Army-Navy proposal alive on Big East table

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting proposal.  I would be interested ins seeing USF play Navy or Army each year.

The last time they were in Ray Jay the boys from Hudson High waxed the Bulls ass after being behind 28-14 at the half.  What is  to be gained from playing the Military Academies unless we stop playing the Elons, Waffords, and Samfords?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe, they would not be members, they both would maintain their independent status.  This is a win-win for Army/Navy and the BE.  We have our 8 game "conference" schedule and they get flexibility to maintain independence.  Plus they get to play 4 good opponents and 8 cupcakes if they want.  They may also help secure more/better bowls for the BE if we let them piggy back off our deals like ND (IF, not that we have to).  Navy, especially, is competitive and has national appeal.  Army too, but they aren't so good.  So you have a almost sure win with an opponent that has national appeal.   

I LOVE this idea.  I think it is the best solution rather than adding Memphis, EZU, or CFU (no, NO, and NOOO!)

The only other realistic team I would like to see added would be TCU.  (Why aren't they ever mentioned, they are no farther away from the rest of the BE than Tampa, do a mapquest search).

TX,

They would want too much, access to BE bowls, more TV money, selectivity of opponents. I don't see them joining just to alleviate the Big East, if they do the 4 game deal they are going to want a lot out of the Big East.

As for TCU I have agreed that its a perfect team.

Dispite what some think on here the Big East is going to expand eventually for one of two reasons. (1) The Basketball schools will split. There are alreaqdy rumblings and the fact that some BE schools were the major push for the expansion of the NCAA tournament has me believing that this could happen eventually. (2) The BCS will force an expansion, those 10-11-12 team conferences are not going to sit around and let the Big East hand out more of the cut from the BCS pool to their teams. I think they'll force an expansion to 10 to maintain our BCS status (this would come in 5 years or so if it happened)

• Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Interesting proposal.  I would be interested ins seeing USF play Navy or Army each year.

The last time they were in Ray Jay the boys from Hudson High waxed the Bulls ass after being behind 28-14 at the half.  What is  to be gained from playing the Military Academies unless we stop playing the Elons, Waffords, and Samfords?

What does it get you? I tell you what playing the Elons and Samfords of the world gets a school.

1. A Home opponent that you DONT havre to give a return trip to.

2. A nice money take without having to spend as much money to get them to visit.

3. A win that gets you closer to Bowl eligibility

4. A game that serves as an excihibition game to break in your new players.

In case you havent notice MOST BCS schools have an Elon or similar scheduled EVERY Year.

• Content Count:  195

What does it get you? I tell you what playing the Elons and Samfords of the world gets a school.

2. A nice money take without having to spend as much money to get them to visit.

In case you havent notice MOST BCS schools have an Elon or similar scheduled EVERY Year.

Now, take a deep breath, exhale very slowly and then read the question  I asked.

• Content Count:  928

Go back to Orlando, mouth breather.

• Content Count:  4,016

It's very simple, the non-football refuse to allow any new members including football only.  The partial inclusion of these two would help teams with scheduling and lessen the need for a fifth OOC, or at least the OOC would be against a partial member in Army or Navy.   It's actually a wonderful idea given the fact we're never going to see expansion in the BE and all the BE football teams are worried about OOC scheduling particularly with some teams getting good enough that smaller schools are less inclined to provide advantageous scheduling. 

Bien,

I know you had mentioned the contract extension through 2013 the other day. I've been told that there is still an option (Think in 2009, as the original contract stated) to split the leagues, I really wouldn't rule out expansion. However, I do think that if the basketball and football sides spilt it will be because the basketball side wants out and NOT because the football side wants to add a team.

Joe, I've been told from some very powerful people in this process that expansion will never, ever be an option for the Big East in it's current structure.  One team in particular has said if another team was added they would leave to go independent- probably whisky talk but still a threat nontheless.  Also, there is no opt out options for a per team basis, although there is a buyout amount.  The Big East in it's current state is as close to etched in stone as you'll find it, but i do agree with you that if a split occurs it will probably be the hoops side wanting out, and not because of the football side wanting to add a team.  That's a real ironic statement you made too Joe because so many clueless internet fans think football schools would be the most disgruntled and dying to spin-off.  Not so, particularly now that the hoops teams have become 8 again.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I'd like to play Navy, but not Army.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I'd like to play Navy, but not Army.

Nightmares still haunting you?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

I tell you what playing the Elons and Samfords of the world gets a school.

And when we have our OCS, it will help so much more.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I tell you what playing the Elons and Samfords of the world gets a school.

And when we have our OCS, it will help so much more.

:-\

Archived