Army-Navy proposal alive on Big East table

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I tell you what playing the Elons and Samfords of the world gets a school.

1. A Home opponent that you DONT havre to give a return trip to.

2. A nice money take without having to spend as much money to get them to visit.

3. A win that gets you closer to Bowl eligibility

4. A game that serves as an excihibition game to break in your new players.

In case you havent notice MOST BCS schools have an Elon or similar scheduled EVERY Year.

And when we have our OCS, it will help so much more.

:-\

I should have just left the line I was referring to.  :-\ When we have an OCS, we'll be able to make more money off these games.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Army and Navy yes - UCF and ECU no.  Marshall has history and great tradition - they would be a fine addition also.  Hope for ND is not likely b/c they have an awesome contract w/NBC.  I would like to see Army/Navy come aboard - punnishing running game and that is classic big east style!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I tell you what playing the Elons and Samfords of the world gets a school.

1. A Home opponent that you DONT havre to give a return trip to.

2. A nice money take without having to spend as much money to get them to visit.

3. A win that gets you closer to Bowl eligibility

4. A game that serves as an excihibition game to break in your new players.

In case you havent notice MOST BCS schools have an Elon or similar scheduled EVERY Year.

And when we have our OCS, it will help so much more.

:-\

I should have just left the line I was referring to.  :-\ When we have an OCS, we'll be able to make more money off these games.

<thumbs up smiley>

• Content Count:  701

beats adding UCF

• Content Count:  1,797

I can't believe stale dribble from Mitchie (the Marshall U. tool) Vingle generated this many responses.  Cincy, Louisville, Syracuse and UConn are hoops schools.  Yes, Louisville.  They will NEVER, EVER want to stop having the opportunity to play Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova and the NYC teams in hoops.  The TV deals for hoops are just way too important to them.  Likewise, I cannot EVER imagine Georgetown, Marquette, et al saying, "Let's dump Louisville, UConn and Cuse from our schedule and pick up somebody else."  It ain't gonna happen.

So what are the choices for BE football teams in terms of scheduling?  Well, if I remember correctly, Mr. Tranghese already struck a deal with ND which will help in a small, but important way with our OOCs.  I can see the BE striking similar deals with Army and Navy, but not necessarily 4 games a year from each.  We might end up striking a deal with another conference for OOC games too.  Bottom line is as our league gets stronger, we get more TV games and we can put together more OOC packages.

Let's also not forget that WV and Marshall have a long term OOC deal, Louisville has Kentucky every year putting them in position to only need 4 games per year, we are positioning ourselves with Miami to do the same as the Ville and WVU, Cincy plays Miami of Ohio every year too.  I don't think our league scheduling woes are as bad as "The Tool" Vingle and other Big East haters would have everyone believe.

Trust me.....no split.  Scheduling will be fine with or without Army and Navy.

Normal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I agree that scheduling doesn't seem to be that bad of a deal, atleast for USF.

We know that we'll have a 1AA team each year and Army/Navy won't be that big of an upograde.

Hope to land more 2 or 3 for 1 deals with MAC or Sun Belt teams to get 7 Home games also.

But can't wait to get more BCS teams scheduled. Really would like to play more SEC and ACC teams especially.

• Content Count:  1,457

We are playing more ACC teams - look at NC games and multi-year deal w/Miami!  Also look at SEC  hook ups - Auburn (and when we defeat them) more will follow.  Patience Grasshopper!

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

If you're talking about SEC and ACC teams, I'd like to see a series with one of these teams - I think these are all realistic or at least possible. Getting a 1-1 with Florida, Georgia, LSU, or Tennessee would probably be a pipe dream.

South Carolina - not only very winnable, but also you still get a ton of people to show up to the game because of Spurrierm and they're not going to root for S.C., are they?

Clemson - quality opponent, good name, losing to each other doesn't hurt very much since the recruiting areas are so much different.

Virginia Tech - another quality opponent, good practice for a team like West Virginia, a rags-to-riches program that USF should really try to emulate, other than all the Vick brothers' off-field hijinks.

Archived