Bulls Series With UCF Likely Over

USFan

Would UCF accept an unbalanced series in USF's favor?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

THE GAME NEEDS TO PLAYED  but at usf's advantage until ftu/ou/oc becomes a bcs team

6 games in tampa

4 in orlando

and state should get involved if leavitt andusf remains scared

screw the 1aa game if we have to

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, and if that were the lone goal of building an NC caliber team you would have a point.

Scheduling is an integral part of a successful program...regardless of the benefits of geography.  We need to play real teams that benefit us.  Despite the close proximity for students, the game needs to be evaluated on how it benefits the program.  There is little to gain by beating UCF.   

we play 1aa teams every year so there goes that argument

usf ranked in the 60's in SOS last year so there goes that argument again

usf plays fau/fiu so there goes that argument a 3rd time

what are you afraid of in playing ftu/ou/oc?

Unfortunately the UCF game draws its own type of "crap"...and many feel that way KL.

We don't need games that attract an overwhelming number of UCF fans.  We need teams that draw our local fan base...

You guys sold your soul a long time ago for payday games, you have no other way of thinking.

who cares?

ftu/ou/oc's money is good

they out draw any 1aa crappy team we schedule or fau/fiu

cant you come up with anything better?

We have seen the UCF game draw a great deal of UCF fans to RJS. 

I think the Miami game will draw Bulls fans and potential Bulls fans to RJS to see the Bulls take on a proven and legit program like Miami.

UCF does not resonate with college football fans like Miami does.   Continuing the UCF series should be discussed along the same lines as continuing any other lower tier program in the state (FIU, FAU, etc.).

I don't care one way or the other if we play them - I just fail to see any reason to call it a rivalry or any kind of annual game. 

I think their fans are a hoot though. 

we arent comparing ftu/ou/oc with miami

they are compared with elam and the like or fau/fiu

respectfully i ask,where are your stats to back up your silly conclusions?

The reality is that there is NO ROOM in our schedule to play them again until 2011.

Time to move on. i enjoy the games but ill be enjoying even more the USF-UM games that will start in 2009 when UCF comes off the schedule.

\

usf can kick 1aa teams off schedule or move fau/fiu games

this is the only game alot of casual bulls fans want to see, from talking to many of them on campus...every year it increases our fan base and creates an ACTUAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE. There is no shame in playing a rivalry game with a team from a lesser conference as long as there is some good old fasioned hate involved. Who else would we replace this game with, a MAC team...another C-DOA squad (yawn, boring)...what is the point in doing that

it would be foolish for usf not to play ftu/ou/oc in a situation that benefits usf 

the legislature will force this game on usf so usf should cut a favorable deal

king leavitt will need to be forced into playing them i am afraid

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

Sept. 5            WOFFORD

Sept. 19          FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

Sept. 26          MIAMI

Oct. 9              at Indiana

Sept. 4            SAMFORD

Sept. 11          at Florida

Oct. 2              FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Nov.                at Miami

Nov.                MIAMI

Sept. 8            MICHIGAN STATE

Sept. 15          at Miami

Sept. 7            at Michigan State

Sept. 14          FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Nov.                MIAMI

Sept. 13          NC STATE

at Florida

INDIANA

I would say that DW is working on our scheduling very well. We have 2008 booked and 2009 & '10 only need 1 game. I think DW will continue getting UNC, KU, IN type teams and hopefully we land a "name" team also. Would also expect MAC and C-USA teams.

I see UCF as DW's "booty call" ... we know if we need a "score", we can call them.  :idhitit

I rethought my position earlier to email Constantine.  I guess the best way to make this go away is to ignore the knights and ignore constantine, unless he tries to pass some legislation.

What part of the fact that UM in 09 will bring way more fans than UCF don't people understand???

They won't.  Miami fans don't travel well at all.  Heck, they don't travel to the Orange Bowl.

I think the Miami game will draw Bulls fans and potential Bulls fans to RJS to see the Bulls take on a proven and legit program like Miami.

This is probably the more accurate way to post it.

2) We will play UCF again in the future.  The 2008 game won't be the last, just the last in the current series.  Expect sometime in the next decade there will be another series with the Knights. 

3) And it won't be unbalanced.  I don't see UAB or USM or ECU signing a 2 for 1 with USF, why should UCF.  Sure, we are BCS and they aren't... but they also aren't Sun Belt.  Expect a couple of 1 and 1 series in the next 10-12 years.

Jim,

I believe you and I had a debate about this very series last year when you vehemently stated that no matter what the school would follow the stated policy when it came to scheduling AA teams, non BCS teams and BCS teams. By your own defence UCF can't be scheduled in any way other than unbalanced.

Actually, no. The scheduling formula does not say USF will only schedule 2 for 1s with non-BCS teams.  It does say that we will only schedule 1-1s with another BCS team.  I still stand by USF's scheduling formula.

Each season:

1 I-AA team at home

1 BCS team at home

1 BCS team away

1 nonBCS team at home

1 nonBCS team away (at home if possible during 3-home-conference-game seasons)

These can be done with balanced or unbalanced schedules.  Besides, other than Sun Belt teams - who else will actually give USF 2 for 1 ?

