been unsucessful playing the better teams.

You kinda proved my point. I was just noting that people care enough to argue against it.  Caring enough to for people to post 7 pages of threads I think can be seen as interest.   I agree with you stance on I-AA teams, but that is not just one team.  You don't see threads longer than a page or two on FAU or FIU, etc, etc.  It is always about UCF.  It was simply to note that just about every UCF thread becomes some big deal, like this one, and people get their panties in a bunch over it.  Additionally, it is not just about playing UCF it is everything that happens to involve UCF some how.  Also, even if we say that UCF is a rival doesn't mean that it is a big deal.  Look at UL, UK is thier supposed rival and I can guarantee that their fan base cares more about the WVU game than the UK. 

Anywho, my point is there is intrest and while posting a crap load of threads doesn't necessarily make them our rivals, it helps.  But hears the million dollar question, who cares?  IF they are a rival and we beat them down year and year, its fine and if play them for the last time in 2008, than so be it. 

I'll try to say it a different way....yes I care and care VERY much! However, assuming that means there is "interest" is way off base. What I care about is USF and what I think is good or bad for our program. For numerous reasons I think that pursuing this series, or even worse a rivalry, would be detrimental to our program. I would also go as far as to say it could be one of the worst decisions we could make and it is important enough to fight against it. Also to say that if we really didn't have interest in this game we would just be quiet is nonsense, why would I be quiet if I think that pursuing this is a bad idea?

so in summary:

Interest in game: NO

Interest in program making smart choice: YES (and this leads to the multi-page threads)

btw, it's pretty obvious those making the decisions feel the same way since it took blackmail to get a series in the first place.

• Content Count:  1,480

Actually, no. The scheduling formula does not say USF will only schedule 2 for 1s with non-BCS teams.  It does say that we will only schedule 1-1s with another BCS team.  I still stand by USF's scheduling formula.

Ummm, c'mon Jim I know your into politics but lets make a little sense here. I also did not say anything about 2 for 1, you said in your post that the series would not be "unbalanced" and as you quote above "we will only schedule 1-1s with another BCS team". Unless I am missing something here it is pretty clear cut. UCF is not BCS so the stated policy is that any series with them will be in fact "unbalanced"

The only way this would not be the case is if we change our policy as you so strongly pointed out to me last year about the AA teams.

Miami is not the "annual state game" becuase for several season we have played two teams from Florida (heck in 2005 we played 3!).  To be sure, USF has said they want to schedule games against Florida teams on a rotating basis.  The annual series with Miami was, after all, Miami's idea - not ours.  It's a great idea, but if it weren't for ESPN prompting Miami, I doubt we'd be seeing Miami on an "annual" basis.  Moreover, there is no guarantee the game will be played beyond 2013.

you misunderstood my poist. I'm talking about an annual series against an in-state opponent. People seem to feel that it is vital to have an in-state opponent that we play every year and thus keep pointing to UCF. That series will be ending and will be replaced with Miami, and my post was to point this out to Joe who is trying to say that the AA games are what we are getting instead. That is just wrong, we are replacing the annual series against in-state ucf for the annual series against in-state Miami. UCF is then on par with all the other non-bcs florida teams as an occassional option and if they want a series it will (and should be) on our terms.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

On a national perception, playing UCF is on par with FAU/FIU ... we have these games scheduled.

And when we can get FAU/FIU with an unbalanced return, they are more attractive.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

On a national perception, playing UCF is on par with FAU/FIU ... we have these games scheduled.

And when we can get FAU/FIU with an unbalanced return, they are more attractive.

Indeed.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

0707bulls230.jpg

:gobulls :gobulls :gobulls :gobulls :gobulls

• Content Count:  1,457

Thank the good lord that there will be no annual play between the Bulls and Golden Boys.  Peace to them but back to the mid-majors with ya....

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I still think UCF is incredibly bitter that USF didn't have to go through them to get to their place in line right behind UF, FSU, and Miami. When they demand an annual game, they're trying to get USF to throw them a tow rope, and that's not going to happen.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I dunno about that first statement.

Anyway, I agree with what Jim has to say. USF is replacing the UCF game, a game that brings interest, fans, and emotions with So Miss or Tulane or Ball State or Buffalo. What are you gonna get from that? Nothing. We played in front of 22,000 actual bodies for the FIU game last year; yes more fans will "come because of USF" but right now 38,000 actual fans is much more than 22,000.

Further,I've seen it suggested many times, the Miami game is not annual. I will be willing to bet that in 2013 they will be looking to get out of the series. Its been said several times that the only series Miami wants on an annual basis that they don't have is Florida (they play in 2008 and 2013). I would LOVE a rivalry with them, in fact when the time comes I'm going to do anything I can to get it going. However, I also look at this from the perspceptive of the Miami fan, they have 2 enemies 1) FSU and 2) Florida. Then add Va Tech and Boston College as somewhat to that list. Even if we beat them a couple times, they'll brush it off and move on.

I agree that if we're gonna end this series we need to do so now. However, I don't necessarily think this series should it. The interest level of most of are fans is there, whether many want to admit it or not. And it is the best shot at a full blown close range geopgraphic rivalry. And while it's not there yet, the seeds are planted. Hell, the fact that there is 8 pages and only abouy 8 or UCF fans posting states otherwise.

Lets see that 8 page offseason Louisville/Rutgers/WVU thread...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

ET, you really should go ahead and change the title of the poll to "SHOULD UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?" That's the way people are already reading it. There's no way that 50% of the respondents think that UCF, with their over inflated ego, WOULD accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor.... ;)

Archived