Reason why Notre Dang should join the Big East

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

They will only have to play a 4 Away games each season and can load up their Home Games with whoever they want and play 8 Home games a year.

Notre Dang can keep their NBC contract and get their TV money and make boat loads of money with 8 Home games.

They win the conference or come in 2nd, they would/could automaticly get a BCS Game.

Know there are more knowledgeble fans and people familiar with the Lucky Irish, please educate me why this wouldn't work ?

They would not play 8 home games per year given their traditional opponents of Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Navy, and Southern Cal...  in fact, they'd have to cancel one of those game every year.  I don't see that happening.  They also rotate these games home-and-home.  So that means they would never get 8 home games per year in any conference (even the Big 10).

Also, once they are in a conference, they would have to win it to get an automatic bid into the BCS.  A 2nd place Notre Dame team would not get an "automatic" bid... although they still may get an at large bid.

If Notre Dame joins any conference -- and there is a better chance of Paris Hilton being elected president -- then it will be the Big 10.  The oldest, most storied conference in college football.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

Great post Jim.  Quality vs quantity.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

They'd also have to split any BCS money with the other big east teams... they keep it all now.  Why would any school want to give that up?

They'd also have to split any BCS money with the other big east teams... they keep it all now.  Why would any school want to give that up?

All they get now is the equivalent to what they would get in a conference.  However, they don't get anything if they don't get to the BCS -- so they would actually make  more post-season money in a conference than they do now.

• Content Count:  19,229

All they get now is the equivalent to what they would get in a conference.  However, they don't get anything if they don't get to the BCS -- so they would actually make  more post-season money in a conference than they do now.

If the Big east gets say $10MM and splits it between its schools... are you saying that ND doesn't get the $10MM if they get a bcs bowl?  I've always been under the impression they get it all.  They should... i mean... why should the bowl committee get to keep the other 7 portions assuming it it was divided 8 ways (unevenly of course)

• Content Count:  9,038

I am not following your question...please rephrase?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If the Big east gets say $10MM and splits it between its schools... are you saying that ND doesn't get the $10MM if they get a bcs bowl?  I've always been under the impression they get it all.  They should... i mean... why should the bowl committee get to keep the other 7 portions assuming it it was divided 8 ways (unevenly of course)

This new BCS contract (Fox one) ND was regulated to receiving the average payout that a Conference Champ gets for going to a BCS game...which is aroun 4-5 Million. They used to get all 14-17 Million before that. But the leagues complained that it gave one team too much power and money and ND knowing they have a sweet deal regardless agreed to lower standards.

If they don't make the BCS they still get the average of a team that didn't make the BCS in the BCS conferences which is around a million.

• Content Count:  3,185

If Notre Dame were to ever move to a conference (which the odds of that right now are probably 25/75 move/not move ratio), they'd probably go the way of the Big Ten, just because they could keep 3 of their usual rivals (Mich, Mich St, and Purdue).  It's also a bit more regionally savvy (although Louisville is a stretch in the Big East...lol).  I'm also sure the Big Ten would love to hit the 12-team requirement for the lucrative conference championship game.  The only problem left would be the Big Ten name, maybe they'd change it to Classic Twelve or Super Twelve.

• Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

I say the Irish go Independent in all sports and we pick up another all sports member.

Archived