2) This is my holdup on cancelling the series. We're replacing UCF with non-BCS games, and chances are, they will be 1 and 1s, not these 2 and 1s. The reason schools like FAU and FIU give us 2 for 1s is because they are hanging on to dear life to stay Division I-A; they don't have anything for leverage. We cannot afford to outbid the large programs to play those teams on a one shot game in Tampa. Our best bargaining chip is that we will go play in their stadiums in return for 2 games in Tampa and we get a cheaper payout to these schools.

Joe

Look at the future schedule year by year. We have one series ending in 08 and another starting in 09. As far as I can tell we have replaced UCF for Miami as an annual in state game and UCF gets demoted to the ranks of all other non bcs florida teams. We will still play them if they want it bad enough to agree to our terms...just as it should be.

Miami is not the "annual state game" becuase for several season we have played two teams from Florida (heck in 2005 we played 3!).  To be sure, USF has said they want to schedule games against Florida teams on a rotating basis.  The annual series with Miami was, after all, Miami's idea - not ours.  It's a great idea, but if it weren't for ESPN prompting Miami, I doubt we'd be seeing Miami on an "annual" basis.  Moreover, there is no guarantee the game will be played beyond 2013.

My philosophy on the UCF game has always been: play it every year UNTIL we get a regular game against one of the big 3.  Now that we do, I'm okay with playing 2-4 times every 10 years.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

this is the only game alot of casual bulls fans want to see, from talking to many of them on campus...every year it increases our fan base and creates an ACTUAL COLLEGE FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE. There is no shame in playing a rivalry game with a team from a lesser conference as long as there is some good old fasioned hate involved. Who else would we replace this game with, a MAC team...another C-DOA squad (yawn, boring)...what is the point in doing that

it would be foolish for usf not to play ftu/ou/oc in a situation that benefits usf 

the legislature will force this game on usf so usf should cut a favorable deal

king leavitt will need to be forced into playing them i am afraid

Almost no chance.  That guy from Toon Town proposed requiring the game to be played, but most state legistlators have better things to do with their time and USF has a lot more persuasive power in state government (see flag ship universities).  I can't imagine a situation in which USF chooses not to play UCF and the state legislature mandates or somehow ties USF funding to us playing that game.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I rethought my position earlier to email Constantine.  I guess the best way to make this go away is to ignore the knights and ignore constantine, unless he tries to pass some legislation.

What part of the fact that UM in 09 will bring way more fans than UCF don't people understand???

They won't.  Miami fans don't travel well at all.  Heck, they don't travel to the Orange Bowl.

This is probably the more accurate way to post it.

2) We will play UCF again in the future.  The 2008 game won't be the last, just the last in the current series.  Expect sometime in the next decade there will be another series with the Knights. 

3) And it won't be unbalanced.  I don't see UAB or USM or ECU signing a 2 for 1 with USF, why should UCF.  Sure, we are BCS and they aren't... but they also aren't Sun Belt.  Expect a couple of 1 and 1 series in the next 10-12 years.

Jim,

I believe you and I had a debate about this very series last year when you vehemently stated that no matter what the school would follow the stated policy when it came to scheduling AA teams, non BCS teams and BCS teams. By your own defence UCF can't be scheduled in any way other than unbalanced.

Actually, no. The scheduling formula does not say USF will only schedule 2 for 1s with non-BCS teams.  It does say that we will only schedule 1-1s with another BCS team.  I still stand by USF's scheduling formula.

Each season:

1 I-AA team at home

1 BCS team at home

1 BCS team away

1 nonBCS team at home

1 nonBCS team away (at home if possible during 3-home-conference-game seasons)

These can be done with balanced or unbalanced schedules.  Besides, other than Sun Belt teams - who else will actually give USF 2 for 1 ?

2) This is my holdup on cancelling the series. We're replacing UCF with non-BCS games, and chances are, they will be 1 and 1s, not these 2 and 1s. The reason schools like FAU and FIU give us 2 for 1s is because they are hanging on to dear life to stay Division I-A; they don't have anything for leverage. We cannot afford to outbid the large programs to play those teams on a one shot game in Tampa. Our best bargaining chip is that we will go play in their stadiums in return for 2 games in Tampa and we get a cheaper payout to these schools.

Joe

Look at the future schedule year by year. We have one series ending in 08 and another starting in 09. As far as I can tell we have replaced UCF for Miami as an annual in state game and UCF gets demoted to the ranks of all other non bcs florida teams. We will still play them if they want it bad enough to agree to our terms...just as it should be.

Miami is not the "annual state game" becuase for several season we have played two teams from Florida (heck in 2005 we played 3!).  To be sure, USF has said they want to schedule games against Florida teams on a rotating basis.  The annual series with Miami was, after all, Miami's idea - not ours.  It's a great idea, but if it weren't for ESPN prompting Miami, I doubt we'd be seeing Miami on an "annual" basis.  Moreover, there is no guarantee the game will be played beyond 2013.

My philosophy on the UCF game has always been: play it every year UNTIL we get a regular game against one of the big 3.  Now that we do, I'm okay with playing 2-4 times every 10 years.

Some Mac and lower tier CDOA teams would probably do 2-1 ones.  Look at WVU/Marshall.  That is basically a 5-2.  What is the difference between this series and that one.  Nothing.  If they want do a 5-2, we'll think about it and get back to them.  Otherwise, we move on.  Simple as that.

Archived